Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hammock sleep system for thruehike

Hello hammock forums. I've been lurking this sight for a few years now and i think its time i made my first posting. I find myself in need of some help choosing the proper hammock set up and know that this forum is the largest repository of hammock knowledge on earth so I thought I would see what everyone thought. so here it goes. I'm leaving on a thru hike of the mid state trail in October. (In PA) The trail is around 200 250 miles and goes from one end of the state to the other. the ground in PA for those who do not live here is mostly rocky and mountainous leaving very little space for grounded camping set ups. I therefore have been looking for a hammock set up that will suit the following requirements.

needs to work down to and at 20 degrees

must pack up as small and as lite as posable I'm using a golite jam 50 so my load needs to be fairly light weight.

I can use either a pad or a underquilt having experience with both.

Lastly I'm on a budget (aren't we all) of around 600 for the whole thing

what I'm looking at so far is a down 1/2 or 2/3 UQ and a down top quilt. I would like to make the kit myself and have been looking for a good DIY sticky but cant seam to find any temperature ratings over there.

I will also be needing a tarp and a bug net both of which I will be making myself I'm thinking a cat cut tarp and a tool bug net.

I would very much like the forums thoughts on my ideas and to know what the best thing would be to build or buy to meet my needs. I'm always happy to answer any questions so let me know, and thank you all for any help you may have.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Hi Laugh. I made a similar setup and stayed well under $600. Have a look here. CatSplat has a good spreadsheet (see here) for making a baffled down underquilt that gives approximate temp ratings. My main goal was for bulk savings as opposed to weight savings. You can certainly get a lot light by going with a cuben fiber tarp and Argon 67 instead of 90 shell material. My hammock isn't the lightest thing in the world either, so there are definitely opportunities to cut ounces from my setup, which is a shade over 5 pounds.

that looks fantastic. thanks for replying I'll look it over

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Do you want a hammock with an integrated bug net, or a hammock plus bug sock?

If you don't want to shell out for a Cuben tarp, have a look at the Warbonnet tarp line. The last time I checked, WB made the lightest silnylon tarps (if you compare the size/weight ratio). They don't do custom, tough. If you have special wishes, check out Wilderness Logics. Their tarps are pretty close to WB weight-wise, and they do custom work.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Is it still buggy in October? If not, you could save a little weight by eliminating the bugnet.

I was thinking of a bug sock I've never been a fan of the integrated meting. it is a little buggy but I mostly working worry about it. I am intending this to be a test run for the AT in the spring though so that's why's the net

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That narrows the options somewhat. Here are some cottage gear shops that make no-net hammocks and bug nets:

Butt in a Sling sell 11' no-net hammocks and fitting bug socks. If you it want light(er), you might ask them to make a shorter hammock.

Wilderness Logics also sells 11' hammocks and a bug net. The gear is a bit heavier, but built more robust. They do custom work.

Simply Light Designs sells the Streamliner hammock, which is very light. They also have bug nets.

Warbonnet sells the 10' Traveler hammock plus bug net. Simple, no frills, light.

Dream Hammock makes custom hammocks; you'd be looking at the Freebird plus bug sock.

Hammeck makes the Breezy no-net plus bug net.

Of course you can also buy a hammock and bug net from one of the big manufacturers like ENO. They don't offer choices, though, and if I'm not mistaken they're not the lightest.

Which brand you pick depends on your taste. They all differ somewhat; in length, width, fabrics, gathering type and features.

If you still have money left for a down underquilt, check out Hammock Gear. They offer the lightest affordable underquilts and do custom work.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Check out DD Hammocks Superlight range. Several YouTube reviews. On their website, Click on US flag and then the green DDH logo to get US$ prices shipped. There is a sub forum here.

I plan on taking the WBBB on my AT thru hike next year. Sometimes the good comfort at night is worth the extra weight. But I must admit I toss around every night knowing I am taking an extra pound.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

hammock sleep system for thruehike

I have 10' 1.1 hammock, 10X10 1.1 diy tarp, diy bug net, hg top quilt, hg uq both 20* with tarp and hammock suspension my sleep system comes in at a little over 5.3 lbs. I also have jam 50 pack and this all packs in with plenty of room for all my stuff with enough room for multi day hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast