Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    Military Spread
    Suspension
    Whoopie's/Straps

Flat lay science

Was searching for some info on the science of getting a flat lay and cant seem to find what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, I know the basics to hammock positions and how to lay in them to change your angles or position but I recently bought one of the Yukon outfitters off Woot (cause who can pass up that deal for a spare/rec hammock) after having my eno DN for some time now. I can get pretty flat in my eno, definitely good enough to get a good nights sleep, but I switched over to the Yukon just for the sake of trying it out and despite being almost a foot longer and a couple inches wider than the eno, I cant get as flat in the Yukon. I actually set them up side by side and tried all sorts of things to see what the difference was and why it felt like my butt was drooping in the Yukon. Is it the cheaper material (stretch)or is it the way they're made? Anyone have some input without getting all super technical on this? And it is the exact same suspension set up at the optimum hang angles. If there's another thread that is specific to this please point the way and I will read up, but most of what I've found didn't cover this exactly.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't have any experience with that hammock, but I would guess you are right on with it being the stretch of the material. Some like it, some don't.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think material stretch may have something to do with it.

I find thicker hammocks give me a better lay. Thicker than my weight rating calls for.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The mysteries of hammock physics... The problem is, that there are many factors that influence the way a hammock feels.

Are both hammocks the same length? Are you using a structural ridgeline? If so, is it the same ratio of ridgeline length to hammock length? If not, are you sure the suspension angle was ideal? Maybe try hanging the Yukon with more sag and see if that changes the lay to the better.

I assume that both hammocks have channel ends. If they have a different gathering technique, this could be your answer. I find that channel end hammocks don't provide the kind of flat lay I prefer. I always feel "curved" to some degree. Although there are some that are better and some that are worse. This might be the fabric, but my guess is, it's the length-to-width ratio. Wider hammocks seem to curve more than narrower hammocks.

To make the hammock work for you try other gathering methods. I found that the accordion fold makes a hammock that feels very nice to me. If you want to stick with the channel end, mini spreader bars also seem to improve the flatness.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    Military Spread
    Suspension
    Whoopie's/Straps
    After some more comparing and testing, I do believe its the material composition. I cant imagine it being anything else after all the variations I've tried with no change in the feel of the Yukon. Don't get me wrong, its still a decent hammock well worth $20 for rec use but I wouldn't use it for extended sleeping purposes unless that posture doesn't bother you.

• + New Posts