Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

just ordered some 1.6 argon from dutch.

I got 8 yards worth. I figure it will be a dl and I am going to plan to make it with a sewn bugnet. I have sewn a great many things to this point but not a dl with a bugnet.

I asked this already but in a different way.

What are some of tips for including the bugnet?
    Is it one zipper all the way from stem to stern?
    Whats the purpose for the triangle thing sewn in near the gather ends? In thinking I may have figured it out, is it to round the corner for the zipper?
    How do I sew in the net pocket for when its not in use?
    I figure I would sew the zipper in between the 2 layers, then hang the hammock and drap it over the rl, pin it, cut it and sew it to the zipper. Like the way xtrexker does it. Do I do a rolled hem to attach the bugnet?
    Do I leave the pad holes open to the inside? Outside?

I may have more questions at some point. I need to get the zipper. I may look to buy some other stuff as well. I may be making a tarp (or doors for my 2 tarps, I am not sure how much sil I have). I need some grograin, thicker material for the corners of the tarp and some other odds and ends.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    What are some of tips for including the bugnet?
    I havent yet done this, but will in the future. Cant help with this one.

Is it one zipper all the way from stem to stern?
    I believe so if you want to be able to remove it. If you are going to stow it on the hammock, then you dont need to run the zipper all the way around. But it is still 1 length of zipper.

Whats the purpose for the triangle thing sewn in near the gather ends? In thinking I may have figured it out, is it to round the corner for the zipper?
    Yes.

How do I sew in the net pocket for when its not in use?
    If it were me, I would just add an extra layer to one of the end caps and leave the top open.

I figure I would sew the zipper in between the 2 layers, then hang the hammock and drap it over the rl, pin it, cut it and sew it to the zipper. Like the way xtrexker does it. Do I do a rolled hem to attach the bugnet?
    I dont think you need to do a rolled hem on the net.

Do I leave the pad holes open to the inside? Outside?
    I dont follow.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    About the net pouch, I think you were suggesting to sew the triangle thing double layer and use that as the pouch?

So you would just put the stitches thru one layer or the net? I figured the rolled hem would add to the strenth of the pull on the net. So if you dont do the hem do you put 2 runs of stitch?

My last question is in reference to the section of the dl that you leave open, for the pad. If I sew the zipper in between the 2 layers I would assume it would stay attached to one side or the other, this would be leaving the access to the dl pad opening either to the inside or outside. Or think of it this way, once in the hammock all zipped up, how do I adjust the pad? Not that I could because its not an underquilt. Do I need to unzip to have access or is the access inside the zipper.

New Member Fellowship of the Rain's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY WBB Clone
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Poly w Ele Trunks
    I've only sewn one hammock but it does have a bugnet. The way i did it was have someone lay in the pitched hammock while I pinned the bugnet material to the hammock fabric. Then I took the hammock down and sewed the bugnet. Worked great!

You can see how it turned out here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-turned-DIYer

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SOPiiAC View Post
    I've only sewn one hammock but it does have a bugnet. The way i did it was have someone lay in the pitched hammock while I pinned the bugnet material to the hammock fabric. Then I took the hammock down and sewed the bugnet. Worked great!

You can see how it turned out here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-turned-DIYer
    Ty it looks like good work, but was it sl or dl? I can visualize a sl with bugnet, I am thinking about a dl with bugnet.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    About the net pouch, I think you were suggesting to sew the triangle thing double layer and use that as the pouch?
    What style bridge are you going to build? i.e. how are you going to approach the endcaps?

Also, how much do you weigh?

So you would just put the stitches thru one layer or the net? I figured the rolled hem would add to the strenth of the pull on the net. So if you dont do the hem do you put 2 runs of stitch?
    Thre may be some merit in your line of reasoning. I honestly dont know.

My last question is in reference to the section of the dl that you leave open, for the pad. If I sew the zipper in between the 2 layers I would assume it would stay attached to one side or the other, this would be leaving the access to the dl pad opening either to the inside or outside. Or think of it this way, once in the hammock all zipped up, how do I adjust the pad? Not that I could because its not an underquilt. Do I need to unzip to have access or is the access inside the zipper.
    Generally pad access is from one of the ends, outside the bugnet. I suppose you could sew the bugnet to the outer layer so you could have access to the opening inside the hammock, but that would make inserting the pad, initially, bothersome I would imagine. You should be able to adjust the pad through the fabric itself from inside the bugnet.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Its going to be a dl channel end hammock. I am not sure I like the bridges yet. I was not a fan of the one i owned for a bit. My son loved it. Maybe some day.

I am 6'1 260. Which is part of the reason on the dl. which is funny because I currently use a bias camper sl. I have made 20 or so hammocks all channel end, all but 2 dl and what I do is use 22 feet of material folded back to make 11'. I then sew a rolled hem down one of the long sides sewing together both pieces. I then sew a rolled hem to the inside along the entire 22 feet on the open side. I then mark out 2 24" sections equally spaced from both ends. I then sew up to the first opening, leaving 24" open and sew up to the next 24" again leaving this open and then sew to the other end. (I the of course sew the channels on both ends of the hammock.)

My thoughts are that I would mostly do the same thing, but incorporate the zipper in between the layers. The first side should be no problem. Its just one long section of hammock, zipper hammock material. I am thinking I understand the extra triangle material at either gather end. I will also sew that to the inside of both layers. Now that I am thinking I may sew the channel ends first. this will allow me to put the loops in to sew everything in the right way. Maybe this is too much work just to hide stitches and make a clean look.

I am now thinking I will sew the zipper to the outside layer of the fabric. This gives me the ability use the layer for clothes or whatever else like a pillow.

Maybe I just need to stick to making a diy video for this. I have said I would do it for other projects, but it always seams to get in the way. I applaud those that do it, especially those that do it well. I guess I still feel like I am no good at either the sewing or video and by doing both I will make 2 bad things. I also have been sewing for other people so I wanted to make sure the sewing was good. If this one is for me I can have drunkin stitches.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Ah, I thought I read bridge. So ignore most of my advice.

I do think you'll be fine with a single layer of the argon, though. I love the way it stretches and I was 270 at the time.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Unless you need the pocket between the layers for a pad.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    This page may help you visualize how to assemble a double layer hammock with zipper (with some imagination). It wouldn't work 'step by step' in order for a fully convertible one, but the images will help you.
    http://www.blackgoatgear.com/2011/04...k-pattern.html

This model describes only a 'one side' entry model, so for what you want to do, you would have to add the end triangles, decide which end you want your bug net to be permanently attached to, and then install (twice as much) zipper as described, starting and ending at the same end.

Enjoy your project!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast