Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wally world pad down to high 30's?

Hey all,

I just got my first setup, a Hennessy ULBPA. I'm headed to the Elk Mountains in Colorado next week for 3 nights and the forecast calls for lows around 40. Planning for it to be a bit colder than that, how low have you guys taken your wally world pads comfortably? I have a Golite Ultra 20 TQ and will be wearing midweight long underwear. I get cold fairly easily. Had a rough night last winter on a Thermarest Prolite w/ a North Face Cat's Meow at around 30 degrees.

Due to cash flow constraints, I don't really want to shell out much more cash for this trip. It would be a shame to have to go back to ground but I certainly can't afford a UQ right now!

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    I have gone down to 9 degrees by taping 2 blue pads together.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I have the blue wally pad cut into a size that fits inside my down bag, and it's been to the mid teens comfortably, not sure how cold that set up would go down to yet. Highly recomnend it.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Shouldn't be any problem. The only thing to watch out for is excessive sweating while you sleep. Pads tend to make some people (like myself) sweat a lot. Waking with your clothes wet on a cool morning is just not fun. It might be worth it to take a thin sheet with you if you are prone to sweating to put between you and the pad. It helps a little.

But, the pads will keep you warm! Have a good time and welcome to the forum.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Shouldn't be any problem. The only thing to watch out for is excessive sweating while you sleep. Pads tend to make some people (like myself) sweat a lot. Waking with your clothes wet on a cool morning is just not fun. It might be worth it to take a thin sheet with you if you are prone to sweating to put between you and the pad. It helps a little.

But, the pads will keep you warm! Have a good time and welcome to the forum.
    Are you sweating in the BB? I was hoping the pocket might stop the sweating as I'm a sweating fool as well. For cold I was thinking of wrapping my pad with reflextics, or however you spell it. That might increase the sweat factor.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Always good to see another hanger, especially another Texas one. Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I think you will be fine if it calls for a lot of wind you may want to make a wing or two for the pad to put under your butt and shoulders.

I took my CCF pad and cut it off just below my knees and then put that bottom section under my but and it comes up around my hips. It works for me.

Good luck and welcome to HF.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texron View Post
    Are you sweating in the BB? I was hoping the pocket might stop the sweating as I'm a sweating fool as well. For cold I was thinking of wrapping my pad with reflextics, or however you spell it. That might increase the sweat factor.
    I very rarely use pads anymore; not even under my legs. The Blackbirds came out at the same time I was phasing out pad use, so I've had very little BB + pad experience. What little I do have has been using the GG pads and I've never had as many issues with those as I did the Wallyworld blue pads.

However, the layer of fabric does help with the sweating issues. I'm still damp in the mornings in a double layer hammock, but much less so. I'm also a very heavy sweater, so that should be factored in.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I second Cannibal's idea of using some kind of a sheet between you and the pad. My solution has been to use a Cocoon silk sleeping bag liner. Usually I just lay the pad in the liner and the silk wicks away sweat pretty well. As a bonus, if I still get cold, I can take the pad out of the liner and put my body in it for an extra degree or two of warmth.

I use ridgerests, though, not flat CCF. They have the advantage of grooves that prevent you from getting too clammy.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I very rarely use pads anymore; not even under my legs. The Blackbirds came out at the same time I was phasing out pad use, so I've had very little BB + pad experience. What little I do have has been using the GG pads and I've never had as many issues with those as I did the Wallyworld blue pads.

However, the layer of fabric does help with the sweating issues. I'm still damp in the mornings in a double layer hammock, but much less so. I'm also a very heavy sweater, so that should be factored in.
    From your sig I see you use the Yeti. So what do you do about your legs? Count on the overquilt to take care of it?
    I can't stand having a pad with me IN the hammock, so I'll be using a full quilt in my new Clark.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast