Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walmart blue CCF pad - making it work

Hey all--

I'm pretty new to the hammock scene and I've been experimenting with pads. I know most people prefer underquilts, but I want to see how comfortable I can get with what I already have before I spend any more money.

The first night I tried it out, I just shoved the blue CCF pad into my Grand Trunk UL. As many others here have no doubt experienced, I had a hard time keeping the pad in a position where it was keeping all of me warm. As a result I didn't sleep very well that night as I kept waking up with cold feet, or knees, or whatever was not on top of the pad at that moment.

Last night I tried a different approach. I unzipped my sleeping bag, cut the CCF pad to the shape of the inside, and zipped the bag bag up over the pad. Sleeping on top of the pad was, surprisingly, not as uncomfortable as I worried it might be. It certainly seemed to stay in place a lot better, and kept me much warmer than the first night. The only real problem I experienced was sweat buildup. Obviously CCF doesn't breathe.

I'm considering sewing a semi-permanent layer or cover of something over the CCF pad to help absorb some of the sweat and make the pad more comfortable. Ideally it would be something I could slip off like a sheet or pillowcase and throw in the laundry after a trip. Debating on material. Comfortable would be good. Any recommendations? I figure unless I can think of some great reason not to use cotton, I'll probably just start with that...

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Cover the body side of the pad with polartech fleece and the back side with regular nylon. The fleece is springy enough to at least mostly be off the pad. It also breaths well.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Try cutting one in half. They're cheap.

Then lay them in a "T" inside the hammock. This will spread the hammock body some, and keep shoulders much warmer. If that doesn't do it, a pad extender, that will allow for additional strips of pad in problem areas, shoulders, hips, thighs, will step the insulation factor up a great deal. It's basically a silnylon shealth that fits the CCF pad with additional pockets to insert smaller pieces of pad, to make it wider where you are naturally wider.

A bit bulky, but not so much of a weight penalty in the long run.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I used the 22"wide 1" thick regular thermorest inside my rectangle sleeping bag for several years when ground camping. I had been complaining about chasing my pad all over the tent to my buddies & one of them said one evening @ a campground, why don't you do what that guy is doing. I watched someone put his pad in his bag then stick it in his tent. I tried it and always did that afterward. Works great but haven't tried it in a hammock as I have underquilts now and not smart enough to remember before. Getting old plays havoc on my memory.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

segmented pad extender

There are many different methods to make Segmented Pad Extenders, google and look at what others have done first is my recommendation:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...fleece-4x4-SPE

https://www.google.com/#q=site:hammockforums.net+spe

Fleece is probably the best fabric but I had considered trying this instead:

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Wickaway-Fabrics

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    This is a great video by Shug on pads in the hammock. This is video #2, I would suggest them all if you haven't already seen them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjL4...752777861C2AA8
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

I'd agree with ntxkayakr about the SPE, but don't the mistake I did and make it out of nylon; it'll be too slippery to stay in place without help. I used the nylon shell of an old sleeping bag just because I had it handy. Waste of time. Wish I'd thought of fleece. I have several cheap fleece blankets that could easily be sacrificed for an SPE.

The CCF pad will definitely work in terms of warmth (at least it did for me during testing). Keep trying.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    No underquilt as well here. I put my pad in between layers of my WL Night Owl and have no problems with it moving around or not keeping me warm. What I did was cut the pad about the same length as a 3/4 underquilt and insert that between layers at a diagonal lay. I then use the small piece for my foot pad which is in the hammock with me. Cutting the pad to 3/4 length seemed to make it easier keeping it in place between layers rather than having it full length between layers..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD simplicity asy
    Insulation
    OZT down top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have used an inflatable Big Agnes pad in the past but decided to go with a blue ccf from Walmart on my last trip. I have a double layer hammock from Simply Light Designs and the ccf pad stayed in place WAY better than the inflatable that I had previously used. Even with the double layer I still built up some sweat on my back but the pad never moved. I thought of moving the pad a little off center of my body to I could roll off of it if I got too hot. At least that was the plan. Despite a little back sweat I got the best sleep I had ever gotten in a hammock.

Images
    I highly advise against using cotton, unless it is for backyard or car camping only, or for sleeping indoors. Some form of fleece would work well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast