WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    For winter camping only, I might lean towards an enclosed winter-tarp instead, rather than an over-cover. It will give better overall blocking protection, without the same condensation considerations.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Winter Tarp like the Superfly or the Speer winter tarp? I've been out of the scene for a few months, so I'm not up to date on the latest and greatest.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Images
    superfly design has changed as of late, 4 same-sized overlapping doors that are removeable via button snaps. blue or dark grey sil

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongTurn View Post
    Alright guys and gals lets here some opinions on this setup.

WBBB 1.7Single layer
    MacCat Ultra or a Deluxe in Spinnaker (Need help Choosing)
    JRB Old Rag
    JRB Mount Washington..........
    I am with Cannibal on the Ultra, only because it would give you better ability to mostly close one end to block wind and/or wind driven snow. Though if you are going to be using some sort of hammock cover, that will allow a smaller tarp. But blocking that wind is of utmost importance.

The JRB MWUQ is about as superb a piece of gear as you will find. This type of design requires minimal adjustment for a gap free fit, as there is no worry about compressing the down. It has a max low "rating" of, I think, 0-10*F. (assuming wind is dealt with). I did fine with it in a dbl layer 1.7 BB in a VERY windy 18*F. On a night with far less wind, I was fine @ 11*F in a JRB bridge. So far I have never felt a cold spot head to toe. Although, I do add a Grip Clip and a bit of shock cord on the foot end with the WBBB. This goes over the BB ridge line and I think it helps prevent any gap on the foot end, though if I was good enough at adjustment I might not need this. This is not needed with the JRB bridge hammock.

That single layer 1.7 BB will probably be fine and save you some weight. But if you plan on camping at zero, and then there is wind chill if you can't get a perfect tarp pitch or sheltered site.... or If the night is way colder than the forecast low of zero, you might need a pad. One advantage to a PeaPod is the nearly unlimited ability to add clothing, space blankets or pads( or dry leaves or whatever) between pod and hammock to way extend the rating. A no gap design ( JRB MWUQ, Speer Snugfit, WB Yeti) probably won't work well with this approach, since the "snug" fit would compress any loft you added.( Though I think adding a VB/space blanket and/or a light, flexible pad might work OK, need to experiment) But if you have to add a pad to the hammock on a rare super cold night, a double layer sure would make that easier. Although, it could also be done with a Speer SPE for little cost and 3 or 4 oz.

The ORM should be fine, especially with warm clothing. Though your size should always be considered, especially with a quilt. Just make sure whatever you get is wide enough and long enough for you. I guarantee you don't want any drafts when you turn over at zero! Also, consider a separate hood, a major warmth booster! Lacking that, make sure the quilt is long enough to pull over your head ( when side sleeping only), forming a faux hood with breathing hole.

Welcome back, WT!
    Whoo Buddy(sorry Shug), are you gonna have fun and adventure!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-01-2009 at 09:49.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Welcome back, Wrongturn! I once spent a number of years not being able to hike, now I'm back and I know how good it feels. I sure like my Speer Winter Tarp. It will be a hard choice between all the good ones out there now.
    Hang loose. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Welcome back. We were worried about you!

IMHO: A hammock sock adds (easily) 10 degrees to whatever set up you have, and a "WInter tarp" that you can close up adds at least 5 degrees.

I think the gear you have selected should do fine for at MtRogers. My tarp is a 13.5' x 10' from Brian/OES. I can close off both ends easily & still have room to move about under my tarp.

It'll be great to see you again.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongTurn View Post
    Took a serious downturn with my health and sold off all my hammock gear. Now I'm starting over, and looking to spend around 1000 dollars to get back into the game. Looking for a setup that will be sufficient for the Mt. Rogers hang in January. I still have my pack, cook ware, and all that jazz.

I need an underquilt, quilt, hammock, and tarp. I have my ENO single, but honestly I hate it.

I was thinking JRB Old Rag, JRB Mount Washington.

Can't decide on Hammock or Tarp.

Have honestly been thinking about going back to ground and using JRB quilts
    Warbonnet is good

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123