HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

Thread and needles ??

So I picked up a "Dressmaker S-2402" for $50.00
    What type/brand/size thread do I use for sewing 1.7 rippstop?
    for sewing 1" Strap loops ?

What type of needles ?

Thanks,
    Slack

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Do you have the owners manual? If not try ordering one or download one from a sewing machine website.
    More than likely....it will take Universal needles. Standard everyday stuff at any sewing center/fabric store. For the webbing, the best luck I've had is Ball point needles, also at sewing centers.
    Thread should be 100% polyester, UV resistant, rot proof. DO NOT use cotton thread of any kind, it will break down in no time.
    Walmart has all these items as well and have the best price I've found.
    Gutterman's Thread has been the best that I've used. Coats and Clarks is o.k., just a little more difficult to work with. Stop at your nearest sewing center and start asking questions, they are a little more expensive, but they usually have all the good stuff. once I got all the info/education, I found alot of the right stuff at walmart. And they have the famous $1.50 bins of fabric, hit or miss on whats available, but the price cannot be beat.
    Let the gear making begin.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "all purpose" 100% polyester thread is fine for almost purposes. The exception being specific unique projects where, if you need to ask you porbably shouldn't be doing it."

The bigger the needle, the more abuse it will take but the bigger the hole it will punch in the fabric. Needle size is one of the mysteries I talk about in the We Don't Sew... Behind the mysteries episode. To a degree it is personal taste. Very light fabric like silnyl would use a lighter weight needle than pack cloth or webbing. I usually stick to a 14-18 needle depending on what is left in the variety pack I bought. If I am doing a lot of webbing I'll throw in a 20.

What _is_ important is that you use a "sharp" needle as opposed to "ball point". Ball point needles are used exclusively for knits. They should never be used on woven fabrics. You will have nothing but trouble. (obviously gargoyle and I disagree there. I stand by my statement.) "Jeans" needles are very heavy sharp needles and can be used for woven fabic but would generally be overkill for most projects. If you were doing a lot of flat felled seams in heaving pack cloth you would use a jeans needle.

Under no circumstances use a leather or razor needle on anything but leather and heavy non-woven fabrics. Leather or razor needles have cutting edges on the neecle to make lpiercing the leather easier. They will cut the fabric and lead to premature failure (sometimes catastrophi) in woven fabrics.

That should give you enough information to be dangerous. Have fun.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    another word on needles. But first a distraction... If you are a woodworker you undoubtedly know that to keep wood from splitting when you drive in a nail you can blunt the point on the nail. It seems counter intuitive but it works. Now to sewing machine needles. Knits are very susceptivbale to weakness if the yarns are split resulting only partial strands taking the stress instead of the whole yarn fiber. So blunt needles are used in knits to push the fibers aside rather than split through them.

With woven fabrics that problem does not exist. In fact, a sharp needle will go through the fabric much easier saving wear and tear on the needle and keeping it sharp longer.

ball point needles used in thin fabrics will increase the problems of having the fabric poke down into the zigzag throat plate. for webbing I can not imagine a better needle than the jeans needle referred to above. But once again, there are no hard and fast legalistic requirements. To a degree, whatever works.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Thanks guys,
    I have a hot date with the 60 year old chick at the sewing center,
    for an hour of "one on one" hot steamy sewing lessons.
    It's funny how when you hit 40, your taste in women change.
    When I was 20, it was a tight butt and a rack I could hang my Resistol on,
    When I was 30, it was a tight butt, a rack I could hang my Resistol on, and a good job.
    Now that I am 40, I am eyeing up 60 year olds thinking, I bet she could sew some gear with one hand !!

Slack Out

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I was just using ball point on my webbing, jean needle on fabric. That is ok or not? I was having a harder time with a regular needle so I switched and it worked awesome. And when I was sewing up my daughters purple hammock, super-thin taffeta, I stuck a small piece of masking tape over the stitch plate, between the feed dogs, worked good to stop fabric from getting stuck. .02
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I was just using ball point on my webbing, jean needle on fabric. That is ok or not? I was having a harder time with a regular needle so I switched and it worked awesome. And when I was sewing up my daughters purple hammock, super-thin taffeta, I stuck a small piece of masking tape over the stitch plate, between the feed dogs, worked good to stop fabric from getting stuck. .02
    If it works... then fine by me. My experience has been the opposite. I break needles on webbing unless I use a very sharp needle. But whatever works.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    They are sharp, brand new needles. The shape of the point is just different than a regular needle. thanks for the response. two heads are better than one.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    They are sharp, brand new needles. The shape of the point is just different than a regular needle. thanks for the response. two heads are better than one.
    The ball point needle is not _as_ sharp as the regular or jeans needle. The point has been slightly blunted so it is rounder. I got some by mistake once and absolutely hated them. Then my wife pointed out the difference. Out of curioustiy what problems were you having with the regular needles?

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I was having a problem punching thru the webbing. Maybe I had a dull needle??? But the Ball point was suggested on a sewing website. They recommended it for heavy material,i.e., webbing. And like you said , whatever works. Next project I'll try the NEW jean needle and report back.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast