Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!

Mw 3 Convertible ?!?!?!

OK....What does everyone think of this:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Mt%20Washington.htm

Scroll down to the bottom. I think it looks pretty neat and versatile. Hardly any weight penalty, too

BF

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot2 View Post
    OK....What does everyone think of this:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Mt%20Washington.htm

Scroll down to the bottom. I think it looks pretty neat and versatile. Hardly any weight penalty, too

BF
    I LOVE it, crap, there goes more $$$$.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by texron View Post
    I LOVE it, crap, there goes more $$$$.
    Looks like a great idea, I can believe it has not been thought of yet. I prefer a whole underquilt but this is what I would get if I was wanting a partial quilt. I am hoping to pick up a Mt. Washington 4 later in the season if funds allow. Hard to swallow the price at first but the first time you use the gear you will be grateful you got it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    It has been thought of - Shug used two half underquilts together to make up a full one, back when I was still actively posting here.

I like the idea a whole lot, and am trying to justify the expenditure on two of them.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Another great Idea of the Jacks. They have so many ways to seperate me from my money.
    Last edited by Dutch; 08-01-2009 at 16:52.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Does anyone on the forum have one of the MW3-C sets yet? I would love to see more pics and info...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

I think it is an excellent idea because I don't think you need a full UQ for 3-seasons. A Mt Washington 4 and that short MW-3 oughta cover all the bases, IMO.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Very Cool. I hope the Jacks can provide a little more info.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Very Cool. I hope the Jacks can provide a little more info.
    HC4U, et al,

Since The Mt Washington 3 Convertible is a new under quilt you ask a fair question.

JRB for the last 6 years has believed, and still believes, in the over-riding value of a full, breathable, water resistent external insulation approach to four season hammocking. To that end you'll note that JRB does not carry non breathable hammock pads, though I'm quite sure that we could sell plenty of them.

These last 12-14 months have seen a resurgence in ultra light approaches. Enter the 2/3 or 3/4 length under quilts. Last year JRB had the opportunity to make the torso length wearable UQ available on a special purchase for Christmas.

Overall we have not been major fans of fractional length under quilts because they still require the use of pads under the legs and feet. Arguably this is a lot easier to manage than a full length pad in the hammock and has less condensation issues than a full length pad in the hammock. But as chat on other 2/3 UQ has noted the pads required are still good size sometimes up to near half size, and there are still some minor issue of keeping it under the legs and feet....Overall, the savings of 1/3 of a UQ supplemented by at least 1/3 of a pad are minimal, probably less than an oz or two for most, and IOHO do not off-set the ease, simplicity, clutter free , and less humid interior of a full length UQ.

Another major reservation, even though we are ultra lighters, is that use of the sit pad or pack commits one's reserve of additional available insulation when unexpected temperature drops go beyound the limits that you expected and planned to handle... Specifically the sit pad is extremely useful as a supplement to the oft experianced CBS (cold butt syndrome) that occurs when one gets it wrong....Plenty of that noted in other threads .

None-the-less, we have received querries on bulding fractional length under quilts.

We decided to build the a 2/3 length under quilt but only if it could be designed to readily expand to full length without major penalties in weight or cost... After several prototypes the MW3C emerged as a a viable solution. While some, notably Shug, combined two 2/3 UQ; paying for two quilts in cost and 4/3 under quilt in weight seem like too great a penalty for the time when one would wish for a full under quilt.

The MW3C utilizes the prove JRB Suspension Technique. Although it, like last years TLWUQ, has an exta shock cord so that it will support use on any current camping hammocks.

It is actually 7/11th of a MW3... It has a side ladder loop on the shoulder side to match the suspension needs of HHs... It ends exactly at the slit beginning of HHs... The right body corner fits the HH right knee tie out... It can be off set to the head end or centered under the hammock... (Note centering maximizes the body coverage but require a pillow to insulate the head and still a pad but arguably a smaller pad under the leggs/feet.) In addition to HHs it fits the WBBB, the Speer, the ENO (and clones), the single Clarks, The Clators, the Byers and the M1965 (and clones).

The MW3C "Compliment" is the remaining 4/11ths of a MW3...Between the two sections, which butt completely, is a system of 6 sections of omni tape...Additionally, there is an overlapping flap of DWR 1.1 rip stop nylon with a draw cord to prevent drafts.... As a BONUS, there are additional corner loops on the compliment that would allow it to be rigged as a 1/3 UQ...Thus one can loan it to a buddy, for shoulder thru hip warmth, when his 20 inch pad is not wide enough...

The JRB MW3C is available as a complete item, including JRB Suspension System and compression sack.... or one can order the 7/11th UQ, also includes the SS and CS... and/or one can order the MW3C Compliment by itself at a later date.

Bottom line the JRB M3C UQ System is the most flexible, state of the art under quilt design....It is 20degree rated, as is the MW3...It packs to the same 7x7x8 size and weighs one oz more at 23 oz...

Details and photos are on our web site.

Hope this helps.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts