Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images

"Man Camp"

"There will be no electricity. There will be no running water. There will be no 'facilities'. And there will be no whining.
    This is Man Camp - not pamper camp."

I'm a youth pastor at a church near Bangor, Maine. Each year I take a group of Jr. and Sr. High boys on a short but rugged weekend camping trip that I've dubbed "Man Camp." These are not boy scouts, and for many of them this is their first experience camping in the woods (campgrounds do not count). We learn new camping skills and build something to add to our outdoor gear collection.

No, it's not hammocks this time - maybe next year.

This year we're building a minimalist kitchen set, and they'll all be cooking their own food for the entire trip. I am so excited! I just got a box of (15) IMUSA 12cm Aluminum cook pots from George at end2endtrailsupply (great guy, excellent service and shipping!). I felt like a little kid again at Christmas, diving into that box.

Here's the kitchen set the kids will build:
    • IMUSA Aluminum Cook Pot, 12cm
    • Pot lid (aluminum bake sheet)
    • Windscreen (aluminum flashing)
    • SuperCat alcohol stove
    • Ziploc Twist'n'Loc Mug(sm) w/cozy (reflectix)

Two years ago we built survival kits, and last year was soda can jet alcohol stoves. I'm really looking forward to this year. I also put a 35lb weight limit on their packed in gear, including food and shelter. Last year it was horrendous how much stuff we carried in. This year we add a minimalist element (only an element, mind you).

So, relating to our forum... the kids will be sleeping in tents. Meanwhile, myself and a few of the other adults will be snoozing comfortably in the air. I was converted a few years ago by a good friend and now I've converted a few others myself. I think, after this trip, the kids will all be wanting to build hammocks for next years "Man Camp."

I'll be sure to update after the trip, and feel free to toss in your ideas on how to effectively and very cost efficiently get a DIY Hammock thing going for next years trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sclittlefield; 08-04-2009 at 07:15. Reason: fix link
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    That sounds like a great time!

I like your kitchen set idea. I have both the larger sizes of the Imusa pots/mugs and I really like how light my kit is with everything included.

I bet they will really like putting that together for themselves!

One idea- I took some pliers and bent my handle to make it flatter and a bit closer to the pot itself. It really saves space.

I think making their own hammocks would be a blast!!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB 11'x10' Spinn
    Insulation
    HSSniv MtWash3
    Suspension
    webbing Dutch clip
    Great idea! I'm going to use this idea with my Boy Scouts.

Thanks for the reference to end2endtrailsuppy, a new source for me. Didn't realize the Evernew Water Carry has a shock cord to roll up empty bottles and cap keeper to eliminate lost caps, cool!
    ..Mike the Weed Warrior bio // Think globally, act locally: Remove an invasive plant

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great to see what you are doing. I am a Youth Minister in Texas and one of our craft projects at a recent retreat was DIY Risk Test Hammocks. Now all the kids want to hammock camp.

That's the good news. The bad news is now I have to find more spots with more trees.

I really like the "Man Camp" concept. Most of my kids are girls and they are not so interested in facility free camping.

One more plus for the youth worker world is that when leaders hammock, there is no creation of any questions about adults and kids in a tent together.

I hang at nearly all the events, sometimes even those with cabins.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps
    Just to comment on UncleMJM's note,

Scouts Canada is a co-ed organization. The troop I had last year was more than 50% girls. With only a couple of exceptions, they were just as interested as the guys in "facility free" camping. I bet you would be surprised by your girls, (Unless you live in an area that socializes the girls against that sort of activity).

That being said, neither gender of youth is very interested in "no outhouse, dig catholes camping".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWanderer View Post
    That being said, neither gender of youth is very interested in "no outhouse, dig catholes camping".

HEY!! Im 15 and i have absolutely no problem with facilities free camping! I love backpacking all the more when we have it, and love it even more when there is no trail to follow when im backpacking (big fan of pristine wilderness here!) And for those of you who are scout leaders im a life scout and SPL just finishing my second term! :P

-CS

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB 11'x10' Spinn
    Insulation
    HSSniv MtWash3
    Suspension
    webbing Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by climberslacker View Post
    .. And for those of you who are scout leaders im a life scout and SPL just finishing my second term! :P

-CS
    Hey CS,

Glad to hear you're a Life Scout and like backpacking, I wish I had more like you in my troop. Trying to get some of these guys out to the wilderness is like pulling teeth (they're car campers ). If they try it once, they'll be hooked.

Congrats on your 2nd SPL term. After you get Eagle, stay involved in your troop as much as you can, it will still need your leadership. Pay your Scouting experience forward.
    Last edited by VegaMike; 08-04-2009 at 01:15. Reason: spelling
    ..Mike the Weed Warrior bio // Think globally, act locally: Remove an invasive plant

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWanderer View Post
    Just to comment on UncleMJM's note,

Scouts Canada is a co-ed organization. The troop I had last year was more than 50% girls. With only a couple of exceptions, they were just as interested as the guys in "facility free" camping. I bet you would be surprised by your girls, (Unless you live in an area that socializes the girls against that sort of activity).

Agreed with everything you have said. Some of my girls are more gung ho than some of the guys. In fact, more girls have gone on the primitive camping than the guys, but now they are backing away from it as they get older. In any case, I will continue to encourage both boys and girls and may hijack the "Man Camp" idea but open it to all of my kids and see what happens.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Agreed with everything you have said. Some of my girls are more gung ho than some of the guys. In fact, more girls have gone on the primitive camping than the guys....
    Agreed. As the daughter of three backpacking daughters, I find "Man Camp" more than a bit sexist. Don't mean to offend and I'm sure that wasn't the intent of the original post, either. But sexism does abound in our society.

In any event, enjoy the outing!

Rain Man

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Agreed. As the daughter of three backpacking daughters, I find "Man Camp" more than a bit sexist. Don't mean to offend and I'm sure that wasn't the intent of the original post, either. But sexism does abound in our society.

In any event, enjoy the outing!

Rain Man

I wouldn't necessarily go that far Rain Man, sexism runs both ways, and at this time in our society there is a lot more stuff that is girls/women only than there is stuff that is men or boys only.

I believe that the co-educational aspect of Scouts Canada has added a fantastic socialization element to Scouting and to camping for the youth involved. I think this arrangement is a superior one.

However, I do wonder if there is a developmental loss from not having the single gender (i.e. boys only) experiences. Human socialization does tend to have "ceremonies" that move people from one stage to another and those tend to be very gender specific. It would appear that most of the ceremonies are still in place for girls, but boys are frequently lost without clear demarcation between various stages of development and guidance from older members of the same gender.

But I am not a sociologist, so maybe this is just garbage, I dunno.

I do think that there are times and places for single gender activities.

Of course, I might have misunderstood you and you were criticizing the slogan "Man Camp" for reinforcing values that boys were supposed to be unemotional, tough and shrug off aches, pains and minor discomforts - you know, the stuff that causes stunted emotional growth, and makes guys less likely to go to the doctor when they should and accounts for some of the lower life expectancy between women and men. If that were the case, then I would salute you and say, "exactly right!".

-- CoyoteWanderer

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast