Images

Online Petition to Save the Walmart Fabric Dept

My mom was at a Walmart Fabric Dept yesterday and the manager there told her about an online petition to save the Walmart fabric dept. I found the link online here. It now has over 33,000 signatures. From what I have read there and a couple other places, them closing it is a huge deal in some of the small market towns where there is no other place close to buy fabric.

I also read somewhere that written letters get a lot more weight then phone calls. May be worth the 37 cents or whatever the price of a stamp is now.

BTW, the one my mom was at told her they just got a year extension on staying open. That sounds like a good sign. Mainly because I may have found a good source of ripstop.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I would prefer the whole store be shut down, so I won't be signing.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Thanks for the link HE.

I don't really think it will matter that much because it's all really coming down to WalMart not making enough money in the fabric dept overall. It's really hard to get any corporate entity to to change something when it means they are going to loose money or at least not make as much as they can.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I would prefer the whole store be shut down, so I won't be signing.
    I can respect that and I would agree with that on most things. This is something that I can not buy anywhere else locally. I also get it for $1 vs $4-8 a yard.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Kind of a rambling rant of a petition. I wish it were more to the point.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Kind of a rambling rant of a petition. I wish it were more to the point.
    Yeah, but I think the fact that I was something like the 33,641 might help get past that. I think the more sigs the better.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The accusation that WalMart is discriminating against women because the fabric section is closing hits me the wrong way. The accusation pretty much torpedoes the intent of the petition, which is to change WalMart's mind. It comes across as more of a threat of a discrimination suit than a simple request.

But I'm just overreacting. Sorry. Sign the petition. Save the fabric section.

I know it's hard to hear, but if Cheap-mart ain't making any money off the fabric deal, then I say can it. My Cheap-mart never had the fabric I wanted anyway. And there are plenty of online stores who can do the job much better than Cheap-mart, plenty swatch sets to let you see/feel the fabric. I'd rather buy from rainshed or OWF or Quest or any of those guys, cause they have all the stuff I need.

I can't tell you the number of times I've gone into Cheap-mart or another local fabric store and they have no idea what I'm talking about. They've never heard of packcloth or silnylon. If they don't meet my needs, then why should I cry over it? I don't mind paying 4x to 8x as much as long as whomever I buy from has what I need, when I need it.

That's selfish, but capitalism is about supplying what people want/need at a profit. The profit is what keeps you in business. No profit, no business. Know profit, know business. It has nothing to do with discrimination or any of that crap. If Cheap-mart really wanted to discriminate against women, 70% or more of the store would be gone. If anything the whole store is geared toward women than anything else. How big is the outdoor section at Cheap-mart compared to the kitchen ware section; sporting goods compared to cosmetics; paint and power tools compared to women's clothing and handbags and jewelry and silverware and towels and dishes and mops and brooms and chairs and tables and shoes and whatever. All the "guy" stuff is in th back of the store and all the "girl" stuff is stuff up front.

*sigh*
    Last edited by funbun; 04-17-2007 at 11:40.

• + New Posts