DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Hammock's and a sore throat

My dad and I went camping this past weekend and both of us awoke with a sore throat. We were camping at 5800 feet with a slight breeze and guessed the temps to be in the 50's. We had down half under quilts rated to 40 degrees and 32 degree down sleeping bags for top quilts. Both of us slept warm just woke up with sore throats, Does anyone else ever have this problem, or got a solution? Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I would imagine you were both snoring. I occasionally catch a bad position in the hammock, snore, and wreck my throat (I don't normally snore).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Yep, that snoring in the hammock will get your throat every time.

But, not me. I never hear it
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I am not sure what a leisure night in the woods would be but I am used to being over worked. Cubscouts or an organized hang I usually hit the hammock tired and late. I sleep hard for several hours. Probably better then I do the bed. If I am not roused because I have to pee or something extremely loud enough tl wake me I sleep very well. I snore and even if I dont I sleep with my mouth open, so I usually wake with a sore throat. One solution I found is I sleep with a buff around my neck. I put it up so that its around my chin pulling towards the top of my head. Its not so tight, but also tight enough to keep my mouth from opening while I am in my coma.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a side sleeper in a bed, but a back sleeper in my hammock. When I sleep on my back, I snore. I tried pillows and all sorts of things but have learned to rest my head on my shoulder in such a way that it does not cause me to snore.
    It's not an easy thing to perfect, but you'll know right away when you've perfected it; you don't wake up with a sore throat!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Worst sore throat from snoring I have ever had has been in my hammock. Usually after breakfast and some coffee it starts to feel better. I just know i was sleepin real gooood
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks guy's I'm a side sleeper in a hammock, at least I know I slept on my side until 3 am " nature called" after that I don't remember how I was laying when I went back to sleep. Then I was up a 6 am with a killer sore throat, I'm gonna try the buff thing. I also ordered a full set of doors for my tadpole tarp maybe that will cut down on the cold night air.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Sore throat causes for me are most frequently allergies. Sinus drainage even very slight can drain down into your throat as you sleep and aggravate your throat more at night than at day time when you are standing/sitting upright. If you were low on sleep due to long drive to camping area and up late night before packing this can also lower you immunity to allergens.
    So because you are going to be outside a lot camping and breathing in mold spores and pollen it is a good idea to take extra time release "guaifenesin" expectorant and possibly "cetirizine" hydrochloride i.e. O.T.C. stuff like that. But talk to your medical Doctor, mine has me on some prescription nasal steroids as well. I once got a lot of sore throats, now it is very rare even in extremely cold wet or dry weather, dust or spring etc. Generally only if I am very low on sleep and forget medication.
    Hope this helps, but talk to a MD! I am not one just talk the ear off mine when I visit him, tons of questions LOL
    OH, and drink a lot of water all day long! Flush that stuff out any which way.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-28-2014 at 08:20.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Any chance it was smoke from a fire? If you left one burning/almost out, it's possible a breeze kickstarted it for a bit then started smoking. Maybe not enough to smell or wake you while sleeping? Definitely something that happened to me once.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    In my experience, it's a combination of sitting around/tending to a campfire all night in conjunction with sleeping more soundly than I usually do at home (open mouthed in a different position than I am in at home usually) and colder air outdoors as compared to indoors (and occasionally a cigar or two but I have had a sore throat without indulging in a cigar too).

I carry a small baggie of throat lozenges with me every outing and pop one in the morning if I'm feeling a bit raspy. Fisherman's Friend are hands down the best cough drops out there. I use them at home too if I get sick.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast