Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

I Hijacked A Thread

Didn't do it on purpose but didn't get much of a response anyway.
    My question was, Can you use the HH supershelter with the BB? I am now starting to make considerations for a new hammock with the HHULBP going to the middle kid. I like the supershelter fine and really can't spend a considerable amount of money for under quilts.
    Secondly I am not sure if I am correct but can you put a pad in between the 2 layers on the BB such as ridgecrest mat?
    Now the third questions is Does the BB have the tension that runs right down the middle of the hammock where you lay. It seems that either with the Hennessy or any other hammock it should have some bit of tension right down the middle due to the pulling of the ends. That has been my only dislike of thet HH. It seems that the tension created down the middle cuts the circulaiton off, it happens to be right where the entry point is on the HH but it seems like every hammock should have a bit of this issue??
    MAYBE JUST ME
    BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    BEAS, first I never used the Supper shelter with my HH but I do not believe it would work with the BB as the tie out points are in very different locations and designs than on a HH. Second yes a pad works in between the double layer BB very well, the two layers help to keep the pad from shifting around so much when you move, much like how I have heard the pad in the Super Shelter is intended to work. But a narrow pad like a ridge rest would be swallowed up by a BB, not to say it would not work, but more that there is so much room in a BB (especially compared with the HH ULBA). Third I sent my HH ULBA back because of all the pressure points that I got in it (and I am no were near 6' or 200 pounds) comparatively the BB has now pressure points at all for me. In my HH I felt cramped and contorted. In the BB there is no tension any were on me. The BB just has so much more room and loose-free material that you are cradled by it. Warbonnet Guys design IMO is far superior for my comfort than what I experienced with the HH I had.

Hope that helps

Paul

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    It seems that either with the Hennessy or any other hammock it should have some bit of tension right down the middle due to the pulling of the ends. That has been my only dislike of thet HH. It seems that the tension created down the middle cuts the circulaiton off, it happens to be right where the entry point is on the HH but it seems like every hammock should have a bit of this issue??
    MAYBE JUST ME
    BEAS
    This is very typical of gathered end hammocks. I have found it directly related to the amount of sag and how tightly I stretch the ridgeline. In my HH if I hang it properly tensioned the problem is minimal. I finally added a ridgeline to my home sleeper to ehlp control that. Try not tensioning the ridgeline as much on your HH. Aternately a pillow of sort sort under your kees goes a long way to solving the discomfort.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Didn't do it on purpose but didn't get much of a response anyway.
    My question was, Can you use the HH supershelter with the BB? I am now starting to make considerations for a new hammock with the HHULBP going to the middle kid. I like the supershelter fine and really can't spend a considerable amount of money for under quilts.
    If you had an Explorer(longer SS), I would say maybe, especially if the BB had ropes instead of webbing. In fact, I was going to say that I would try to find time to test this out this weekend. But I'm not sure I could do it with the webbing, and whatever I found out with my Exp would not be applicable to the shorter ULBP. I would think that if the ridge line lengths were close, or the hammock length similar from end gathering to end gathering, that it might well work, but only careful trial and error would tell for sure. HH cautioned me not to try my Exp SS with my Safari, they seemed to hint that it would damage the SS. Of course, the Safari is significantly longer and wider than my Explorer.

Does any one have the length/width specs of the BB to compare with the ULBP?

Secondly I am not sure if I am correct but can you put a pad in between the 2 layers on the BB such as ridgecrest mat?
    Oh sure, it works quite well, though it will vary with the pad. Which is not to say it will be as comfortable as your SS or an UQ. But it might be for you, some folks are fine with pads, especially in a dbl layer. A very small % actually prefer them, I believe.

Now the third questions is Does the BB have the tension that runs right down the middle of the hammock where you lay. It seems that either with the Hennessy or any other hammock it should have some bit of tension right down the middle due to the pulling of the ends. That has been my only dislike of thet HH. It seems that the tension created down the middle cuts the circulaiton off, it happens to be right where the entry point is on the HH but it seems like every hammock should have a bit of this issue??
    MAYBE JUST ME
    BEAS
    Or maybe it's just me. Clearly this will vary with the individual. Height may be a factor?( I am 6'1") But, though I love the BB for many reasons, for me it is not one bit better than my Explorer or most other gathered end hammocks in this respect. In fact, I suspect that my HH Explorer and Claytor No Net might actually be a tad better than the BB in THIS ONE RESPECT ONLY (But NOT in overall comfort). Only(in my limited experience) the JRB BMBH is 100% free of this little( sometimes more than little) irritation. However, it( the BB) might be better than your ULBP, which is shorter than my Explorer. I think hammock length related to user height is one of many factors re: this problem. My wide and long and heavy HH Safari is almost free of this problem, enough that is is really a non-issue. Mainly because the center opening is a good 10" to the left of my left calf, where I always feel that discomfort. It does not come close to contacting my left calf, unlike all other gathered end hammocks.

But having said that, I must also say it is really a non-issue with the BB compared to the others. Because for me, with any gathered end hammock(except MAYBE the Safari), I am going to have to put something under my knees regardless to avoid even a slight left calf pressure, which I can not stand. This makes most any hammock a bit more comfortable over all any way for me, like a recliner, so I'm going to do it. And once I do this, there is no calf pressure at all in any of them. Also I often use a CCF leg pad, and I have been pretty much free of calf pressure in the BB ( or HH Exp) when I do use a leg pad.

Do you put a stuff sack with extra clothing in it under your knees? Or a pad under your legs, or both? If so, did it not help with the calf pressure? I have even used a water proof dry sack with nothing in it but air for this purpose. Worked better than nothing.

And, like RR said, too much RL tension can make the problem worse.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I guess my question then would be if a pad is not intended to be put in the space between the 2 layers what is or what type of pad? I really like the looks of the BB but the underneath warmth will be the issue again that I just solved with the HH.

Thanks for all the good input

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    I guess my question then would be if a pad is not intended to be put in the space between the 2 layers what is or what type of pad? I really like the looks of the BB but the underneath warmth will be the issue again that I just solved with the HH.

Thanks for all the good input

BEAS
    The two layers on the BB ARE meant for holding a pad. Most any kind of pad, ccf or Thermarest self-inflators or down mats.

As far as I know, that is the only reason for two layers rather than one layer as far as I know. Although, the 2 layers will also be stronger than 1 layer of the same material, I think that is just a side benefit. You may need a wider pad, or a "T" set up, to cover your shoulders and/or hips/knees if you are on your side. But the pad should work quite well in the BB, assuming you don't have a dislike pads in hammocks.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I use a ccf pad in between the layers, works good and it stays put, down to a certain temp. Then I add a down uq for the really cold stuff.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts