Installing a ridgeline

Hey all--

I decided against paracord for my structural ridgeline. Ordered some of the Amsteel blue that people seem to like around here.

I'm aware that you want the structural ridgeline to be about 83% of the length of the hammock. My hammock has carabiners that I have semi-permanently attached to the ends. Would it be safe/effective/proper to just go ahead and tie the amsteel blue to each carabiner at the right length and call it good? Or is there more to consider here?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You can do that if you want. Just be sure to figure out the 83% based on the lenght from carabiner to carabiner, not just the hammock body length. You could also make to fixed loops on each end of the ridgeline and girth hitch the loops around the rope where it connects to the hammock. If you did that, the 83% would be based on the hammock body length.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Don't forget that the 83% is just an average length. Your's may vary in comfort length. I made an adjustable ridge line by using a cord with a prusik on one end. Clip the end of the cord to the end of the hammock, slip the cord through the other endof the hammock and to the prusik and adjust it to find your comfort zone. Measure to length that you like best and make your ridge line from that measurement. Mine turned out to be 120".
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Just set at approx. 83% and lay in the hammock then make your adjustments to the length. You can make an adjustable ridge line or a fixed one once you find your length. I prefer an adjustable so I can tweak it if need be.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Bhuij View Post
    Hey all--

I decided against paracord for my structural ridgeline. Ordered some of the Amsteel blue that people seem to like around here.

I'm aware that you want the structural ridgeline to be about 83% of the length of the hammock. My hammock has carabiners that I have semi-permanently attached to the ends. Would it be safe/effective/proper to just go ahead and tie the amsteel blue to each carabiner at the right length and call it good? Or is there more to consider here?
    An adjustable ridgeline is your friend. Also, read a bit more into working with Amsteel.. Many knots that work well in normal lines will slip out with Amsteel. Consider making a 'Whoopie Sling' style ridgeline: http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...ing-lowres.jpg

Making the ridgeline adjustable via a prusik shows me that an adjustable ridgeline doesn't have to be as complicated as I thought. I think I will experiment with that method.

• + New Posts