Warm(ish) Weather - Space Blanket

Anyone use a space blanket or windshield reflector? I have used them in the past but the condensation becomes an issue. I am thinking of sewing a fleece blanket over the reflective side of a space blanket to try to decrease the amount of condensation. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Yup, Ive done that. I built a DIY Pad with layers like this: ripstop - 1/16th CCF microfoam - space blanket - 1/16th CCF microfoam - fleece. I just made the ripstop an extra inch larger and used it to hem all the edges, then sewed lines across every 5", both ways (making boxes) to keep everything in place - and also to allow a tiny bit of water vapor pass through on the space blanket (you could also just run it through the sewing machine with no thread to make small pores in it to help with condensation).

It's 5'x3', and weighs in at 16oz. Not the lightest way to go for what it does. Still, it does work well.

DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Sclittlefield, what sort of temp range do you think your pad would be comfortable to? I had thought of doing something like this.

Thanks

Paul

I was thinking of going without the ccf pads and just sewing a fleece blanket to the silver side of my space blanket/tarp thing that I have to try to cut down on the condensation.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Here's a thread from earlier this year with lots of good information on using a SB.

I am very happy with my MacKAQ, which uses a Thermadrape space blanket for insulation. It can be nested with my real KAQ in colder weather.

The lighter KAQ is good down to about 45 degrees. Below 55 I add insulation under my butt. I toss in a third of a yard of WarmWindow.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Sclittlefield, what sort of temp range do you think your pad would be comfortable to? I had thought of doing something like this.

Thanks

Paul
    Hey Paul, it's not amazing. I wouldn't trust it below 55-60 degree range, but I've not had enough field testing to know for sure. My friend has used it on his AT thru-hike and is returning near the end of this month, he should be able to give a pretty thorough review then.

- Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Yup, Ive done that. I built a DIY Pad with layers like this: ripstop - 1/16th CCF microfoam - space blanket - 1/16th CCF microfoam - fleece. I just made the ripstop an extra inch larger and used it to hem all the edges, then sewed lines across every 5", both ways (making boxes) to keep everything in place - and also to allow a tiny bit of water vapor pass through on the space blanket (you could also just run it through the sewing machine with no thread to make small pores in it to help with condensation).

It's 5'x3', and weighs in at 16oz. Not the lightest way to go for what it does. Still, it does work well.

Sounds like it could be pretty warm...

How does it lay in your hammock? Does it stay put or do you chase it around?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    ...DIY Pad with layers like this: ripstop - 1/16th CCF microfoam - space blanket - 1/16th CCF microfoam - fleece.
    That's similar in construction to WarmWindow. The anti-CBS pad I use is 1/3 yard of the stuff. It's about half the size of yours. I just lay it in the underquilt, and it stays put just fine. I've also used it inside the hammock.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts