Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable web

Condensation

I have been visiting my sister in western Pa and hanging my hammock on her lovely porch overlooking the pond. I'm getting condensation on my Zeppelin. How much of a problem is that? And would using my UQ Protedtor aleaveate the isue?

Thank you in advance.

Images
    It is probably not a problem if you are not having to pack it up wet every morning. The condensation should stay mostly on the outside of the down, stopped by the DWR shell. (though see below next paragraph for an exception)

A breathable UQP will probably help a lot, depending on the source of the condensation. If you mean outside moisture condensing on the outer shell, aka dew, then the UQP should be a big help. If you are talking about your body vapor traveling through the quilt towards the outside and condensing in the outer layer of down and on the shell, it may not help much with that. Might even make it worse by slightly decreasing breathability.

But, if you have one of the newer UGQ Hyperdry down quilts, I'm pretty sure it will laugh at that amount of moisture and no UQP will be needed, unless you are also needing extra wind protection.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As BillyBob said, that sounds more like dew than condensation. An underquilt protector would probably help, as would a tarp.

On the nights when I choose to hang without a tarp, dew is always a problem for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable web
    The moisture is gathering on the outside so dew is most likely. Thanks for your help guys!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I camp in NW Pa. quite a bit (Warren/Kinzua area) and dew is always heavy there. I use a simple sock (Just Jeff V2 style) or my 2QZQ UQP to keep the dew off my insulation. Items still needs dried each day.
    If you decide to get the UQP, I recommend the spending extra $3 for the bridge mod. It gives you 4 sets of loops - I use these to tie the UQP closed at the top thus making it almost a simple sock.
    If I had to choose just one (sock or UQP), I'd spend the $38 for the UQP with bridge mod.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    As BillyBob said, that sounds more like dew than condensation. An underquilt protector would probably help, as would a tarp.

On the nights when I choose to hang without a tarp, dew is always a problem for me.
    I'm planning an overnight hammock campout next weekend on a beach in So-Cal (as long as the new hammock stand parts arrive in time). Unless our multi-year drought unexpectedly breaks there is almost zero chance of rain, but being so close to the ocean I've experienced very wet tent flys on my tent on previous trips. Should I still put up the hammock tarp to minimize the dew on the sleeping bag / UQ / and me?

Last trip we had only partial coverage since the fly was blocking the wind - and the view of the stars and moon were awesome. I suspect the wind was keeping me dry, whereas calm air and nearby ocean might create the right conditions for lots of dew. SilvrSurfr said he new about this no-tarp dew problem. Do you still decide to go sans-tarp sometimes?

Thanks,
    Slbear

Images
    Slbear, that's a tough one. Maybe no dew, maybe heavy dew! Stars vs dew! How much will heavy dew mess up your insulation? If your hammock and insulation take a good soaking from the dew, can you make it through the night and/or would the rest of your trip be ruined? Sounds like you might go home the next day anyway? If so, maybe roll the dice?

Some sort of sock, if you had one, might get you the best of both worlds. What about some sort of thin wool/fleece blanket laid over all of the hammock except the head?

• + New Posts