11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings

Help choosing tarp

So, I have a few backpacking trips under my belt with my eno profly tarp (not the tiny dry fly that most everyone seems to hate). I don't regret buying it because I had a gift card that covered most of the cost. But each time I set this thing up in the woods miles from my car, I find myself hoping that the weather doesn't turn because I feel like if I get the setup wrong and the weather turns, I may be my down quilts wet (not fun) even though it has done a good job keeping me dry in light rain. So I'm considering another tarp.

I'm looking for something that would be a little more forgiving on the set up (larger) and give some room under for prolonged rain storms which occur often here in GA. I think doors or the ability to fold in the corners would be nice for privacy and potential windy / rain cold. O yes, I'd really like to stay around the $150 range or less if possible, but realize that price usually varies inversly with weight. Also, I'm unsure of the pros and cons of the different materials.

So far I've found a few tarps that may work from Warbonnet outdoors, and possibley some from Hennessy hammocks. Although I think the hennessy ones are a little smaller. Anything else that I should be considering???

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you have the skills, go DIY. The wilderness logic tadpole with a for mod is a good option too

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    Warbonnet superfly, bombproof coverage.

Hammock
    Hennessey Evader
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hook
    Images
    I just ordered me a Superfly yesterday after reading all the reviews.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

WB, Hennessy, OES in SilNylon all good as far as I know

You identified two that I consider top choices for tarps under $150 with built in doors WB and Hennessy. there is also this one:

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ason_tarps.php

Some people do not like the side panel pullouts, consider them unnecessary and a source of leaks or failures. I.e. internal spreader poles do not require side panel pull out tabs. BUT the majority of people that I know find that it is easy to seal these if there are any leaks and there are various methods to pull them out and this can provide more space under, either way external pulls outs or internal poles. So take that into consideration. My opinion is that there is NOT JUST ONE BEST TARP. Many good tarps to choose from.

A final option (that I can think of) is to buy Cuben Fiber and make your own tarp with doors for about $150 but this is a little risky if you are not a skilled DIYer and have some experience with Cuben Fiber or a friend who does who can help you. Typically about $25/yard and you might need about 9 yards so probably not under budget, but I could be wrong. Therefore I would consider SilNylon at about 8 ounces this Warbonnet Superfly option is still fairly light for most backpacking applications. Polyester low cost alternatives (offered by Hennessy and probably others in my opinion would be better for car or canoe types of camping) but Hennessy makes Typhoon and Monsoon in SilNylon well under $150 that are OK for most backpacking, just not Super Ultra Light (SUL).

Edit: one of several fabric charts if you decide to make your own tarp:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mparison-Sheet

I had heard reports that OES had supply problems in the past but hopefully that has all been worked out.
    Warbonnet Outdoors does not keep large amounts in a warehouse, generally will make it when you order it so be sure you order it several weeks, possibly a month before you need it. Personally I believe the quality is well worth the short wait.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-24-2014 at 15:30. Reason: edit: add link to Fabric Comparison Chart

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Also check out the tarps at Wilderness Logics, such as the Old Man Winter. Great tarps for great prices!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I have a DIY superfly in silnylon. It is my year round tarp. I like the options and the privacy. That said, if winter camping isn't your things, and privacy isn't an issue, the hex tarps are great and easy to set up. My sons have the Hennessy Hex tarp and it works great for them.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    WB makes great tarps that are high quality, lightweight and cheap. Not many other tarps I know of are all three. You don't even need to seam-seal anything, unless you want to use the porch mode in heavy rain. In that case it's sufficient to seal the pull-outs.

If you want doors, take the Superfly. Otherwise the Mamajamba provides a lot of coverage for less weight.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    A final option (that I can think of) is to buy Cuben Fiber and make your own tarp with doors for about $150
    Um, where are you finding Cuben that cheap? 9 yards of Cuben is $234 for 0.51oz to $288 for 0.67oz camo. Most other tarp-usable weights fall between those two... A DIY superfly-ish clone out of 0.9oz SilArgon comes in at under $70 though with a final fabric weight of under 12oz.

• + New Posts