Hammock camping setup questions

Hello everyone! Here's Me introducing myself and I have a bunch of questions regarding my hammock camping setup!

I'm Nick! about ready to graduate high school, living in Park City, Utah.

I have 3 hammocks, a grand trunk double, which is very roomy,
    an eno double and an eno single, the ENO single i might return to REI.

I also have the guardian bug net and the profly rain tarp, which work out well, and pack down nicely.

I camp (usually utah backpacking) quite a bit, almost every weekend from late-spring to late-fall, so I have no problem buying quality gear.

currently i use a thermarest and a sierra designs zissou 12 dridown bag, but sometimes my shoulders and sides get a bit chilly. would an UQ be a better option for me?

I'm looking at the Hammock gear Incubator 0 or 20, i would love to have 0 down the road because it's only 20 or 30 dollars more, but would it ever get too hot? Due to the fact that I "lurk" I know everyone on here loves Topquilts too, but i don't think i can fully commit to that because some mountains up here are above treeline, how sad. I'll be using a bivy or little tent for that.

basically what I am asking is would a 0 degree be too hot in mid summer? is it easy to vent? I've never slept in an underquilt, but I'm a fairly cold sleeper and the mountains have wild weather up here. (just got back from a snowstorm on kings peak, highest mtn in Utah, in AUGUST)

One last question, would it be easier to just sell everything and get an all in one? Is the clark vertex a good buy? how would I insulate it?

sorry for the lack of knowledge id just love to buy quality gear so I don't have to twice!

THANKS SO MUCH

Images
    Hi There birdman,
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on graduating HS.
    IMO it is very hard to vent an UQ. 0F quilts really are for winter hanging I think a 20F would work much better and they pack smaller as well.
    hth

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I can't help much with your under quilt questions as I am still working out my own system. But, if you are asking about the Clark Vertex hammock, not the vertex tarp, I would suggest that it is more hammock than you need. It is designed for two people and would probably be much heavier than you would want to backpack. As for insulation the Vertex, I think that Clark recommends buying two of their vertex under quilts to give full protection for two sleepers.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You probably won't know till you try it. I have slept in warm temps up to 70* in a 0* UQ and felt no need to vent - I vent on top by removing the TQ. My oldest son is the same as me, while my youngest son can't stand even a 20* UQ in 50 degree temps, well enough a 0* UQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts