I learn from your mistakes

As my first thread on this fine forum, I wish to begin with a very large THANK YOU to all who have hung before me. Many of you are not only geniuses, but genuinely generous, and all-around good people. You trails and errors, experiments and successes, and reporting to follow has helped not only me, but I bet countless others who would literally be in the cold and dark without the discussions taking place in this and other forums.

Im fairly new to backpacking and even less experienced with a hammock. I have a HH asym/exped/zip, with kammock python straps. I have a marmot 40deg synthetic bag and a surplus ILBE internal frame pack. My gear is not particular or exclusive to one type of doing it (ie: ultralight, non-corporate,diy,logical, or even practical) but it is fun. And isnt that the point? If you're not having fun than you're not doing it right. That goes for anything really.

My first real experience hanging was on a 2night/3day on a section of the AT coming on from Hawk Mtn. PA. It was early April, I had my marmot bag, we had a fire of course... I had no idea about the fatal flaw with sleeping bags and hammocks and compression and I froze my A** off. Not until I hit the interwebs and found HF did I learn about the many many many options to keep warm and keep hanging.

So from many many many hours or research I finally made a purchase (as opposed to one of the very-possible diy projects I stumbled upon) and I am happy to announce that I will soon be another one of the thousands of warm and satisfied customers of arrow head equipments kick *** quilts. I will not be fussing with a pad. I will not be supporting another giant sweat-shop-type corporation. I think during my next trip (once i receive the jarbidge) I will twist up some 550 paracord braids and try to make my own triangle thingie. Cant imagine why it wouldnt work.

In closure, I wish to thank all those who have hung before me once again. Continue to innovate and continue to share. Best- Josh.
    Last edited by crunchy_peanutbutter; 08-25-2014 at 22:19.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome aboard Josh.
    Always happy to have somebody learn from my errors

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    i still make mistakes. I also try and post them so others can see the error of my ways. I find myself telling my son all those things i, like he does now, ignored. necessity is the mother of invention, if not first succeed, try try try. I also tell him about edisons quote about the light bulb; I didnt fail 1000 times, i proved 999 ways it couldn't be done.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome to HF.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    You learned why hammock camping took so long to catch on in North America. It is fairly easy to cut down evergreen branches and stuff the needles under a tarp or tent floor as insulation from the cold ground but improvising insulation when your backside is hanging in the wind is more challenging out in the wilderness. Bears are not generally that generous with their hard earned insulation they carry with them, or at least that has been my experience. LOL

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

• + New Posts