DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

It was windy and I was cold

Last night went up the mountain (Mt Lemmon north of Tucson, Arizona) for a quick night out. At sunset, temps were about 67 and according to the app on my cell phone dropped to a "frigid" 62 shortly before sunrise. There was a stiff wind blowing and I was cold! I spent 4 nights in the California Sierra earlier this month at temperatures that dropped into the 30's at 11,000 feet (timberline) and was reasonably snug, but with less wind. However I was using an Exped pad on the sierra trip because I knew I would be above timberline 3 nights and on the ground on those nights.

So, I am thinking -- what can I do to stay warmer in a situation line this, especially if temps are colder? In other words I am looking for words of wisdom about dealing with wind. Maybe I am also looking for words of wisdom about my underquilt? For the record I am in a homemade gathered end hammock, Te Wa flurry 15 degree underquilt below me. JRB Sierra sniveler above me. My topside was warm enough, it is all about cold air getting under me. I have had some trouble rigging the underquilt in the past, but checked that it was snug under my backside and tight at the toe and head end. As near as I could tell things were right last night -- but it is tricky

My one main thought is that a tarp could have been rigged to block the wind. I wasn't even carrying one (hey, this is Arizona with clear blue skies and moderate temperatures). I wanted to be out in the open enjoying the stars... I also find myself thinking about sewing a hammock with an adjustable sleeve that would go under the underquilt to block wind and help ensure it was pulled up snug (at the risk of squeezing some loft, but that would be better than cold air sliding between the underquilt and the hammock). I don't read about anyone else doing that, so .....

Any tips or advice will be gratefully studied and used.
    Last edited by Tucson Tom; 09-02-2014 at 12:45.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    An UQ Protector will help with the warmth lost to winds. You could make your own or get one from 2QZQ
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    With a 15 degree UQ at 62 degrees you should have bee toasty. Your UQ wasn't pulled up right. I make ridgeline quilt hooks that will solve that problem. PM me your address and I will send a pair out for free.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Dutch is the MAN!

Oh, my Jeep has nearly 200k miles on it, so if you can ship me a quick fix, I'll take it!

No wonder Dutch and so many other cottage vendors have suck a loyal following.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    With a 15 degree UQ at 62 degrees you should have bee toasty. Your UQ wasn't pulled up right. I make ridgeline quilt hooks that will solve that problem. PM me your address and I will send a pair out for free.
    THAT, is freaking cool man.

*internet high five*
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Holy cow, Mr. Dutch that is an incredibly kind offer -- and you give me hope - toasty is my goal.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    That's so nice, Dutch.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Weirdness. A 30mph wind at 62mph results in a windchill temperature of 58 degrees, which is hardly bone-chilling. (Unoffical because according to NOAA windchill doesn't exist until under 50 degrees). I can only think of 3 possibilities.

1. TeWa underquilts breathe way too well. All UQs are prone to some heat-loss in wind, but that would be a lot.
    2. Your UQ rigging allowed heat to escape. I'd expect a 15 degree UQ to eventually warm up at 62 degrees even when hung loosely if sealed at all the edges.
    3. Something else was going on with you. Inadequate fueling, mild fever, cold etc.

For the future, you should definitely consider carrying a tarp or underquilt protector. You might also want to look into site selection and try to avoid hanging in the wind.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    I just found these videos online. The first is Dutch explaining how he uses the quilt hooks. The second is a fellow who uses 6 hooks in what looks like a clever system. I like the looks of what he is doing (reducing extra cords and underquilt suspension complexity). I have been using a homebrew scheme of "triangle adapters" to move the point of "pull" for the underquilt about 8 inches along the ridgeline at each end. This helped a lot (I get a lot of mileage from S-biners), but would love to get rid of the lines that now encroach on my head and foot areas. The dutch-quilt-hooks really look like the deal and I see that this fellow also adds a pair at the center. Something I had thought about, but I hadn't satisfied myself about a way to make the quilt-hammock connection.

I'll also note that earlier this summer I did some sewing and modified my Te-Wa quilt by adding a channel along the sides to accomodate shock cord threaded along the sides. As I received the underquilt the shockcord would pull on the corners making fore-aft adjustments tricky (loosen the foot and then tighten the head to move the quilt).
    Last edited by Tucson Tom; 09-03-2014 at 01:01.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    Weirdness. A 30mph wind at 62mph results in a windchill temperature of 58 degrees, which is hardly bone-chilling.

1. TeWa underquilts breathe way too well. All UQs are prone to some heat-loss in wind, but that would be a lot.
    2. Your UQ rigging allowed heat to escape. I'd expect a 15 degree UQ to eventually warm up at 62 degrees even when hung loosely if sealed at all the edges.
    3. Something else was going on with you. Inadequate fueling, mild fever, cold etc.

For the future, you should definitely consider carrying a tarp or underquilt protector. You might also want to look into site selection and try to avoid hanging in the wind.
    All good thoughts. I just looked at some windchill charts (something I had thought of this morning) and like you say the charts start at 50 degrees. However at 50 degrees with a 30 mph wind they give a windchill temperature of 28 degrees (a drop of 22 degrees). I also should mention that in any group I am the first to get cold and need more warmth than others.

Your comments about site-selection are also right on, but who would have expected any trouble with daytime temperatures 100 degrees in Tucson and nighttime 65 degrees or so on the mountain.
    The wind was a surprise, but I am looking at it as an opportunity to refine my gear setup. I have not yet mastered the underquilt nor tapped its potential and am excited to see what rerigging things
    with Dutch's clips will do for me. I expect to be back up on the mountain later this week finding out!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast