Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School

Warning: don't keep wrappers in the ridgeline storage.

I never, ever, eat in a hammock or tent or even store food there. Unless of course it's dark, I'm tired, wet & hungry and it's blowing rain sideways. I ate a dark chocolate bar and Pro Bar before bed and shoved them into a ZipLoc on the ridgeline. Bad idea. My primary food and trash were all in an Outsak that wasn't touched of course. The tent guys got it worse, but I also woke up to a hole in the bug netting right above the storage and a small nibble into the ziploc. I must have tossed and turned because that's as far as it got. Waking up to a mouse in a tent doesn't look fun, so I can imagine inside a zipped up hammock would be pretty horrible.

Mice 20 miles in from your nearest trail head are ravenous!

On the plus side, my new Dream Hammock performed flawlessly on my 5 night PCT hike. Great build quality! I started thinking how much that matters when you're in inclement weather and do not have the option to sleep in the car, another tent or just go home if something failed.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    I never, ever, eat in a hammock or tent or even store food there. Unless of course it's dark, I'm tired, wet & hungry and it's blowing rain sideways. I ate a dark chocolate bar and Pro Bar before bed and shoved them into a ZipLoc on the ridgeline. Bad idea. My primary food and trash were all in an Outsak that wasn't touched of course. The tent guys got it worse, but I also woke up to a hole in the bug netting right above the storage and a small nibble into the ziploc. I must have tossed and turned because that's as far as it got. Waking up to a mouse in a tent doesn't look fun, so I can imagine inside a zipped up hammock would be pretty horrible.

Mice 20 miles in from your nearest trail head are ravenous!

On the plus side, my new Dream Hammock performed flawlessly on my 5 night PCT hike. Great build quality! I started thinking how much that matters when you're in inclement weather and do not have the option to sleep in the car, another tent or just go home if something failed.
    I have to say I am guilty of having snacks in my hammock. I am not usually out in the woods deep, as most of what I do is cubscout stuff. They normally keep wildlife far off. Over the summer I made a mistake (actually I allowed my son to make the mistake by not thinking it thru). My son wanted to take a snack with him and he put nuts in a ziplock bag and kept it in the outside front pouch in his osprey pack. A squirrel made it into the back and took out a golf ball sized hole in his gear. Good reason to always buy Osprey gear. Sent and fixed. It makes me rethink my wrappers and snacks in my hammock.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I try not to have food in my hammock either, but when I went to bed out on the trail this past weekend I kept smelling cherries. Then I realized there were cough drops in my ridgeline pocket! Into the bear bag they went. Which makes me a little paranoid about my med kit. I guess I need to throw that in the bear bag as well. The bear bag just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Were you near a shelter? I'm not familiar with the PCT, but I've only heard of that issue at shelters on the AT. Makes sense as that's where they would congregate and expect to get food from hikers.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    That is a good point. I often leave a tooth brush and paste hanging from ridgeline, because someone is often passing around snacks late at night by the campfire. But it would be wise to at least hang these from a 12' of spare guy line 20' or more from my hammock just in case. I can go a few days with no tooth paste. Critters visiting me is a bigger concern.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Were you near a shelter? I'm not familiar with the PCT, but I've only heard of that issue at shelters on the AT. Makes sense as that's where they would congregate and expect to get food from hikers.
    And that's why we avoided one camp some section hikers going the other way called, "mouse camp." But we were at a glacial fed alpine lake 11 or 20 miles from a TH that doesn't see many people except thru and section PCT hikers. The section I did was incredibly clean; a huge plus over car/boat camping party spots.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I always bear-bag my toothpaste & other toiletries with my food. So my bandana used for cleanup.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    The bear bag just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
    It sure does. I just got a big cuben fiber one from Zpacks and plan to carry food, stove, toiletries and first aid in it all the time. Everything in one place and easily hung at day's end.

Still gotta remember to round up the sunblock though. Wonder about the grain alcohol I use as stove fuel? I'd hate to deal with a bunch of mean-drunk rodents.
    ------------------------------------
    It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Oregon is lucky that canisters aren't required anywhere I know of and hanging isn't a problem. But canisters are required in the Sierras or Olympics.

Never heard of grain alcohols (WG and Iso yes) having issues with bears or rodents, but bears definitely like beer. They'll pull 'em out of a creek bed too--so don't sink that nice 4-pack of Ft. George.

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    Oregon is lucky that canisters aren't required anywhere I know of and hanging isn't a problem. But canisters are required in the Sierras or Olympics.

Never heard of grain alcohols (WG and Iso yes) having issues with bears or rodents, but bears definitely like beer. They'll pull 'em out of a creek bed too--so don't sink that nice 4-pack of Ft. George.

Grain alcohol like Everclear is my choice for alcohol stove fuel. It is a but more expensive than other fuels but non-toxic if spilled. Many seem surprised I use it but it burns well and can be used for sterilization or pain relief in a pinch.
    ------------------------------------
    It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast