Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Yeah - the weakest link - why use spectra cord or cord rated at 1600 lbf or more and then use a component rated at ONLY 500 lbf?

If you are going to use a component rated at only 500 lbf, then why not use para cord for the suspension? At 550 lbf, the para cord is still stronger than the rope tie and the rope tie would still be the weak link. Would you feel safe using para cord for your hammock suspension?
    Good point, I was blocking out my experience with paracord. I was only sitting in a hammock using paracord for about 20 sec before I was sitting on the ground, I'll stay away from this for now.

Interesting now they show a hammock in use with it though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I just ordered the monster size for my Explorer UL.

I wonder if there is a risk of it weakening the line.......................
    Well after you have used it for a while you can give us a report so I know whether or not to try the ones i have on mine. I am thinking of going to the buckle system myself because it seems like it would be a faster setup.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    They showed up yesterday. I haven't hung the hammock with them yet but I did mess around with them. I'm not sure I can trust all of the force being held in place by nothing but the teeth..........

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    They showed up yesterday. I haven't hung the hammock with them yet but I did mess around with them. I'm not sure I can trust all of the force being held in place by nothing but the teeth..........
    I think it would hold but I think the teeth pinching that one spot as I said would put all the stress on where it pinches the spectra.

Keep us posted.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I tried the the Monster Rope Ties last night and I have to so I was suprised with them.

VERY quick set up and I was very confident that they would support me all night. No creaking or slipping at all. Of course I did put in a couple of saftey hitches just in case.

There is no visible wear where it pinches the rope. The location of where it will pinch is variable based on the distance between the trees you hang from so it will not always be pinched in the same place.

I may use them for car camping and maybe weekend backpacking trips. For longer backpacking trips I would ditch them to save the weight.

I have an idea for a similare product which may be lighter and would not pinch the rope.

Picture a device which would have two of the cleats in Fig 1where you put the rope through with a twist. The idea would be instead of running the rope around the tree and then around the guidepost you would run it around the tree and use the second cleat to hold this end. Anyone thing this would work?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe A-Sym
    Tarp
    JrB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JrB Nest Down-UQ
    Suspension
    Ring's N Webbing

Tried Them Out

This past weekend I used the Monster Ropetie from Hitchcraft to hang my HH (main lines). I weigh 230 and added sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothing bag for a total around 260 lb Inside the HH and it worked fine. The first night I hung the HH on two trees at 17 ft spacing and the angle on the Ropetie was perfect. On night two I moved to a new spot with trees 13 ft apart. The angle on the Ropetie caused the line to separate turning it sideways. I thought this would weaken the device so I pulled them off and resorted to the figure 8 knot. I would use them again with the right spacing of trees. The attached photos is from the first night. I did not take any photos of the second night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Yeah - the weakest link - why use spectra cord or cord rated at 1600 lbf or more and then use a component rated at ONLY 500 lbf?

If you are going to use a component rated at only 500 lbf, then why not use para cord for the suspension? At 550 lbf, the para cord is still stronger than the rope tie and the rope tie would still be the weak link. Would you feel safe using para cord for your hammock suspension?
    I would like to clarify that rope is generally rated at the failure load, and recommended for a load 20-25% of that value. Other equipment is generally rated at the maximum working load. The Monster Ropetie is rated at 500 lbs but it failed in tests at 1800 lbs.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    What did the Mini's fail at in testing?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12