Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies

Question for the folks around Billings, MT

Next July I'm headed out to Billings for the National BMW motorcycle rally.. I'd rather not drag a tent along and I'm wondering if there's any places to hang in the MetraPark? The rally is held in the park, and camping is part of the fee. And since I know I'll be enjoying a beer or two, I will be camping there at the facility (I don't drink and ride).

This will be 7/23-25 and I'm just trying to be proactive. Actually, I know there's a few of us in the group that will be hanging, so I thought I'd see how easy it'll be to locate some places to hang in the facility? The "group" will be about 6-7K people attending, but 1/3 will be motelling it, and the overall majority are ground dwellers.

This will be part of my 2 week vacation and I'm hoping to hang for the rest of it, but while attending the rally I'd also like to hang and not have to drag along both tent and hammock gear on the bike.

Anyway, back to the original point, I'm just looking for folks that know the park and if it's hammock friendly??
    No man is an island. Except the Isle of Man.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I live in Billings.

MetraPark isn't really a park, per se. More of a gathering of multiuser facilities, fair grounds, horse facilities, arena, etc.

As such there are very few trees and a lot of pavement.

I would suggest nearby parks, though I am not sure about overnight camping in them. There's Swords Park on the Rimrocks, and Two Moon Park on the Yellowstone. Both are within a mile or so of MetraPark.

Another close possibility would be the local KOA, which is on the Yellowstone as well.

I'll take a look around. Since you've got a bit of time I can scout a bit for you.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    Thanks and the info is greatly appreciated!!

I looked at Google Earth and kinda gathered as much, (hence the reason for the question) I'm guessing it's somewhat secure, as these rallies are typically around $50 for the three days and the general public is welcome as long as you spend the same amount.. Usually they're held in a State Fair facility that can be secured with limited access..

Since I'm spending $50 and would like to be able to enjoy an adult beverage and walk to my campsite (the secure part of this is an advantage) I'd like to remain on the grounds during the event, other than the standard wandering during the day and before and after the rally..

One question.. If it's a horse facility, usually they'll have pretty clean stables that work very well for hanging a hammock diagonal in a stall. I've played this game at a couple other rallies and usually there's a nice breeze and there's no need for a tarp since you're indoors. Normally they're washed down after events so there might be a slight horse smell, but the floors are clean of horse apples.

I usually ride out to WY/MT/Etc once every three years and next year's rally location seemed like a nice stopover.. I'll have several friends there to catch up with, too, but nothing is ever etched into stone. I haven't figured out what I'm doing next weekend, let alone 11 months from now.

Since you now know what's going on that weekend, it's a pretty good opportunity to make some quick cash if you can figure out how to draw folks in.. Just remember that the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider.. And the loudest thing on a BMW is the rider's clothes.. The good thing is they're a quiet bunch. No loud pipes, and these folks like to eat.. Set up a booth with BBQ or ice cream at the venture and you're going to sell out before the weekend's over..

This year's rally was smack dab in the middle of the Twin Cities.. It was only 5 hours from me, but I HATE driving through there when I'm getting paid, I sure as heck didn't want to go ride up there on my vacation.. Billings will be a welcome change..

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just performed at the Montana Fair in MetraPark and there are some usable trees around there. I was over by the 4th ave side. If you have the run of the place and can camp anywhere you'll find something but you may be in the hub-bub.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I am a BMW R1150GS owner, hammock camper and a native Billings-ite(?) living in Boise. I didn't know the rally was in my hometown. I am sooo in. Thanks for the heads up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    There's no overnight camping in Swords or Two Moon. I'd go with Shug's reply if you have the run of the grounds. Trees and grass along the SW side, but it's flat and will be attracting the tenters.
    Will check on some other options for you.
    Jealous, since I've been banned from bikes.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
    I am a BMW R1150GS owner, hammock camper and a native Billings-ite(?) living in Boise. I didn't know the rally was in my hometown. I am sooo in. Thanks for the heads up.
    I'm glad I mentioned it.. Sounds like a chance for you to have fun, catch up with family and get some riding in.
    It's a nice party and the rally always shocks the locals.. At first they're nervous, you know, because of all the rough and tumble "Bikers".. In the end, the only difference is that the extra folks in town are on quiet motorcycles.. Here's a video from the rally a month ago in Minneapolis/St. Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp1E9O_IQ6M

They're always looking for entertainment and Shug would have been a perfect match, especially since the rally was in the Twin Cities. Maybe something to consider next year in Billings??

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    There's no overnight camping in Swords or Two Moon. I'd go with Shug's reply if you have the run of the grounds. Trees and grass along the SW side, but it's flat and will be attracting the tenters.
    Will check on some other options for you.
    Jealous, since I've been banned from bikes.
    Greatly appreciated! I know there's several other people who'll be happy to have a hanging space rather than tent it.

• + New Posts