New Hammock Camper, Old Backpacker

Hi everybody! I'm brand new to your forum, however not new to outdoor forums, and spending time outdoors. I have been a serious backpacker for some time now, but hammock camping is new (VERY VERY NEW) to me.

Hopefully some of you old-hands can help me out... I am trying to get the feel of the temperature rating of the current system I have, which can be a little complex when making a transition from tent camping. Here's what I have for a shelter setup:

-Hennessey Hammock Deep Jungle w/extra wide tree huggers
    -Double Bubble pad
    -HH's larger poly hex fly

-Thermarest Trail Pro Sleeping pad
    -Rab 20°F Down Bag w/S2S liner

I'm heading to Baxter SP in Maine in October, will this bunch of parts keep me warm down to around 32°F? I have a 45°F down summer bag that I could also use somehow. Since I have reservations at a lean-to, I have a plan B as well as plenty of space in my pack for a cold weather trial. It's going to be some time before I can in any way afford under and over quilts.

Thank you in advance for your time and considerations, I'm open to other ideas as well.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!

You're defintely set for top insulation with the Rab 20°F Down Bag w/S2S liner. I'm not familiar with either pad but after looking at the specs I would say you'd probably be fine with just the Thermarest. I'd still bring both just to be safe. I would suggest not allowing the Thermarest to fully inflate for the sake of stability in the hammock.

Thanks TR, good to know!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    A few years ago I was in your shoes--old timer trying hammocking. My suggestion is to practice. In my experience, hanging a hammock is more technical/fiddly than setting a tent, and there are a good number of things you only learn by doing. And making lots of little changes--height of the straps on the trees, exact hang angle, and how your hanging experience is different with each of these little changes. I took my kit out on day hikes and did practice set ups using different trees. Also practice using the pads, how much inflation you need for comfort--daytime naps or even overnight in the yard if you have good hanging trees available. And in my experience my pillow need changed quit a bit.

I predict: you will love it.
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Red Cinema,

Practice definitely makes better! I've been setting up/adjusting many times, learning new things along the way! Since I typically camp in West Virginia, Virginia, and Western Maryland, its nothing but old Appalachian mountainside, and trees. I'm not going to lie, I have been a skeptic in the past. I haven't incorporated toggles, whoopies and such, it looks as though this HH Deep Jungle was designed to deal with water run-off. I'm sure I'll modify once I have my first experience with getting wet. As far as the quick adjust systems go, I plan on learning the geometry of the hammock with the variable location, and LOTS of tying and untying! Needless to say, I'm not a fast & light (should I say fast UL)! Once I get my system down, I'll start paying attention to weights... My last check, I had a base weight of about 20lbs. with a 2,8oz tent. Not ultralight, but I also have a HUGE (over 3lb.) 1st Aid Kit being a Wilderness First Responder.

Thanks so far, everybody for your considerations! Looks like a nice place here...

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    One thing to add to your set up to help keep you dry is a drip line of some kind on the suspension, under the tarp. Keeps the water from running down and soaking into your hammock and insulation. Have fun playing with your gear. I always recommend attending a group hang. You get to meet people who are passionate about hanging and see a great variety of hammocks, suspension systems, tarps, quilts, cook kits, etc.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    When I got started, I spent a number of nights in my yard (and have a handy place to set up a hammock in my garage). I highly recommend it. There is an adjustment to sleeping in a hammock to be made and things to get used to, and ya just may as well get that outa the way at home. It sure was worth while to me. Part of it is just a psychological adjustment, like sleeping in a strange bed when in a motel or guest at someones house. Part of it was just getting used to the whole hammock thing. One thing I discovered for instance was that I needed a really thin pillow in a hammock (but I needed something, mostly to keep my head from rolling from side to side.)

A pad and sleeping bag like you have ought to be good down to freezing and below (depending on wind, how warm a sleeper you are, etc.) The whole trick in the hammock is keeping your backside warm. In general you will be cooler but more comfortable up in a hammock than on the ground. A pad is fussy about having it right under you, but I just spent several days down at 40 degrees with a 20 inch wide pad and it was workable if not ideal. Once you decide that hammocks are for you, you can explore more comfortable options.

If you have a pad and get cold, you can always just go to the ground on your coming trip. Once you commit to using an underquilt you loose that option. I carried my pad on the last trip because I was going to be at about 12,000 feet and above timberline on several days.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Use the double-bubble pad across the hammock at your shoulders, and then you should be good to about the rating of your sleeping bag used as a top quilt. One thing to take into account is that most people are used to evaluating bags within a tent or bivvy with a microclimate that cannot be disturbed by wind, and that is worth a few degrees. Wind under your hammock can be colder than the ground too, reducing pad efficiency. Your hex tarp is just over 4' on each side and door-less, so you'll have trouble pitching down to ground close enough to eliminate that. An underquilt protector will help with wind and would be cost-effective upgrade that remains useful if you transitioned to an UQ. If your summer bag opens all the way to the end then you can likely find a way to rig it as an underquilt, good to its rating alone (ie summer UQ), and will add range to your comfort with the pad for colder temperatures.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well you hit the jackpot, lots of us reformed land sleepers responding. I suggest getting rid of the double bubble pad, use the uninflated thermarest. I bought the double bubble pad, found it to be a pain. My thermarest worked great in the same style Hennessy you have. In my opinion which is just my opinion the thermarest was significantly beneficial to my comfort vs the ddpad. Just my experience. YOU NEED TO EXPERIMENT AT HOME. As stated above, there is a huge fiddle factor. Once you figure it out, comfort becomes a no brainer, but figuring it all out takes some patience and practice. I think I made all the mistakes possible before I learned how to Hang is style. No more getting soaked even from rain coming in sideways. I now know how to keep all the bedding together. No more waking up in a crumpled mass in the hammock (you need to pay attention on how you suspend the hammock). Once you get it all figured out, you can Hang almost anywhere in any conditions. I have ridden out some fabulous storms all snug in my hammock. If I were in a tent I would have had to abort the trip or find different shelter.

As you read through the posts, take note of how many members are engineers or employed in some technical field, that will give you an idea of the personality of people who love to hang.

REMEMBER PRACTICE AT HOME or near home.

Thank you all for your support! I am getting plenty of practice with this setup, and I will also have the option of using lean-to shelters at all of my stops in Baxter SP. This leaves me an option if I am not happy with my HH setup. I will be sure to let you know how things go, and I'm sure you will see me on here quite a bit, trip reports and more!

-Sláinte

• + New Posts