Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Only about a week left. OldGringo is going to be bringing some Venison for dinner the fist night. I can bring baked taters---no jokes....You know who you are..... We really need a full count of any other folks that will be coming so we can plan food, and sites for the first night.

There have been a few wild fires that for a time closed one of the routes to the sawtooths but things are open currently, I will keep an eye on those for route up dates.

And on the weather, it is cooling off, plan on highs in the low 70's at best lows into the lower 30's at best. One thing that the hikers MAY run into is that cooler air settles into the valley, making it much cooler when at the base camp overnight than when we have climbed up into the hills on the hike. This also crates some very cool pockets in the valleys, which we may run into at points along the hike as well.

In the off chance that we can't get one of the better sites in the campground for night one I have a possible alternate spot that is a bit out of the sawtooth valley but would only take about 30-40 minutes to drive the last bit to Pettit on the 9th. Dave looking back at the other sites in the CG I believe that one person should be able to hang at nearly any one of them, but a group of 3-6 folks would only work at 2 of them likely. So depending on avalability of those sites we may alternate to this other spot for the meet and meat and greet night.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I can get by with just one tree, Paul.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I can get by with just one tree, Paul.
    I know, I saw, and I want to see in person But you should not have to. Lots of trees in the forest.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Biners & Webbing
    I'm out officially. My car is having some suspension issues to the point where I really shouldn't drive it anymore. And of course, the money that will go into fixing it... :|

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Well not that I can cure the $$$ side but I am driving up with me and a pack, so if any one in the Boise area wants/ needs to carpool I am game. Depending on others schedules for arrival I have no set time to leave to head up. My car can fit 4 with smaller packs or 3 with a couple larger ones.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Biners & Webbing
    I figured you'd probably do a carpool, Paul. My original plan was just to come up for an overnight visit to hang out since I'm out of vacation days. So that won't work for me. I do appreciate it, however. Thank you.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Just got off the phone with the ranger office in Stanley a little bit ago. Pettit lake campground is first come first serve so no reservation. If we can get site #2 then we should be fine, if it is taken then I suggest we find pick an alternate spot for the group get together on the 8th. I have a few spots in mind, one is the spot I posted before, it is about 10-15 miles north out of Ketchum, putting it a bit far to backtrack. Another spot is a few miles up the road towards Stanley from Pettit but is on the river, and not an established campground so no fees. It is off the higway far enough to not have any traffic sounds and is a quiet spot. It is up the Hwy 3 miles from the turn for pettit, There is also another road heading the oposit way to the base of the White Clouds that should have some spots for the night as another alternate option. When I have a chance I will post a map if need be for everyone coming, and in the event that we do need to pick one of the alternates I will make some sort of sign I can post on the Hwy. for the turn off. May do that any way as the signs to pettit are small and marked right at the turn so it can be easy to miss at 65mph if you are not watching close.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We are coming down to the last few days before the hang

But we have a few more things that those attending should be thinking. For the pot luck night we need to figure out what folks are going to bring and what else we need to pick up.

Paul---Thinking of bringing some baked potatoes ready to heat up over the camp fire, some cinnamon rolls to bake fresh in the outback oven. And I will also bring a egg scramble to cook for breakfast in the morning. I (being the local one) can bring anything else folks want. I will though in a cooler for beverages of what sort please let me know And can do things like paper plates a roll of napkins and any miscellaneous.

OG---Mentioned some venison, possibly for sloppy joes. Coffee pot for brew java for any one wanting.

What else???

Other details??? or info that anybody needs???

Hammock
    WWWB/ HH explorer/DIY
    Tarp
    HH hex / DIY
    Insulation
    BL mamba JRBnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Paul, I am good for the most part..got directions..rented a car in boise..flight arrives around 12pm,ish..I could pack some pennsylvania whitetail in my bag to put on the spit..maybe a little bourbon..will we be parking at the site or hiking to a site..determines the amount of extras to bring for the first night.. joe

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Sounds very good, We will be either very close to or right by the cars for the first night, either a camprgound or a spot we can park very close to the trees. Also for coming out of Boise there has been a forest fire that has had hwy 21 closed, I will check that again in the next day or two, so you may want to 1/2 think about going the freeway to hwy 20 to hwy 75 route though Ketchum from the south east of the swatooths.

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast