Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why a footbox?

Why a footbox?

I've been looking at some different top quilt options lately trying to decide which one if any is right for me. It looks like many of the quilts have a built in foot box. What I'm wondering is...why? I hate to deny anyone the pleasure of saying it but please spare me the "to put your feet in" jokes LOL. assuming there isn't something I'm overlooking being new to hammocks, I would probably buy a nice thick rectangle down camping quilt from one of the cottage outfits and loosely tuck it under my feet and around my sides like I would in bed or on the couch. This top quilt seems like it would be a lot more useable either around the house here and there or pretty much anywhere outside the hammock and may even be more comfortable or versatile IN the hammock. I would imagine it would allow for a lot more free movement, be the easiest to get in and out of and allow you to adjust for changing temperatures more easily. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? I'm wondering if the only purpose of the foot box design is to minimize the weight or bulk of the topquilt??

Thanks guys

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    It helps keep insulation inside the hammock for one, but better yet, it gives a little pocket for the TQ footbox fit in, avoiding loss of loft due to compression you'd get against the taut side of the hammock. In turn your feet are warmer.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 08-27-2014 at 22:08.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I fidget a lot sleeping so it helps make sure my feet stay covered. I also feel you get a slight bit of extra insulation under your feet. Some TQ come with or have the option for snaps or ties for the footbox so you can get the best of both worlds.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I imagine a TQ w/o a footbox would be nice in the summer - just kick your feet out when it gets too warm.
    In the winter, though, you'd be fighting drafts all the time - cold air leaking in, warm air leaking out.
    So, if you camp mostly in the summer, then no worries.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HungLikeANorse View Post
    ...but please spare me the "to put your feet in" jokes LOL.
    This is the biggest reason. Just saying.
    I'm wondering if the only purpose of the foot box design is to minimize the weight or bulk of the topquilt??

Thanks guys
    This is the second reason for it.

Also, the footbox allows the backside or bottom of the quilt to be closed off and open up the back. It makes the quilt more streamlined to give a better fit to the hammock since a rectangle will bunch up as the hammock concaves in shape when you get in.

It leaves a spot for a small pad to be better held in place to keep your feet warmer from the bottom if you use a 3/4 UQ.

And, it also serves as an anchor point for your feet to hold the TQ in place as you wrap it around you.

That said, you can use a SB instead of a TQ and many folks do.

I use a TQ with a footbox that can be opened up by unsnapping the back and releasing the cinch cord on the bottom.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    My top quilt designs will also be used on the ground, or in other circumstances. I'm also not going to be going super cold (and my insulation will hopefully be super overkill) that said, its pretty easy to adapt yourself to a foot-box design if you find the need for it. If I add anything to mine, I'll be making a design that keeps it adaptable. So If you think you want the freedom around your toes, then by all means, go for it. But if you are at all pushing the lower limits for temp, then a solid footbox is going to really help those good night sleeps, instead of having to wake up in the middle of the night to fix things.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    The footbox does a few things. First, it establishes the cocoon form of the TQ, so it naturally tends to curve around you. Coupled with the neck snap and drawstring, it creates a form fitting bag that stays in place. It also makes it much easier to get into the TQ and get things "right", keeping your feet and legs covered. If you've ever tried sleeping with just a blanket in a hammock, you'll have noticed how it can be tricky to keep your feet covered. Last, obviously, is that it seals off drafts that could come up through the TQ. You wouldn't want to be in a sleeping bag with the toe end unzipped on a cold night, right? The footbox does the same thing.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I agree with all above comments about why the hammock top quilt was designed the way it was. But I also completely understand where you're coming from. Thats why when I made my own TQ I included what I call a summer footbox. Check out this link to see how it turned out.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I liked the footbox concept so well that I've put a footbox on the living room sofa throw...

I realized that I was re-aligning the throw several times an evening as I snugged it up around my shoulders and then next thing ya knew my feet were sticking out the other end.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I imagine a TQ w/o a footbox would be nice in the summer - just kick your feet out when it gets too warm.
    In the winter, though, you'd be fighting drafts all the time - cold air leaking in, warm air leaking out.
    So, if you camp mostly in the summer, then no worries.
    exactly why my 50F quilt is snap and draw cord, when I get a winter quilt it will be sewn foot box

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast