Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Expecting 45º lows w/ 0º UQ - TQ Choice?

So I'm headed to Northern CA next month and plan on buying a HG Incubator 0º, but I'm uncertain about which TQ to purchase. I prefer a warm sleeping environment as I tend to get cold easier (I like sleeping inside @ 78º). I'm considering a 20º TQ, but think a ventable footbox would be nice in case I get too toasty. Any suggestions for a TQ or words of wisdom?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A drawstring footbox is great if you plant to use the TQ for ground dwelling. However, I wouldn't buy a drawstring footbox because it vents easier.

I prefer sewn footboxes because I don't do the ground thing. Venting is easy; take your feet out of the footbox or kick the TQ off.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I disagree with Silvr.. I prefer the ability to open the foot box, and that's just not when worrying about going to ground.

Expecially in a place like Northern Cali, where temps can fluctuate vastly on a day per day basis. One night you could be looking at a 30° night, and the next a 50° night. On the 50° night, your probably going to want to open the foot box and use it as a flat quilt, simply because your feet will be roasting (and sweating) in the box. Silvr's right, you can just take your feet out of the box, but you there's no real middle ground.

You get that ability with a snap closure. For a 20° topquilt, I'd stick with the snaps. Anything below that, go sewn. If your worried about drafts, jam a sock in the hole.

Since my thyroid treatment, I sleep really cold.. but I find the ability to open the footbox to be a blessing. HG 20° burrow with snap footbox is my vote.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
    So I'm headed to Northern CA next month and plan on buying a HG Incubator 0º, but I'm uncertain about which TQ to purchase. I prefer a warm sleeping environment as I tend to get cold easier (I like sleeping inside @ 78º). I'm considering a 20º TQ, but think a ventable footbox would be nice in case I get too toasty. Any suggestions for a TQ or words of wisdom?
    Dang a 0 UQ for one trip with expected temps of 45F!?! That is really overkill IMO.

A pair of 20's will serve you much better.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The 0º UQ will be my first UQ, and will also be used most of this coming winter on a nightly basis here in Austin, TX. Perhaps it is overkill for this 20+ day trip, but I'd rather be warm than scrambling for warmth in the hills.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You'll tolerate a 0 degree UQ at those temperatures without much issue. People sleep on 12" mattresses in 74+ degree houses. Since you've declared as a cold sleeper and willing to vent, I think that you're on a good path with a 20 degree TQ. Worst case scenario, you're wrong and downsize next time. There's not much risk there. Going with a 30 or 40 degree TQ carries the risk of leaving you cold for 20 days, and neither will be as useful to you this winter either.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Probably goes without saying that a 40 TQ would be more than sufficient at 45F. But a 20 TQ is less of a mismatch. In fact, a lot of folks would say that the greater need is underneath, so that a zero UQ and 20 TQ is a perfect match.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I have purchased a 0 UQ and a 20 TQ for this winter. Low of 6F in North Mississippi last winter. I think you would be more than covered Have fun on your trip. You can always move any quality gear here for very little loss if you find that it does not work for you.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    I disagree with Silvr.. I prefer the ability to open the foot box, and that's just not when worrying about going to ground.

Expecially in a place like Northern Cali, where temps can fluctuate vastly on a day per day basis. One night you could be looking at a 30° night, and the next a 50° night. On the 50° night, your probably going to want to open the foot box and use it as a flat quilt, simply because your feet will be roasting (and sweating) in the box. Silvr's right, you can just take your feet out of the box, but you there's no real middle ground.

You get that ability with a snap closure. For a 20° topquilt, I'd stick with the snaps. Anything below that, go sewn. If your worried about drafts, jam a sock in the hole.

Since my thyroid treatment, I sleep really cold.. but I find the ability to open the footbox to be a blessing. HG 20° burrow with snap footbox is my vote.
    I can't figure out why venting would be advisable on the ground, but not in a hammock. All my quilts are draw string foot boxes. I think its the best way to rgulate temperature.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I can't figure out why venting would be advisable on the ground, but not in a hammock. All my quilts are draw string foot boxes. I think its the best way to regulate temperature.
    So enlighten me on how venting is infinitely easier with a drawstring foot box. When I bought my first TQ, the vendor asked me if I wanted a drawstring or a sewn footbox. My response? Why would I want a drawstring footbox when I'm in a hammock?

How is it so easy to vent? Don't I have to reach down and adjust the footbox? Don't I need a pad or some way to cover up the hole caused by the drawstring footbox in cold weather? Where is the advantage? It goes right over my head how a drawstring footbox is more convenient or practical in a hammock than a sewn footbox.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast