Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I tried sewing outdoors once, but the fabric kept blowing around in the breeze...
    I guess when someone leaves himself that wide open, you're morally obligated to take the shot!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    I guess when someone leaves himself that wide open, you're morally obligated to take the shot!
    "It's all in the game." - Omar Little
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Cant find a supplier for bonded poly in V30 and V46?
    any have a source?

Thanks,
    Slack
    www.sailrite.com A bit pricey, but excellent customer service and quality of products.

Their Dabond is really good. V30 was only available in white the last time I purchased it. V46 will likely have more colors since it has more uses.

While your at it, talk to them about needles and webbing. They may have some Serv-7 needles that will fit a home machine and they are a lot stronger.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Should I use V69 or V92 for sewing strap loops?

Thanks,
    Slack
    Many home machines will not accept a #18 needle, so V92 is out. It's also a little finnicky to get tension right if your machine's tension disks are not set up to handle larger thread. If your machine can handle a #16 needle, you can use V69. As mentioned, a standard outdoor thread (most are V46ish) with a box X is VERY strong. Add another one or a bar tack before the box X and you will likely be stronger than the webbing.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Many home machines will not accept a #18 needle, so V92 is out.
    That is something to keep in mind although I have not seen a home machine that will not accept size 18. That only means I haven't seen them. I can use a 20 jeans needle but that is about as high as it would go.

The tension plates are only one problem with using thread that is too big. Another issue is the eye of the needle can abrade the thread causing to become very week. I can put the "outdoor" thread in a 12 needle but it doesn't like it and it tends to break both the needle and the thread more frequently. It is easier to use thinner thread in a large needle.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    While doing some checking around I have discovered another place where my knowledge has been superseded by changes. When I look at the manual for my machine it says to use "universal" needles and refers to the designation 15X1H which is a style of needle. As I was looking at the listings on Joann on line I found "universal" referring to the point.

At one time there were a variety of needle styles for home machines. Some required something other than the 15X1H although even then that was vastly the most popular. It would appear that such is no longer the case. So it does make sense when purchasing an older machine to make sure you can still buy needles for it, partticularly if it is from a private purchase. But "universal" appears now to refer to the point style. This would make sense in light of gargoyles use of "ball point" needles for webbing. My remembrance of "ball point" needles is just exactly that. The point looked like a ball point pen. The bigger the needle the more pronounced the effect was. While it seems they still make those older style of ball point needles it would appear the wider market has adopted the universal point designation and is now using the hybrid design.

Ain't it fun when life gets confusing?

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Nacra,
    Thanks - I will stick with V46 for the webbing.
    I can only find the V30 in white
    I can only get the V46 in Wht and Black (not buying bulk spools)

How does Gutterman Poly (non bonded) compare to the Sailrite bonded thread? I am doing low volume projects and no "high speed" sewing, so is the bonded overkill, or will it make my sewing easier?

Ramblinrev - I watched the videos, thankyou for your time and effort, they shaved about a year of the "learning curve" for me.

Slack

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Nacra,
    That's the problem with thread now. Those designations are often not listed. "All purpose" is likely the v30. Heavy duty/outdoor/whatever is likely v46. Rug or carpet thread and maybe some upholstery thread would be too heavy for most home machines.

How does Gutterman Poly (non bonded) compare to the Sailrite bonded thread? I am doing low volume projects and no "high speed" sewing, so is the bonded overkill, or will it make my sewing easier?
    I would think the difference, while possibly noticeable would not be worth the cost for a non-commercial setting. JMHO

Ramblinrev - I watched the videos, thankyou for your time and effort, they shaved about a year of the "learning curve" for me.
    Thanks... Those are aimed at the folks who find the whole idea of making gear to be a daunting and traumatic experience. You obviously have moved to next stage of wanting to have as much control as possible over your projects. Some of us never get there. Some of us got there and decided to go back to whatever happens to be in the sewing basket at the time. Some go on from there to become truly anal/obsessive and either go into business or live out their compulsions with glee. Which ever... enjoy the journey.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Nacra,

Slack
    Sorry-forgot about this thread (no pun intended). The Sailrite bonded thread does very well, I have never had a thread problem. I think the bonding helps lubricate the thread at higher speeds and/or longer stitches. On the sail I am building, I have long runs of 29', 27', 10.5'. A hammock has 10' runs and things can heat up. I have not used nearly as much Guttermans as the Sailrite stuff but have been impressed with it so far. The Sailrite stuff may be overkill from a cost standpoint, after shipping. I use a lot of Guttermans when I want I have a color I want to match. My Sailrite Dabond is in bigger cones and I have fewer colors on hand. White, Black, Navy.

I recently found this site, which gives some good info on thread and needles. One thing I have found working with ripstop in my short time working with it, is use the smaller of the recommended needle sizes, it seems to pucker less.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...Thread%20Sizes

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234