Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    Has anyone owned both? which do you prefer, and why? Looking to use a HG incubator short on it, which will apparently work on a BMBH UL.
    I actually have all 3, i.e. those 2 + a WBRR. As is normal for me, I can see pros and cons for all 3, but despite their differences I can sleep well in any of them. Wait! I need to correct that: I find all 3 plenty comfortable, but- I'm trying to remember- I think I have only slept overnight in the original JRB BMBH, which as far as I know is almost identical to the current Dlx model, except for the zippered net. The other 2 I have only napped in on day hikes or the back yard, far as I can remember right now.

But you can't really go by anything I say anyway, because if you want to hear a view almost opposite of anyone I have heard about: I actually like the original Omni Tape(I think, much like Velcro but softer) BMBH net. That's probably why I am still using it 6+ years later rather than getting a deluxe, I hate to get rid of that net that most folks seemed to hate. I used to hate it also, but then I got good and fast at using it, it is very light and I leave it off in the winter. But take any opinion of mine- which is often contrary to the majority- with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I personally like my deluxe. I like the deep bath tub style. It allows me to just toss my quilts in there, when I sleep, they don't fall off my feet and of the hammock, which is important in the winter. It gives good distance between you and the bugnet. Allows yout uq's which become very easy to install, to rise up the sides of you, better insulating you.
    Some say shoulder squeeze is an issue, which is why the Ul and ridgrunner are shallow. But I've seeen some large fellers be quite comfortable in it. Some say the view from the rr is nice, but I'm not laying in the hammock for views, just to sleep.
    Depends on what you like....
    Well, that sums up my view of my original pretty much right there.

For the long winded view: There is no doubt the original(exact same as Delux?) has vastly less shoulder room than a WBRR, and I also think less than the more shallow UL. Just think about it- if a pad or just levitation was to lift you 4" higher in the Delux, your shoulders would now be touching a wider part of the hammock, i.e. more room. The Delux is 4" deeper than the UL. But despite the way less shoulder room, I can still always get a very comfy sleep. Worst case: I am flat on my back and my shoulders are in contact with the deep walls of the BMBH#1. I am 6'1", 215, though I don't think it matters, my small wife feels the same so-called squeeze. My shoulders are forced to assume the curve of the hammock, the exact same curve as if I am in my recliner or bed with arms crossed(like a self hug). And to me, this feels pretty much like if my arms are on my chest/abdomen in my bed, except my shoulders are touching the hammock. Touching, but not really squeezed. I have felt shoulder squeeze in a too tight non-bridge, and that is much worse to me. Plus, a good sized pillow really helps with all of that, as does shifting more to the head end of the hammock.

Is there an upside to all of that? Yes, what Falkniven said about the quilts. I am very comfy flat on my back, but usually I turn just very slightly and that solves shoulder issues for me, and I am pretty quick to go to go all the way my side. This is more comfy side sleeping than with almost any other hammock I have tried, except I can't go very much into fetal, just a bit. Not a big deal for me. I often lean way back into the side of the hammock and UQ, my back supported, which is great. This is when the deep becomes a benefit, along with the quilt fit.

But, no matter, most people obviously do not like the lack of shoulder room and it bothers them more than me, so there you go. I do think the BMBH UL, because it is not as deep, has more shoulder room, but not as much as the WBRR. I can't say yet if the TQ will work as well in the other 2 as the JRB Deluxe, I'm pretty sure the UQs work equally great in all 3.

I for sure can not see as well out of the BMBH deluxe as the other 2, but then mostly I am just there for sleep. But, if not sleeping, say I'm reading, I usually push myself up into the end cap, sort of recliner like. I can see much better then. BTW, this recliner position seems better in the Deluxe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I didn't like the coffin feel of the BMBH, and I couldn't sleep well in the WBRR due to the low sides. I now have the BMBH UL and I like the higher sides to rest my back against, or to rest my leg against. I do miss the double layer for a pad though. I think the BMBH UL has more shoulder squeeze than the WBRR, but I am adapting to it, by just turning slightly. I wish they had a double layer option for the UL (which really defeats the purpose of UL, but I still would prefer it). I do like the views out the lower sides of the UL. I also like the shorter hang distance of the UL vs the WBRR. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. HYOH
    Pretty much ditto all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    So is the UL "flatter" similar to the RR? I have considered trying one for the weight savings for hikes, but I do want the same "lay" and comfort as the deluxe. I just have too (don't flame me as I never thought I would say this) many hammocks! Do I have my priorities all wrong??
    I don't consider my WBRR flatter than either JRB, they are all quite flat. The major dif for me is a little more shoulder room in the UL and a lot more in the WBRR. Plus not having that deep side to lean back into(if you like that sort of thing) and WAY wider bars on the WBRR( bigger tarp) and way longer suspension also. But the shoulders will be the most immediately noticeable dif, no matter what size you are. IMO, still using all 3. Pros and cons. Oh, also, if I don't pitch the UL a bit tighter than recommended, the net wants to sag down on my face. But I just need to make sure it is pitched right, or add a piece of shockcord with a Gripclip. (the WBRR and Deluxe net is way roomy always)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-28-2014 at 16:18.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Cali mentioned the UL requires less space to hang, what is the minimum distance one could hang a BMBH UL?
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Both models of BMBH are less than 9 1/2 foot between rings, then it just depends on what suspension you have from that point. But in theory, you can hang down to about 10 foot.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, I want to try one even more now!

Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    Both models of BMBH are less than 9 1/2 foot between rings, then it just depends on what suspension you have from that point. But in theory, you can hang down to about 10 foot.
    Phil Keaggy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Cali mentioned the UL requires less space to hang, what is the minimum distance one could hang a BMBH UL?
    I think they're the same. It's the ridgerunner that needed the extra distance to accommodate the large suspension triangles...

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    I've had all three, deluxe, ul and wbrr. I sold the ul. It was fine but I just didn't need it. I've had good nights sleep in both of the ones I kept. I like the wbrr better in warmer weather and use the bmbh for cold. I have a hg full length uq for the deluxe and a ridge creek 3 season for the wbrr. Good luck.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    So is the UL "flatter" similar to the RR? I have considered trying one for the weight savings for hikes, but I do want the same "lay" and comfort as the deluxe. I just have too (don't flame me as I never thought I would say this) many hammocks! Do I have my priorities all wrong??
    Ha, we on HF do not flame, we get bounced if we do that nasty deed. No your priorities are your personal priorities. Most folks would agree with you.

If you get flamed, I sure will, I have posted too many times about "having too many hammocks". My excuse is I keep learning something new, my taste in hammocks is changing. I started out with a carefully selected Hennessy, second trip out I felt claustrophobic in it, me the lady that climbed in caves, claustrophobic in a hammock. I have tried many styles now, DIY is next, still trying to decide what exactly I want. The bridge was a real learning experience, I love it. However, each time I hang the hammock has a different feel. Last week I had shoulder squeeze for the first time out of 20 Hangs.

I suspect we all have maturing taste as we gather experience Hanging. So many choices and more all the time, oh, now we have a wider selection of colors! I see a cherry red bridge in my future, a great color for Fall, and the boring white of winter. Who can suffer through SAD with a Red Bridge Hammock?

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, I will inquire with the Jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I think they're the same. It's the ridgerunner that needed the extra distance to accommodate the large suspension triangles...
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Ha, we on HF do not flame, we get bounced if we do that nasty deed. No your priorities are your personal priorities. Most folks would agree with you.

If you get flamed, I sure will, I have posted too many times about "having too many hammocks". My excuse is I keep learning something new, my taste in hammocks is changing. I started out with a carefully selected Hennessy, second trip out I felt claustrophobic in it, me the lady that climbed in caves, claustrophobic in a hammock. I have tried many styles now, DIY is next, still trying to decide what exactly I want. The bridge was a real learning experience, I love it. However, each time I hang the hammock has a different feel. Last week I had shoulder squeeze for the first time out of 20 Hangs.

I suspect we all have maturing taste as we gather experience Hanging. So many choices and more all the time, oh, now we have a wider selection of colors! I see a cherry red bridge in my future, a great color for Fall, and the boring white of winter. Who can suffer through SAD with a Red Bridge Hammock?

I guess I should have been more clear on the questions about the UL being "flatter" like the RR. I was trying to see how it relates to the sides of the RR. As BlillyBog talks about above, is there anything to put your back up against? That is one of the features that I like so much about my BMBH Deluxe. It truly still may be my favorite hammock. It definitely is for Winter camping. I am a small fellow, at 5'8" 170 lbs so the fit is perfect for me. I really don't get any squeeze that so many talk about. I am kind of a half side/stomach sleeper in most of my hammocks and the BMBH accomodates this very well. The BMBH does take some a little practice hanging over any of my other hammocks. 2 out of 3 hangs I have to get out mulitble times and lower or raise the foot or head end. I have slept in the foot end practically one night because I was too tired to get back out, and that goes for the head end as well. Woke up with the one of the worst head-aches ever beside the French Broad River in Hot Springs, NC last year because I slept with my head too far down. Again, too tired from the walk that day to get back out and make adjustments. I find that to happen more often on uneven terrain. RED Bridge Hammock? Yes, I will take it!

Images
    Hey Chris:
    Oh, now I see what you mean by "flat". You mean not as deep, not as much U shaped curve and depth and sidewall? As in flat left to right? If that is correct, then the answer to your question is yes, it is flatter similar to the WBRR, but def not as much as the WBRR- just sort of. Flatter than the deluxe.

The one you have - assuming it is nearly identical to my old one- has the stoutest/deepest side wall for laying against by far. It is the least flat from left to right. Also, it seems to me to be nearly impossible to fall out of that hammock, because there is so much sidewall to support me when I lean back into it. The WBRR is WAY flatter side to side than the one you have. I have heard of at least one person falling out of the WBRR. And I felt a little paranoid when I 1st used it that if I slept on my side, and leaned back into the very minimal side wall, I might fall out. I felt sure I would. But, I'm thinking I finally put that to the test and leaned on back and did not fall out. I can not remember if I had all sections ( i.e. all 3 sections= wider/flatter left to right) of the head end spreader bar in for that test or not. I usually only use 2 of 3 sections on the head end of the WBRR, so probably that was the case for that test.

The BMBH UL falls some where in between those 2 extremes. Next time you lay in yours, try to imagine if it was 4" more shallow. Picture your body laying on a pad or levitating so that you are 4" higher than normal. Then see how much side wall that would give you and you will have a good idea of the difference. Then just make that even more shallow by a noticeable amount for the WBRR, especially with the full width head end spreader bar ( all 3 segments) in place.

Are you in Oxford? I am in Tupelo. I hike a fair amount at Trace State Park on the Pontotoc/Lee county line. If you would like to meet there or whereever someday you can try both the UL and WBRR.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast