Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Here is something I found on here along time ago about thread. http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa102100a.htm
    I have to just guffaw at that. I picked up a spool of Trusew that was laying around which was an acceptable color for what I wanted. It was left over from a church project that we gleaned. How do I say this... it was the WORST thread I have ever seen in my entire life. I couldn't sew more than 4 inches without it breaking or doing something untoward. I had to guffaw when I saw that brand in the photo close ups. Lets also not forget age and storage conditions. They all play a part.

Wally World gets the dregs of the coats and clark stuff and the worst of the rest of it. Yeah the cost is attractive and Coats and Clark is a well respected brand. But use the best if you can. If you are just stitching straight lines for practice then eh... maybe the cheap stuff is ok. But otherwise use the good stuff.

A lot of the merchandise Wally World sells from vendors like Coats and Clark would be seconds in other markets. But Wally World buys the "brands" that people want and figures it's good enough to get by. I have to travel 20 miles to get to a sewing center so WW gets a lot of my business by default. But if you have the luxury of a fully stocked sewing center close by make it you place to go. It's worth it for the difference in quality.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It a little out of focus.. but you can see all the red fuzzies around the presser foot. This is the "outdoor" thread by Coats and Clark from Wally World. Not the most encouraging sign I have ever seen of quality thread but... by the same token the stitches take no direct stress of any significance so I'm not worried about it. But Gutterman's probably would not leave a mess like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I have sewn many hammocks with Guttermans and I have never had thread "dust" like that. A friend tried talking me into using Coats & Clark when I first started DIY. So I researched it here and found the above link. Been using Guttermans ever since.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It a little out of focus.. but you can see all the red fuzzies around the presser foot. This is the "outdoor" thread by Coats and Clark from Wally World. Not the most encouraging sign I have ever seen of quality thread but... by the same token the stitches take no direct stress of any significance so I'm not worried about it. But Gutterman's probably would not leave a mess like this.

I think those fuzzies are the reason a lot of folks think they need sewing machine tuneups. Whenever my wifes machine acts up, I change the needle. If that doesn't work, I clean it, which almost always does. Since she sews silly things that are not hammocks, lots of cotton thread and Wallyworld thread. There's usually more lint in her machine than in my belly button after wearing fleece.

Images
    i think bonded thread is best, that's what i've always used, but recently found out that means it's one long continuous filament(s) rather than shorter pieces twisted together. the bonded is usually smooth looking wheras the non-bonded can look fuzzy. since the non bonded is made from short pieces, it's more likely to break. bonded is alot more expensive though.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    BTW, One other resource I've found helpful is the Yahoo group on Outdoor Sewing.
    I tried sewing outdoors once, but the fabric kept blowing around in the breeze...
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    about thread: I've found Gutermann at http://www.owfinc.com/
    under hardware and then soft hardware

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Should I use V69 or V92 for sewing strap loops?

Thanks,
    Slack

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is my understanding those threads are too heavy for the typical home machine. I just use the usual poly thread and have never had a loop that _I_ sewed come loose. I have, however, had commercial loops from cheap nasty gear kits come loose. Standard, high quality polyester thread has some serious strength to it if it is sewn correctly. Edit: Never mind... Those thread sizes would be fine if you use the larger needles. I got my designations confused. But don't fret too much if you can's find _those_ designations. A good "outdoor" UV buffered thread would be great.

a double box pattern is a substantial pattern. If you want to use a heavy thread that's fine but stick to the home machine sizes. Otherwise you could end up being worse off. A machine which is not suitable for those threads can abrade them and seriously weaken them.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 08-01-2009 at 10:51.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Cant find a supplier for bonded poly in V30 and V46?
    any have a source?

Thanks,
    Slack

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast