Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    In the church setting, I'm guessing MAN CAMP references boys becoming adults, rather than men acting like boys, or "boys only, we don't want girls."

Sailor

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I think these guys had the right idea.http://www.vaiden.net/rascals_files/image009.jpg
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps
    Hmmm. Are gargoyles and trolls related?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    LOL... I think the idea behind sclittlefield's "Man Camp" is just a light hearted, fun way to get the boys there. Just fun like Tim the Tool Man Taylor's "Man Kitchen", then have fun & teach them good stuff about the wilderness & being a responsible person.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    LOL... I think the idea behind sclittlefield's "Man Camp" is just a light hearted, fun way to get the boys there. Just fun like Tim the Tool Man Taylor's "Man Kitchen", then have fun & teach them good stuff about the wilderness & being a responsible person.
    That's the ticket slowhike. Most every trip I do is for both the boys and girls, this particular one is the only one just for the boys, and there's a different event my wife does with the girls. With all the trips we do each year, it's really important to have something that's just for boys and just for girls.

-Kankujoe- This is the 4th annual trip. We usually have between 10-15.

-Rain Man- Certainly no sexism intended. We have camps with both boys and girls, it's just this particular one is only for the boys. I don't know who you hang out with, but I'd personally be hard pressed to find someone who is actually sexist around here. From what I've seen, especially in the Church, there's far more of a problem with the effeminization of men as opposed to the exclusion of women. It is perhaps not that way elsewhere, but that is the case 'round these parts.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    From what I've seen, especially in the Church, there's far more of a problem with the effeminization of men as opposed to the exclusion of women. It is perhaps not that way elsewhere, but that is the case 'round these parts.
    I applaud you for what you are doing!!! With all the single family homes and the push to socialize both boys & girls the same... a lot of kids don't have the proper gender models anymore in our culture...

It seems like gender confusion is pretty universal in western culture the past generation or so...

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Wink

WOW ... this string took a few turns off the trail! Interesting reading though and I'll not add to that part of the fire.

I did find the original discussion of weight like a flash back. When I was a scout one of the hardest thing to do for my scout master ... was getting the mommas not to try and kill their kids. In the attempt to make sure their little guy's could survive in the "wilderness" ... ahem ... they'd load them down with can foods and stuff that brought the weight in their cheapo rucksacks to nearly the equivalent of their body weight!

I think in all those years not a single camping trip started on time due to the sorting and dumping of stuff that wasn't needed.

One little guy that was a couple years younger than me had two large cans of peaches since his mom knew he loved them. I mean the industrial sized cans! His mom also packed a Bible with him. Not the little new testament ... the large family coffee table sized Bible! Can't remember his exact words but it was something to the effect "I think she loves me ... but she's goina kill me doing it!"

Anyway sounds like a good program you have going there and thanks for giving me the "flash backs"!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    .Can't remember his exact words but it was something to the effect "I think she loves me ... but she's goina kill me doing it!"
    Yeah, if it's not mom & dad, it's our own insecurity about the unknowns of the wilderness.
    I remember studying Colin Fletcher's extensive "check list" w/ great interest!
    I missed the part that said you didn't carry all that stuff at the same time
    I'm embarrassed to tell how much some of my early packs weighed for a 3 night solo trip
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Yeah, if it's not mom & dad, it's our own insecurity about the unknowns of the wilderness.
    I remember studying Colin Fletcher's extensive "check list" w/ great interest!
    I missed the part that said you didn't carry all that stuff at the same time
    I'm embarrassed to tell how much some of my early packs weighed for a 3 night solo trip:confused:
    Guilty! I will admit that on my first trip my pack dialed in about 60 pounds. Didn't take much hiking to reconsider my choices of what to pack. What scares me now, is watching youth groups (church, scouts, etc) head into the woods with the kids carrying 50-60 pound packs. Of course, the leaders haven't been setting a very good example with packs that look like a packed seabag on their backs, plus coffee pots and dutch ovens hanging off the back. Hope that the kids on this trip have it a little easier.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    sclittlefield I think your mistaken there are always facilitrees you just spelled it wrong
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast