Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?

Knobstone Thru-Hike (Southern Indiana)

Hey y'all,

How is everyone? I may be shunned from the forum now that I have converted back to the ground. (One day when I can afford it, I'll get a hammock again and good gear for it.)

Anyway, I am planning a Knobstone thru-hike. I won't do the loops, i'll just start in Delaney area and head south. It will run Oct. 10-14th. I have the 13th and 14th off for 'midterm break'.

Has anyone completed the Knobstone? Any tips or tricks, hints or clues?

I plan to make a video of it as well. I've always liked making videos, and I think it will be a good addition to a YouTube channel. (Hopefully it will be at least half as entertaining as Shug's)

Oh, and don't be afraid to join me if you'd like! So far I'm planning it solo, my hiking buddy doesn't seem to want to.
    I believe good gets better.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    No advice, but looking forward to the video.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    We should start at opposite ends and meet in the middle! I'd go with you but I've kind of decided I want it solo.

Are you planning on using one of the shuttle's?

Probably should count on water caches. Several.

Take a cell and keep the two main shuttle/outfitters numbers handy. If someone steals or fouls a cache, they'll run you water for a fee or bail you out, if need be.

Very good map available to order or download. If you order a copy it will come on paper coated with a finish to resist turning to snot after a few hours of rain. I can provide you with a few other websites that will have compass headings, GPS, and physical description of most of the trail, if you haven't run across them already, just ask. Probably won't reflect any recent closures or re-routes.

Good luck and keep this thread running and I'll use it too, should I make the KT crossing.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Here's a brochure w/ map - http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/files/or-ktnorth.pdf

I was always interested in this trail, but my desire to hike this is close to zero after considering logistics, hiding water, shuttles, etc. That takes all the fun out of it for me...just the way I am. But maybe I'll try a section someday just to get a taste and possibly reconsider.

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    We should start at opposite ends and meet in the middle! I'd go with you but I've kind of decided I want it solo.

Are you planning on using one of the shuttle's?

Probably should count on water caches. Several.

Take a cell and keep the two main shuttle/outfitters numbers handy. If someone steals or fouls a cache, they'll run you water for a fee or bail you out, if need be.

Very good map available to order or download. If you order a copy it will come on paper coated with a finish to resist turning to snot after a few hours of rain. I can provide you with a few other websites that will have compass headings, GPS, and physical description of most of the trail, if you haven't run across them already, just ask. Probably won't reflect any recent closures or re-routes.

Good luck and keep this thread running and I'll use it too, should I make the KT crossing.

I'll have to use a shuttle, unless I find someone else who wants to go. They stress having water caches, but a few hikers have told me that they found water quite often on the trail. I will probably set one anyway, better safe than sorry.
    I believe good gets better.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Good friend of mine just did the KT and he cached water, and used a shuttle. He said the driver that shuttled him scared him half to death From what he was telling me is that the trail is used quite a bit by backpackers preparing for the AT and that it is a pretty tough trail. He is a strong hiker and he was spent each night. Sounds like a goodin looking forward to your report
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Take plenty of bug spray,,skeeters are thick as well as ticks too. Not sure how the weather will be then in Oct. tho.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Sounds like a great time! Please post the vid when you are done.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Water on the KT, is pretty much directly related to recent rainfall amounts. If it's been a wet month, then yes. If they've had recent showers, then yes. If not, plan to need a cache or two.

The drawback to plentiful water on this trail also means muddy trail. Especially around the lakes. That's just part of the KT experience and it can change pretty fast. If you're already having trouble dealing with the up and down, a quick shower, can make things slicker than snot. Nobo mile 10 seems to claim a lot of bodies. Big hills one after the other there.(Best part of the KT)
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Argon 90
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    Pheonix 20 +2oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I have never heard of the knobstone until now, but I am interested in doing it now. Need a proper training ground for Isle Royale and Glacier National Park that I have on the docket for next year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast