Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Baby Hammock?

Not sure if something exists, or if it would even be safe. Probably not something offered from a manufacturer due to a million legal reasons, suffocating, falling out etc. But I would guess some cultures use hammocks at all ages.

Anyway, the new addition to our family is 1 month old now!! A few days ago, he was going crazy with absolutely no way to calm him down. We tried everything! Turns out he caught a cold, but before knowing this only ONE thing worked...a hammock!

Actually, it wasn't a proper hammock but just a blanket he was lying on. I grabbed both ends and lightly rocked him in his hammock just an inch off the ground to be safe. It worked out great since it was a thin, slightly stretchy material (the one in this photo). He stopped crying and fell asleep instantly!

Just started smiling

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    Nice idea.. Congrats on the little one.
    Thanks for posting.

I could see it working great while the baby is too small to be able to crawl out of it. Then you probably have to give up hammocks for a few years for safety.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Your idea is a very old way of caring for a infant. Way back when, it was standard in working class families for infants to sleep in a hammock near the parents bed. Mom could reach out and put the baby in her bed to nurse it, she could reach out and rock the baby. I feel like the pendulum is coming back to keeping our infants close, moms are breast feeding their baby(ies), we put them in carries that are basically wearable hammocks, which are great for fussy babies, I loved them because I could work and calm my child at the same time.

In my opinion and from what I have learned from other parents is that babies that are thriving have a lot of survival skills right from the time the gasp their first breath of air. It is the babies with hidden health issues such as a heart with electrical problems that get into trouble with bedding and positions when put to bed.

I would use the hammock idea, your baby likes it. When baby starts crawling and become independent, you will probably need a different place for the child, maybe not, some kids stay in their bed until the parents let them up. I would go with the hammock, just be very aware of chocking hazards, babies move around a lot more than we think, chocking is always a hazard.

My kids all had very different personalities, my first was a "Fearless Fosdick" he climbed everything, bailed off of anything and everything. I am sure he would not have stayed in a hammock, I could not keep him in a crib for long. His sisters would have been good candidates they did not climb more than normal, they did not explore the world as early as the first child. When babies are ready to get out of where they sleep it is time to find different arrangements. Some kids are out of their crib before they are ready for a bed, it would be the same with a hammock, some kids will develop the skills to exit sooner than others, then they need someplace else to sleep. Maybe your child will always sleep in a hammock. Babies come with their own personality, we as parents just have to figure out how to manage.

Hammock
    WB BB & DH Nighthawk
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    My boy loves it, he's 6 months old now and I'm planning to take him hammock camping soon. I bought an edc hammock from ukhammocks thinking maybe, he can sleep in his own hammock above mine.
    bmm-20140806-0004.jpg

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Congrats on baby looks very healthy. Personally I think some hammocks are safer than some cribs and most beds but you must use common sense hang very low over a thick pad. No choking cords, breathable fabric, obvious stuff like that. I grew up in hammocks, my parents used them long before I was born.

As many child experts have noted children like the snug feeling, and the gentle swinging motion. Similar for sling many mother's use to carry baby in. My mother said people told her she was not being a good mother in the 1960's for using cotton diapers instead of the new disposable ones but kids potty train faster that way. Hammock instead of crib cage probably results in fewer psychological problems later in life but I may never be able to prove that with science. LOL
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-28-2014 at 15:25.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch
    ENO sells an under-sling that is basically a mini-hammock to hang under your full sized one to hold your pack and things like that. I've recently made a set of whoopie slings for mine out of zing-it and thought it would be a nice place for a very small person to lay. http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...uct/A4201.html

I'm not going to advocate hanging your infant below you but you could hang it anywhere in the house. DIY one if you're into that but ENO doesn't charge too too much for it. I bet you could get someone to make a little underquilt for it too!

Hammock
    WB BB & DH Nighthawk
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    That eno does look a lot like the ukhammocks edc. Small storage hammock. http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/art...C-Hammock.html Nice.

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors
    Simply Light Designs, gear hammock should work well I think. Get the zipper and make a little burrito

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    If you keep it really close to the ground/floor you should be fine. When the baby gets bigger they can crawl in and out when they need to. Learning how to self-soothe. Congrats on the munchkin, adorable!
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast