DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Necchi sewing machine

What can you tell me about this machine as far as performance history, reliability of the brand (and this model specifically if anyone knows which model it is)?01111_eJFXVuf0UIZ_600x450.jpg

I have a chance to pick it up for $30 today, if I like it, after a viewing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    May be a Necchi BU from the early 50s, based on other photos I've seen. Link to review

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    $30 is a steal for a Necchi BU. If its not broken, buy it. If its stiff, its just needs cleaned and oiled.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Necchi machines were in the 'Cadillac' class in their day. Close tolerances in the machinery, so often they are gummed up with old lube and need a bit of work. Great project @ $30.
    There's a Yahoo group about them, but the rules from the 'owners' are a bit of a PITA, IMO. They do have manuals and lots of user info there.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Good deal should go fast

I would probably pick it up for that price if no damage was apparent and the motor and gears are still good. Call ask for model and serial number before driving over look up see what parts you can buy for it. Not quite as many typically as for Singer but many are still available motor, foot control, bobbin case, feed dogs, manual stuff like that. Clean it up could sell on eBay for more if nothing else.

here are some links:

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/nec...odel-list.aspx

http://www.necchisewingmachines.org/...-machines.html

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    BU Nova? is my best guess but I am not a Necchi expert call and ask

"BU Nova are the VN (for Vittorio Necchi) logo on the machine bed"

http://asewinglife.blogspot.com/2009...bu-review.html

most parts easy to find, motor not as easy, I'm not sure why.
    I am an electronic engineer so almost always replace the electrical cord (same as older Pfaff for this model I think) regardless on these older machines, just do not want the fire hazard. I really like the fact that I can still use them in a thunderstorm (far off) little chance a surge will damage the fragile electronics like many modern machines even with a surge protector. Large storm close I am paranoid run around unplug expensive or difficult to replace stuff. Just my personal opinion and experience. But this and similar machines could take a lot of work so it would need to be something you enjoy. My experience is most Necchi and especially Singer under $100 of over 60 years old will require a few hours of work unless the seller does not understand what grandma/pa left behind. In that case it will sell very fast. Personal opinion if vintage Necchi is better than Singer, parts for Singer may be easier to find this may make them more popular. What to look for in German (Pfaff) brand and some old Japanese brands and other older American brands (White etc) gets a bit complicated. Modern machines completely confound me and I have designed many microprocessor controllers, there are just so many models to choose from.

a few common parts, more on eBay.
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/nec...ine-parts.aspx
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 09-05-2014 at 08:02. Reason: edit: VN logo and parts for it

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Looks like a BU. I have one and it's a dream to use. This one looks a bit beat up, but can probably be saved.

Go for it! Even if you had to pay to get it tuned up, it would be worth it.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've already looked at that machine. The electrical blew up on my face (big flash and smoke). I think it's just that the wiring shorted out. The wire going from the power box up to the motor is very dry rotted and the wires look like they touched. The problem is that I'm not sure if the motor or peddle didn't fry too. The cabinet is in decent shape and there are a fair number of accessories in the seat. I think it will be a nice machine if you have the time to fix it up, rewiring and such. Oh, it's a bit gummed up and the zig zag lever doesn't want to move much. Unless things have changed, $30 is the lowest he'll go. If I wasn't moving I would probably have gotten it. But I didn't want to move a dead machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Oh well. If it was near me, I'd buy it, but better luck next time.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I've already looked at that machine. The electrical blew up on my face (big flash and smoke). I think it's just that the wiring shorted out. The wire going from the power box up to the motor is very dry rotted and the wires look like they touched. The problem is that I'm not sure if the motor or peddle didn't fry too. The cabinet is in decent shape and there are a fair number of accessories in the seat. I think it will be a nice machine if you have the time to fix it up, rewiring and such. Oh, it's a bit gummed up and the zig zag lever doesn't want to move much. Unless things have changed, $30 is the lowest he'll go. If I wasn't moving I would probably have gotten it. But I didn't want to move a dead machine.
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMM. That's a tough sell if I'm going to have to dump that much work into it. Although, I have an old Kenmore/White rotary that I re-wired, refinished, and de-gummed that looks less impressive and only does straight stitch. I got that one for free though. I guess I'll have a look, it's not too far from where I work so I'll be in the area anyhow.

• + New Posts