Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Not another single layer vs double layer hammock thread!

Hello!

I'm standing between a Blackbird single layer or double layer 1.1. I will bring the hammock on a backpacking trip to Peru so I was thinking going with a pad as insulation. I would like to hear your opinion on double layer hammocks. Is it worth the extra cost and weight for the Comfort?
    Is laying with a pad in a single layer so bad? I don't want to feel I can't move around a Little without the pad sliding away every time.
    Since I'm gonna backpack I also want to cut down on as much weight as possible, but not if the cost is the pad sliding around and I'm gonna be annoyed all the time in the hammock thinking "Should've gone with the double layer!"

Thank you everybody!

Leon

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If you're going to use a pad, definitely go double layer. Otherwise, go double if you need it to support your weight.

Or, get at least one of each, like most of us here! Lol
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    DIY, Diamond, FC
    Insulation
    PAD, UQ, TQ, SB
    Suspension
    Web Straps, WS

SL could work but not as easily, good memories of Peru

There are many factors to consider and it would be ideal if you could find someone who hammock camps and lives near you and would allow you to try it out with a pad on top. Not sure if you or someone you know is good with a sewing machine but here is an interesting solution I found with a google search (look at comment #18 photos):

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...y-sanity/page2

There are a few other relatively minor benefits to double layer, such as inserting a mylar emergency blanket in there above the pad, this does not work well with single layer. Also if something cuts or rips the fabric a little the extra layer may help but hopefully you have duct tape or something better to patch it with until you can get it repaired better back home.

I hope you enjoy Peru. I traveled from Iquitos to Lima over the Andes many years ago, there are not a lot of places up on top to hang from but a Quechua herder may allow you to hang from their stone walls. I remember most of them being very short.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    What do you weigh?

1.0 and 1.1 are rated for 200#, but as single layer I wouldn't trust them in a non-bail out situation, in a single layer application, unless well below the rating limit. I'm 165# and own hammocks out of both. Sleep in one at home and the other on the trail, work just fine for me. You do need to take care of the lighter aspects of your gear. Inspect them before and after each trip.

In reality the few grams to ounces weight penalty involved in say 1.1 to 1.3 or 1.6 is very small in comparrison to other choices you'll make. The WBBB as a model is actually beyond what I'm willing to carry weight-wise, for a shelter component on the trail, unless carried for reasonably conservative distances. If you need a pad, or are approaching the weight limit, then DL 1.1, if not then go SL with a bit heavier material. There are some that consider 1.0 and 1.1 when used in SL applications, to be a "disposable" hammock and it is true, that outside of titanium, with the lighter gear you lose some durability as well as how it responds to rough treatment. YMMV
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have both and the 1.1 double is a great deal more comfy than the single, and I am well under 200#.
    I like and use them both, but I have gone back to using the double on most trips because of how much more comfy it is, and it is easier to keep a pad in place.
    The single goes when every ounce counts though, or I take one of my DIY hammocks.

Hammock
    ENO DN at home, WB Traveler camping
    Tarp
    Silnylon 8X10
    Insulation
    Dry Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have three hammocks. Two SL and a DL. I bought the DL specifically for trips that I might find myself both hanging and being on the ground. My pad has some rubberised rings to keep sleeping bags from moving around. By putting that side DOWN in the DL it never moves. Additionally the DL is far more comfortable than any SL I've tried. Bottom line. Using a pad you'll want the DL. You won't notice the few extra grams.
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you want to use a pad, go for the 1.1 DL. It will make your life easier. Otherwise go for the 1.7 SL. I have never used a 1.1 single layer hammock, but I already think that a 1.6 SL Argon hammock is incredibly thin Double layer hammocks just give you a bit more security.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If you want or need to use a pad, that's one thing. To essentially carry two hammocks when one made out of the appropriate material will do, is another.

We pack according to our fears.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    If you want or need to use a pad, that's one thing. To essentially carry two hammocks when one made out of the appropriate material will do, is another.

We pack according to our fears.
    Personally, I have never used a 1.1oz single layer hammock. I want the flexibility of a double layer, and I have added insulation between layers (in addition to my underquilt) more than once. Only recently I made a couple of 1.6oz sl hammocks. So all of my info on 1.1oz sl hammocks is from this forum. However, I got the impression that 1.1oz ripstop is not the most suitable fabric for single layer hammocks; a quick search on the forum returned several threads with 1.1oz failure descriptions. I'm sure there are a lot of 1.1oz users without problems, but if it was me going somewhere where I couldn't easily get a replacement and/or would face spending time on the ground (the OP is planning backpacking in Peru), I would go for the sturdier alternative. According to the website, the 1.7 SL BB is 4 oz heavier than the 1.1 SL BB, but 2 oz lighter than the 1.1 DL BB. I'm sure it's possible to save a couple of oz in less critical places. But HYOH - just be aware of what the consequences might be and be willing to live with them.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The 1.0 has not been offered for awhile ( my wife has one in the Double)

I use a 1.1 dbl and 1.7 dbl. Not that much extra weight and it does allow for use of a pad. Also the double layers makes it extremely unlikely that a mosquito will be able to bite thru the two layers
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast