Idea for all you hammockers -- memory foam?

I gotta question..have you guys ever tried using memory foam(like tempurpedic) with your hammocks?

http://stores.ebay.com/Memory-Foam-P...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

This guy is great I buy memory foam products from him alot...he also has another name with more memory foam beds, excellent quality and prices..memoryfoammattresses.

Either way..buy 3" king, cal-king, or full memory foam topper, and cut it up to your dimensions. It can be rolled very small and compressed as well. It is pretty cheap as well. I've never used this foam before, but I've tried his other beds and they were good. Also, they sell 4-5" thick toppers as well on eBay under different names, I'm sure you could find a twin, better sized, also if you decided to try it out, stick to Sensus memory foam...it is the best, name brand and high quality.

Only thing about memory foam is when it is really cold, it gets harder, and requires your heat to soften, which could take like 15 minutes.

I bet you could use this between you and the ground as well if you sleep in a tent.

I always thought this would be a good idea, but have never actually tested it out.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?
    Last edited by andyisc00l; 05-31-2007 at 01:49.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    memory foam (MF) is great stuff, but because most of the people here backpack they want to use the lightest materials possible. MF is heavy but i have been tempted to cut a small piece that would just cover the top of my pillow that i use backpacking though.

it would be really comfortable i'm sure on the back yard hammock, but it doesn't breath so you would have some perspiration build up... especially if it's warm. mater a fact, if it were hot you would probably be more comfortable with out it. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    While I was at a mattress store recently, I thought the same thing when I saw the memory foam... but when I picked up a sample pillow, UGH it was HEAVY! So that idea went out the window... (although not literally).

Weigh...er...way heavy! I have a three inch Memory Foam topper on my bed and I like it a lot. But if I were to cut it down to the same size as the pad I use in the hammock it'd weigh 12½lbs...and that's assuming it's the lower quality density. The higher density foams would come in close to 21lbs. Of course, you could use a 1" pad but that'd still put the low density cut down over 4lbs.

FB

Images
    I have MF on my bed at home and really like it. Other than the weight my thoughts are water and heat. If you are compressing the insulation, than you are going to have more radiant heat loss. I am pretty sure that MF gives you cushioning by compressing.

Also isn't it some kind of open cell foam? Which means it's not waterproof. What means it will turn into a giant sponge when wet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Also isn't it some kind of open cell foam? Which means it's not waterproof. What means it will turn into a giant sponge when wet.
    That would be bad if you drool while you sleep!

While weight might be one concern. There's another one that's almost as important maybe more to my mind. Memory foam gets really hard when it's cold. Mattresses made of this, while being moved in winter, can get as hard as brick... I imagine hiking up somewhere where it's cold, then trying to unpack this roll, that just won't be able to open until it's warmed up by the fire. Not something I'd consider for ease of use.

• + New Posts