Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Wild and Scenic Rogue River, Southern Oregon

This trip report is long overdue. My daughter (8), her classmate (8), her father (age unknown), and I (41!) took two trips to the Wild and Scenic section of the Rogue River in southern Oregon.

This 84 mile section of the 215 mile long river is closed to all motorized traffic and follows the river through deep canyons (google map). The trailhead starts at Grave Creek.

The first trip, April 25-26, the four of us hiked in 1.5 miles to Rainie Falls, a class V rapids. The second trip, June 25-26, we hiked 3 miles to Whisky Creek.

On both trips, the weather was perfect, dropping into the middle 40's (first trip) and middle 50's (second trip) at night with bright sunshine during the days. The trail runs along the northern edge of the canyon and in some places can be quite high but the campsites are down at the water. Poison oak was everywhere, but the campsites were clear (whew!). In April, the wild flowers were everywhere but they had dried out by June.

The girls had a blast climbing trees, panning for gold, and eating smores. My daughter and I were in Hennesy hammocks with 2 red river gorge quilts, one No Sniveler, and one sleeping bag. Both of us were toasty and comfortable. Our friends slept on the ground. Oh well . . .

At Rainie Falls, my daughter and I shared a tarp. Take note of the ground. Rocks don't scare us! We never got any rain but there was a fairly stiff wind that the tarp helped keep under control.

At Whisky Creek, wind wasn't a problem and it was later in the year so it was warmer. We had clear skies and the sound of the river to help us drift off to sleep.

On the June trip, as I was filtering water from the river, I watched a large bird float on the air currents for 10 minutes and then dive the water. I saw vultures, hawks, herons, and some other's I couldn't identify. Lizards were everywhere; my daughter quit counting at 45 after about 2 hours of hiking. My friend saw one rattle snake which was gone by the time he got back to camp to tell me. Shoot! I've never seen one and I'd like to, but from a respectable distance.

Currently, it is 110 during the day so I don't think we'll be going back until things cool off a bit. But you can be sure we'll be headed back once September rolls around.

If you are so inclined, you can see more photos here.

FreeTheWeasel
    Last edited by FreeTheWeasel; 07-31-2009 at 11:02. Reason: Got my daughter's age wrong! Doh!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Beautiful country, did you find any gold? thanks for sharing your trip.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Nice report.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    hammock camping/hiking along a river, doesnt get much better than that.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Greetings,

We didn't find any nuggets of gold, but we did chase a number of dull colored, shiny flecks that certainly looked like gold from above the water. I think they were actually small fish, however, because no matter how you tried to pick them up out of the water, they darted sideways. Panning was a bit of an overstatement. It was more like reach and grab.

It is beautiful there. There are only two ways to travel that section: float on rafts or walk. I'm hoping for the four day raft trip next year.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mighty fine report.....
    Cannot believe the heat your way!!!!