Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB/Marmot 0 Bag

New to Hammock Backpacking

I have been backpacking for almost a decade now, and half that time I have been thinking about getting a hammock. I just moved to Eastern Pennsylvania (any backpacking locations I would appreciate, Smoky Mtns and surrounding places was my old stomping grounds), and with the financial side of things looking up I am seriously looking into buying a hammock.
    I have messed around with a buddies hammock several times, researched for I do not know how long, and now I am torn between the HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip or the Warbonnet Blackbird. I have been debating between the two for a month now. This debate, the huge amount of knowledge in this forum, and the positive openness of this forum have led to me joining this forum.
    I am a few inches above 6' tall and weigh in at 200 lbs, I enjoy backpacking all year round (especially winter camping), I have gone through so much data on other places and this forum and still cannot decide.
    So other than to say HI and thank you for the information you have already provided me in the forums, I was wondering what this communities thoughts were? Which ever company I go with I will be getting their largest tarp. (Hex Tarp or the Superfly). If there is a company out there I am better off with I am all ears to suggestions. I am also in the market for a large area tarp just for hanging out in away from the hammock, any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again for having such a great wealth of information in this forum,
    The Mule

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Welcome from MD Mule.

Don't know if you have seen the postings about it yet, But if you can make it to the Fall MAHHA you really should attend. With ~100 hangers present, you can probably get some backside time in just about any hammock out there and see most of the tarps in person. Even if you have tent or just come by for the day, it is a not-to-be-missed event.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
    I have been backpacking for almost a decade now, and half that time I have been thinking about getting a hammock. I just moved to Eastern Pennsylvania (any backpacking locations I would appreciate, Smoky Mtns and surrounding places was my old stomping grounds), and with the financial side of things looking up I am seriously looking into buying a hammock.
    I have messed around with a buddies hammock several times, researched for I do not know how long, and now I am torn between the HH Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip or the Warbonnet Blackbird. I have been debating between the two for a month now. This debate, the huge amount of knowledge in this forum, and the positive openness of this forum have led to me joining this forum.
    I am a few inches above 6' tall and weigh in at 200 lbs, I enjoy backpacking all year round (especially winter camping), I have gone through so much data on other places and this forum and still cannot decide.
    So other than to say HI and thank you for the information you have already provided me in the forums, I was wondering what this communities thoughts were? Which ever company I go with I will be getting their largest tarp. (Hex Tarp or the Superfly). If there is a company out there I am better off with I am all ears to suggestions. I am also in the market for a large area tarp just for hanging out in away from the hammock, any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again for having such a great wealth of information in this forum,
    The Mule
    I will second jwright. A hang would be best for trying. You wont go wrong either way but hammock comfort depends on to many factors to say one would work better. I would also check dream hammocks, hammeck.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    ditto...attend a group hang and watch Shug's videos for new hangers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

and

welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Glad to see we have another addict. You will never backpack the same. I can't say how much more I can do on long hikes because I get such a better sleep. I agree that it is a good idea to try out some hammocks. I have a had two HHs and love them. At this point I am getting a WBBB XLC just to change things up.

You do need to consider weight. If you are taking out your hammock and it weighs the same as a two man tent then it isn't too smart. You want to save weight and be comfortable. You will find a lot of different lightweight hammock ideas here. Do some research and you will find the hammock(s) right for you.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB/Marmot 0 Bag
    Thank you all for the advice. I will check into group hangs in the Pennsylvania area. And I have already seen many of Shug's videos, those videos actually directed me to research at this site. I think I am also leaning towards the WBBB XLC, but I am going to check out the Dream Hammoks. Thanks again everyone.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Definitely check out the Fall MAHHA:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=MAHHA

You haven't mentioned insulation - an integral part of hammock camping. If you're going with a pad for underinsulation, then a double layer hammock makes things easier.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts