DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Cheapo top quilt idea.

Walmart has a twin bed 100% polyester blanket for about $5.00. Its in the bedding section by the fleece throws. The blanket is plenty big enough to cut down and use as a summer top insulation. It feels pretty light weight, though. I would be confidant using it down to maybe 60 degrees. Has anyone else tried it and if so what would you say the lower temp rating is?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Temperature rating of a quilt/blanket is largely dependent on the person that is using it and what they are using for bottom insulation. If you have adequate bottom insulation, most people can get away with a less insulation on top. As for this polyester blanket the only way to know is to spend the $5 and invest some time to make it into a top quilt and test it out with your bottom insulation. Then you'll know how well it works for you.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I bought 2 of the $3 50"x60" fleece blankets from Walmart and without doing anything special I was comfortable down to the mid 60s. I'd think you could add a layer of ripstop and be set down to 60, and maybe lower.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by RedStix View Post
    I bought 2 of the $3 50"x60" fleece blankets from Walmart and without doing anything special I was comfortable down to the mid 60s. I'd think you could add a layer of ripstop and be set down to 60, and maybe lower.
    Thanks. I want to do a 50 degree quilt or blanket. I have a 20 degree nearly full length underquilt (jarbidge) and a 20 degree down top quilt. The down top quilt is way too warm for late spring summer or early fall in the southeast. The walmart blanket doesn't sound like it would get me there based on your experience.

I want lightweight and not bulky so i may have to buy another down topquilt. A poncho liner almost does it, but its a bit bulky and a little heavy. It is cheap though.

I've used fleece like you describe for one overnight in the woods in my HH Eped. With one under me and one on top inside the hammock I was adequately comfortable in overnight temps that dropped to maybe 65 F. I wore just shorts and a t-shirt to sleep. If I had to do it again, I'd probably want to double up on the fleece on top. It did get a bit cool in the wee hours and was difficult to keep out the breeze. Had I taken an extra shirt, even just a long-sleeve something or other I would have been fine with just the one fleece under me and one over me. For what it's worth, I did not wear any hat to bed, so I was losing some warmth there as well. Bottom line, though, I slept well enough to consider using the same setup again in similar temps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I saw mentioned in another thread a 'Thermarest Tech Blanket'. It comes in 3 sizes - one of them might be right for a top quilt. It is claimed to be warmer and lighter than a poncho liner.
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...lanket/product
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I saw mentioned in another thread a 'Thermarest Tech Blanket'. It comes in 3 sizes - one of them might be right for a top quilt. It is claimed to be warmer and lighter than a poncho liner.
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...lanket/product
    Thanks. I've noticed those and they are nice. They are a little heavy though. I'm looking for something around a pound or less.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've used a poly fleece blanket in the summer as a TQ down to about 55 degrees (with a 20* UQ). I got mine from the American Red Cross as a token of appreciation for having my home wrecked by Hurricane Sandy. I really like fleece, though it's a bit bulky. I would be surprised if my fleece blanket weighed much more than my 40* down TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts