Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I've seen an upswing in youtube videos of folks with hammock rigs. I'm hesitant to call them hammock campers only because they seem to be more into either the "survival" camping style or the "casual" hammock style.

Either way, the vids I see, I cringe watching them pull paracord or thicker rope as tight as they can manage. We all know that a 0* angle is not possible with a low ratio mechanical advantage, yet, they all seem to want to "teach" everyone how they make a tight hang and how they "know" the hammock will sink about 4' so you MUST make as tight as possible. (head in hand in grief)

Whether there are more in woods or parks, I don't know, but, I do know that proper techniques are important to us and to share with others, including Rangers, so they are more aware. That's what we do in Florida and it seemed to work since there has been a ruling to green light hammocks in Florida State Parks.

And the 1" straps is sufficient and seems that Florida State Parks agreed with us on this.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    BTW, I skip over your posts 90% of the time (OOH FACTS!!) because of your tone and many times condescending remarks to others. I recently found I'm not the only one. Just something to think about.
    I think we all skip over other people's posts, so I'm certainly not offended about your perception that my "tone" is "condescending." If there were tone police I'd be busted, huh? Yes, you are correct: I have a pet peeve about opinions or anything else presented as facts, especially in a "sky is falling" thread.

You have to give it to ENO - they are a marketing machine. That PureMichigan photo is typical of their marketing. Nobody in their right mind would hang a hammock over a bluff like that, not unless they were trying to commit suicide by hammock. They are marketing to people who don't know anything about hammocks and probably never will. When I go to my local EMS store I see hammocks and slap straps and pretty much nothing else that would actually help anyone convert to hammocks (tarps, UQ/TQ, etc.) to make it an enjoyable experience.

Most of the ENO users I see out in the woods - that's all they have is the hammock and the slap straps. I saw a couple of users this weekend and watched them struggle with their slap straps, sinking to the ground, then adjusting, then doing it over and over again. Once they were able to get their hammocks adjusted, they lounged in it for a while before retiring to their tents!

ENO does a great job of marketing those hammocks - but most of the users they're recruiting are just casual users. It's really easy to romanticize a hammock; and ENO does it well, going for the low-hanging fruit with adventure shots (or suicide-by-hammock shots, as I condescendingly like to call them) like the PureMichigan one. More than hammocks, they're marketing a laid-back lifestyle of relaxing in the woods.

What ENO hasn't figured out is how to market the hammock as a replacement for a tent, because as you and I know, it's not that easy to camp with a hammock. Mister Casual User buys the marketing schtick they're selling, then realizes he's been duped, that he needs a lot more than a hammock to be like the suicidal adventurers in those photos. He needs knowledge and insulation and a lot of things he didn't bargain for when he bought the dream.

You can look at those ENOs and think they're taking over the world, but all I see is a hammock being used as a chair/lounging device, and it will eventually end up in the back of the gear bin. What we're seeing is a company that's very successful at marketing hammocks, but not very successful at selling the accessories required to make the hammock a viable alternative to the tent. They're failing at "upselling," inducing the customer to purchase all the add-ons they actually need.

Many of us on the forums have invested a lot of money to make the hammock a viable alternative to a tent, but I think we're the exception, not the rule. Most people are going to buy the hammock dream ENO is selling, realize it's a lot harder and more expensive than the dream they were sold, and chalk it up to "Oh well, I've been duped."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    South Carolina doesn't necessarily "embrace" hammock camping, but they don't seem to look on it negatively.

Palmetto State Hangers have a partnership with a few state parks in which we are invited to serve as experts on hammock camping and its benefits during a weekend campout they host for families across the state.

That's not to to brag (though I'm super proud of it) but rather to say that if you approach hammocks as an environmentally aware and low-impact alternative to more "traditional" methods when you have interactions with Rangers and park staff, it may have some impact. You'd be surprised at what gets around when the Rangers from the state parks talk to one another (and they do so regularly).
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Well a few years ago if a ranger here in Florida saw a hammock in their park they would have likely pooped a pine cone. Florida used to have I believe the strictest interpretations about there trees. A group of active hangers set about to educate both the state and the rangers who work in state parks about not only hammock hanging but about the folks who hang as well.

I have camped several times this year in state parks, let them know I was a hammock camper up front. Asked if there was any issues that needed be addressed in light of that and then went on my merry way. We also made generous donations a few years running to the "Friends of Florida State Parks" as a gesture of how much we care about preserving state parks.

I have found that the number one reason for negative responses from rangers was that they don't want to break the rules and they read the rules to the letter of the law. That and the headache of saying you can hang a hammock, but not a lantern or a clothesline, etc. A little polite inquiry followed by an offer to demonstrate goes a long way.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    I'm no authority on the dangers of hammocks becoming to popular, so I don't I worry about stuff I can't control. At the same time I'd never hold back from spreading the word or getting someone new to the trees, after all that is why I'm here. In a few weeks I'm going to a Trout fishing weekend at a cabin in northern Wisconsin. I'm bringing my hammock and tarp and plan on sleeping outside rather than in a bunk bed. The group I'm going with I do not know well but I do know there will be some tent campers there. So I'm sure my hammock/tarp setup will garner some attention and I'll be doing some show and tell. Will I convert someone, who know's and that's not really my intention but if someone is curious I'll share..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    It does appear that hammock camping is growing and thus will get the attention of more conservationist and the potential damage to trees. With this in mind, perhaps it is time for the manufacturers to get ahead of the game, and start designing tree straps that are even more friendly and more protective to the trees.

I could see bans on hammocks. But I could also see restrictions (similar to bear canister requirements in certain areas, etc) where hammocking will be allowed, but you will require specific approved tree straps and there may be restricitions on the type and size of trees.

I cannot see my Python staps doing any damage to a tree, but, I can envision wider straps, or even tree protector wraps or similar devices that might be used in conjunction with tree straps.

I think there can be a happy medium to satisfy the environment and the hangers.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    While packing on Manitou Island, MI I heard of at least two other people using hammocks. I think if hammocking in a camp ground or something similar, you will see damage on trees. Excessive use of anything will show wear. Look where tents are regularly set up. Can't be missed. After I pack up my hammock, looking around, I find the ground and surrounding area pretty undisturbed. Spreading out in my opinion is the best way to preserve nature. Here in the Midwest trees are very abundant and for that I am grateful. In areas where the types of trees are more fragile or there is a lack of quick growth there should be more restrictions. Be sure to preach good habits when promoting hammock use.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Yesterday, my wife and I were out for a walk at our local greenway. More and more people "Eno" here; our family has done a family hang here.
    So, we're walking along and I see some rope on 2 trees where someone had obviously setup a hammock. They were thick ropes and tied in so many knots that you couldn't untie. I whipped out my SOG knife and cut them down.
    I told my wife that if people kept doing that, hammocks would get banned from the park.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I checked out Eno's and it looked as if they don't sell straps with it. The only thing I saw was an option to buy Slap Straps. Other then that people would use rope which will increase damage to the trees. It seems Eno is being irresponsible and may even ruin their own product sales with restrictions implemented due to tree damage. Wonder if they are aware of this?

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    So I checked out Eno's and it looked as if they don't sell straps with it. The only thing I saw was an option to buy Slap Straps. Other then that people would use rope which will increase damage to the trees. It seems Eno is being irresponsible and may even ruin their own product sales with restrictions implemented due to tree damage. Wonder if they are aware of this?
    If you had to buy slap straps I think thier sales would drop. I'm sure anyone that goes to the big box store and gets a eno sees the straps right next to it, they just figure they will save some $ and use some rope they have laying around. I don't think its irresponsible on thier part, it's entirely the users fault for using p cord or what have you for hammock suspention.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast