Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge and XLC?

Edge and XLC?

Hey guys,

Anyone have any photos of an XLC w/ Edge tarp? Or have any of you have this setup? What kind of coverage does the Edge give the XLC?

Thanks

Parz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I've been looking for videos on the Edge with the regular WBBB but have only found a few. Haven't seen any with XLC.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't have an XLC, but I used the Edge with an 11' DH Roaming Gnome last year. The coverage is OK as long as the weather is not too bad. The critical areas are the ends: I'm used to a 10' hammock / 11' tarp combo, and the tarp felt a lot shorter with an 11' hammock / 11' tarp combo. If the XLC is similar to the regular Blackbird, it is probably more shallow than the Roaming Gnome. With the DH RG I had to hang the tarp fairly low to get (what I felt was) adequate coverage. Still, as long as you're not hanging in a rain storm and pick your site well, your underquilt should stay fairly dry. You could always use an underquilt protector. I still love the Edge. I took it hiking all summer, but mostly with my 10' WBBB. It's a neat little tarp.

Thanks for the answers. I will take some photos during my trip this friday - in case someone down the road has the same question.

Thanks again!

Great question. According to the website the Edge is supposed to be adequate for the XLC. I just ordered an XLC with the Edge last night, so I hope they work well together lol. I will eventually get a larger tarp if I feel it is needed later down the road. I would not mind seeing some more pics to put my mind at ease.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I don't have an XLC, but I used the Edge with an 11' DH Roaming Gnome last year. The coverage is OK as long as the weather is not too bad. The critical areas are the ends: I'm used to a 10' hammock / 11' tarp combo, and the tarp felt a lot shorter with an 11' hammock / 11' tarp combo.
    I have to agree with this - the Edge is a bit skimpy on end coverage for an 11 ft. hammock. I borrowed an Edge last week and when I mentioned to the owner that it seemed to be rather skimpy on end coverage, his reply was, "It has worked great for me, but I've only used it with my 10 ft. WBBB."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have to agree with this - the Edge is a bit skimpy on end coverage for an 11 ft. hammock. I borrowed an Edge last week and when I mentioned to the owner that it seemed to be rather skimpy on end coverage, his reply was, "It has worked great for me, but I've only used it with my 10 ft. WBBB."
    As 'the owner' he's talking about, I'll chime in and add that the Edge SS references was the original model, from before the XLC was in production. Since adding the XLC to his regular offerings, Warbonnet has changed the specs on the Edge to have a longer ridge line.

Old school specs on the Edge: 126" L x 98" W
    New Specs: 132" L x 94" W

The original Edge was minimal but provided adequate coverage for a regular 10' WBBB. The new Edge design is a touch longer but a few inches narrower - I would wager that it similarly allows for adequate coverage of the 11' XLC, and decent coverage for the 10' WBBB. If you add the optional door kit, even better.

The new design of the tarp is made, as far as I can tell, with the XLC in mind - so I can only imagine that it will work as planned. Just realize that it is somewhat of a minimal 'backpacking' tarp - if it's bad weather, you'll have to pitch it low to the hammock, and might have to get creative if the weather is real bad and the wind/rain is blowing at the ends of the tarp. But it should keep you dry.

YMMV.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Edge I used with the DH RG is the new 11' version. As I said: great with a 10' hammock, OK with an 11' hammock. But I might be biased since I usually have more coverage with my 10' hammock.

Thanks for the info on the newer version. It puts my mind at ease for my current order.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I wonder why the 4" loss on width? Weight? Fabric cost?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast