To pad guys from a UQer: how to you gauge how much insulation

So I'm a UQer. They work for me and make sense. Full length when it's cold, partial length + whatever foam pad when it's not, ok, that part's easy.

So for those of you who use a full pad all the time, how do you gauge how warm of a pad to bring, and how do you modify your setup for different temperatures? Especially those who aren't using an inflatable with a known R-value.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    So for those of you who use a full pad all the time, how do you gauge how warm of a pad to bring, and how do you modify your setup for different temperatures? Especially those who aren't using an inflatable with a known R-value.
    FYI - I don't think the R-Value of a pad used on the ground will be the same as the R-Value of that same pad used in a hammock. Pads on the ground are not subject to the convective air currents you get in a hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I accidentally took my summer setup down to 32*F last weekend. I was using a self-inflating (foam core) pad and summer sleeping bag. I know the pad was more than adequate because I would have froze otherwise. I was expecting mid 40's and only planned accordingly. I don't take a thermometer with me camping but there was a thin layer of frozen dew on a plastic tote. No issues with the pad and I now believe I could easily go to zero or lower with it.

Edit: my pad's claimed R-Value is 5.5 and says its rated to -25*F
    Last edited by jabraso; 08-25-2016 at 15:55. Reason: Added pad R-Value

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    FYI - I don't think the R-Value of a pad used on the ground will be the same as the R-Value of that same pad used in a hammock. Pads on the ground are not subject to the convective air currents you get in a hammock.
    That's not really how R value works, but I get your point. R value is a measure of thermal resistance, which doesn't change from ground to air, although you may have to deal with more dynamic heat loss that may require a higher R value to keep you warm.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    They don't state an R value of these Gossamer Gear 1/4" pads, but for me a single layer gets me to 40F and a double layer to 22F (and I'm praying for the sun to arise:>) I also use a bugnet and mummy sleeping bag which adds warmth.
    Of course this was prior to discovering HF and being corrupted towards using UQs and Hennessey Super Shelters. Now the pads loaners for the grandkids or just collecting dust.
    http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-hammock-pad.html
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    I've taken my Klymit mattress (4.4 R Value) down to 36 with no problem. I inflate it to full capacity, but the way it's designed it molds well to my body fully inflated. I tried a BA mattress in the beginning but since the tubes run parallel to your body it did not work as well.

I don't like camping in cold weather, so mid 30's works for me...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've taken my blue foamy from Wallyworld down to 28. That's about as cold as I've hammocked so I'm not sure what the low is on that setup.

My temp control works like this:

Above 70 - no mat
    Below 70 to around 40 - blue foamy or single layer of reflectix ( depends on what I'm experimenting with at the time )
    Below 40 - blue foamy with reflectix wings for shoulders in SPE.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    That's not really how R value works, but I get your point. R value is a measure of thermal resistance, which doesn't change from ground to air, although you may have to deal with more dynamic heat loss that may require a higher R value to keep you warm.
    Well, R-value itself, yes... but R-values come with associated temperature ratings and that's what people look at, because otherwise, the R-value number is arbitrary. The temp ratings are based upon the pad not having the more dynamic heat loss than what would be on the ground.

Even when I was a grounddweller, I found the r-ratings dubious. I find CCF pads much better than their rating, though obviously they're not so comfy by themselves. Most other air pads I found couldn't match their rating - for me anyway. The exception being the Exped downmat which is da bomb! Of course, I haven't tried them all, but as of about 8 years ago, I felt like I had.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    ...So for those of you who use a full pad all the time, how do you gauge how warm of a pad to bring, and how do you modify your setup for different temperatures? Especially those who aren't using an inflatable with a known R-value.
    First of all, throw out R-ratings. Not only do you have different dynamics below in a hammock, but in a gathered end hammock, you also have some morphing of the shape of the pad as you lie on it as it conforms to the shape of you and the hammock, which can encroach upon the assumptions that go into calculating the thermal resistance properties.

CCF isn't as susceptible to the dynamics going on below the hammock as air pads are, plus they don't morph in shape, so they are going to be more consistent with their ratings. But, thin ones don't quite cut it unless its summer, and thicker ones can be very unwieldy. I used a BA Insulated pad when I first started. Used the 66" version - hanging my head and feet off each end making my lay more flat - with a SPE when needed. It would get me into the 30s, but the air temps inside the pad would drop during the night with my body temp and outside temps. I often woke early in the wee hours from being cold when temps were mid-30s or less. Same with my thin Thermarest. Supplementing with CCF I think is about the only way to "modify" your needs with a pad, but I think that only gets you so far.

The Exped downmats are awesome and didn't lose temperature as with the other pad, but they're heavy. And if you go wide, you're stuck with also going long which just doesn't work in a gathered end hammock - though, I did use it once and had to sleep on the banana line, which actually wasn't terrible. Because I loved the downmat so much in cold weather, I got a RidgeRunner double layer. Kept me plenty warm, but I ended up not caring for the tippiness of being higher up in the hammock from the pad, and couldn't get comfy on my sides with my knees hitting the rigid sides at the narrow section.

I've recently played around with reflectix, and condensation issues aside, it works very well. But you will have moisture issues when its cold out, and of course, that's something to avoid.

As you may already know, all of these caveats make the UQ a better solution, and really, a better value.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts