One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

Necchi education needed

I picked up another machine today, I can't remember if this makes 9 or 10. It's a nice little Necchi BF Mira. The cabinet looks pretty good and it runs like a bat out of H E double hockey sticks. So, for $25 I couldn't walk away. One of the problems is that it does not have any bobbins or the bobbin case. Does anyone know of a good place to find these things, or is ebay the best place? Although it runs great, the exterior needs a little attention. I know how to deal with the japaned Singers and such, but I'm not sure on these. What cleaning substances are safe on this and my Pfaff 230? Is there a way to date this like the Singers and Pfaffs? So far I haven't been able to turn anything up.
    2014-09-06 19.25.02.jpg2014-09-06 19.25.38.jpg2014-09-06 19.26.27.jpg

There was also a random foot peddle that came with the machine but is not for it. Anyone recognize the plug?
    2014-09-06 19.23.30.jpg2014-09-06 19.23.46.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    It takes regular class 15 bobbins and case. (The bobbin case with arm the 11 o-clock position--not at the one o-clock like the actual Singer 15's)

http://shop.sew-classic.com/

I've seen plugs like that on earlier Kenmores.

Mira cord.jpg Your Mira cord is like this, right?

It's impossible to get a date of manufacture from Necchi SNs since the records were destroyed in a fire at the factory.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Actually, Necchis use what is sold as the Class 15 Case with the '1 O'Clock' finger. Singer 15-90/91 and some others use the '11 O'clock' cases. There are also Singers that use the '1 O'clock' case.

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbin-C...ger-JO1313.htm

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bob...-jo1313zw.aspx

No help for dating your machine, but heres a Model List with some manufacturing date ranges. Click the black box to download.(???)

NECCHI MODEL LIST (1).pdf
    Last edited by gmcttr; 09-06-2014 at 23:22.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Actually, Necchis use what is sold as the Class 15 Case with the '1 O'Clock' finger. Singer 15-90/91 and some others use the '11 O'clock' cases. There are also Singers that use the '1 O'clock' case.

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbin-C...ger-JO1313.htm

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bob...-jo1313zw.aspx

Doh! Thanks for the correction. How did I get that backwards? That's all I ever use!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    That sucks about the SNs! So, 1 o'clock position bobbin case, check. Does it matter if I use the plastic or metal bobbins?

@squidbilly That plug looks about right.

Anyone have thoughts on cleaning without removing the finish? I recently had a brain fart and used alcohol on an old singer, so I'm a little gun shy at the moment.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    As always, try any product in an inconspicuous area.

I've used so many things on different machines, that I don't know what I used on the Necchi's.

Since I already have it, I would try TR3 Resin Glaze and LOTS of cotton balls. Work on small areas at a time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    I have used a mixture of 10% sewing machine oil to 90% kerosene to get the dried oily grime off. It doesn't seem to hurt the finish.
    That TR3 is good stuff too, it does just what it says: cleans, shines, protects.

You can use either plastic or metal bobbins. I use only metal, but that's just what I have. I think the plastic ones are used to prevent the bobbin from spinning after the machine stops, preventing the bobbin thread from getting slack. Some of my Necchi bobbins are aluminum. I don't think I've had that problem: probably because I don't sew that fast. I wouldn't buy the genuine Necchi cases or bobbins from anyone on Ebay because they are overpriced. The replacements from the links above usually work just as well. If you just have to get authentic stuff, send me a PM, I'm sure I can find an extra Necchi case and a few bobbins in my stash.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    I think the plastic ones are used to prevent the bobbin from spinning after the machine stops, preventing the bobbin thread from getting slack.
    Also:

Newer ('computerized') machines have a bobbin thread sensor which requires a transparent bobbin. And, the plastic ones are a lot cheaper to produce - from eBay (aka China) you can get a pile of them in a neat little plastic box. The box is useful for holding your metal bobbins after you give away or throw away the plastic ones... ;-)

Most metal bobbins hold more thread than the equivalent plastic one, IME, and according to the nice lady at the sewing machine dealer who traded all the plastic bobbins that came with a new machine I was buying, giving me metal ones "that nobody uses because of the new machines...." :-)

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I was driving by JoAnn's today and found some metal bobbins with a coupon that I'll try. They won't work on my 15-88, but they at least go on the bobbin winder of the Necchi. I need to get a belt for my Pfaff 230 from Sew-Classic and will just add the bobbin case to the order. I'll have to look into the TR3.

• + New Posts