Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

How do I advocate "proper" hammock camping without being a jerk?

This weekend I was at a Boy Scout camporee with my son. My son and I have started hanging exclusively when we camp and I am teaching him the ways to do so safely while protecting the trees. In his bedroom, my son sleeps in a hammock, but uses a GrandTrunk Ultralight he bought at the scout store this summer. I instantly replaced the stock suspension with tree straps and whoopies and it's a great setup for him.

This past weekend, another couple of scouts also brought their GrandTrunk Ultralights from the scout store, but they had not replaced the stock suspension. They hung them, but I didn't say anything... They weren't going to use them for sleeping, so I figured it wasn't going to be much of an issue. Later in the afternoon, I saw one of the scouts swinging and wrapping himself up in his hammock. I went over and looked at the bark of the tree.... It was really worn from the swinging. I mentioned to him that he should really get straps the next time and showed him why. I also mentioned to the Scoutmaster that the boys should use straps when hanging from now on and mentioned that maybe we could do some hammock activities (making whoopies/continuous loops, etc.) at a meeting. This was discussed as a good idea, but also, since we spend most of our meeting time working on merit badge requirements, it is probably not going to happen.

And then the big dilemma for me... I saw the setup that another local Scoutmaster used. This guy is locally thought of as "the Scoutmaster..." He does all the adult training and his troop is generally the most active and well run. Most people seek his advice on scout/outdoor related things. He had a nice ENO setup with a gear hammock and a nice rainfly (although I didn't catch the brand/model...) The ENO had whoopies installed, BUT the hammock was hung with the whoopies wrapped around the tree and I could see where they had dug into the bark. I can't imagine this guy not knowing better... But he doesn't. He wasn't around and I didn't say anything to anyone about what I saw...

Later in the day, I was walking by and overheard bits of a conversation he was having with a parent and definitely heard the words "ultralight" and "camping" and I feel confident he was discussing his setup. I have never been officially introduced to this gentleman, and I probably wouldn't recognize him outside of a BSA event.

Given my lengthy story, I would like some opinions/advice...
    1) I like that the camp store carries the GT Ultralights, but does anyone have any recommendations on how to suggest that they also carry decent suspensions? Does anyone have a letter that they have drafted along those lines from which I could crib some notes? EDIT-I sent an email to the contact listed at the online store for the trading post... We'll see if I hear anything...
    2) Without being a real jerk, how could I recommend to the other scoutmaster that he really should be using tree straps?
    3) I know there has been some mention of trying to get a BSA merit badge for hammock camping. How do we get that approved?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dirkomatic; 09-08-2014 at 09:16. Reason: Notes in text.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Show people your setup. Explain all of it, including the straps, and why they are so necessary. Ease of adjustment is one item to stress...wrapping whoopies around the tree sounds like a real pita.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Invite him over to check out your set up and get his advice on how to "improve it" and discuss how your set up does not hurt the trees.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    When discussing something like this, make sure you talk about Leave No Trace. Because that's big , maybe that'll help you bring the point home.

A couple of years ago at summer camp, we had 3 scouts buy cheap "lounging" hammocks and proceeded to tie them around trees with rope. I talked to them and explained it to them and the solution we came up with was to loosen the rope and places ticks between the tree & the rope so that the rope would dig into the sticks and not the tree.

I spoke with the activities director and he actually suggested that the trading post sell strapping by the foot but it got shot down by the camp director.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Show people your setup. Explain all of it, including the straps, and why they are so necessary. Ease of adjustment is one item to stress...wrapping whoopies around the tree sounds like a real pita.
    I thought the same thing about being a PITA. I like this, but I'm also not an intrsuive kind of guy... I will show people my setup, but ususally only if they ask. Our troop's scoutmaster seems open to the ideas I've brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Invite him over to check out your set up and get his advice on how to "improve it" and discuss how your set up does not hurt the trees.
    I like this. Next time I am at an event which he is at, I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    I spoke with the activities director and he actually suggested that the trading post sell strapping by the foot but it got shot down by the camp director.
    I see this being an issue here as well, but we'll see...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have found no one likes to be told what to do or called out. Normally I explain (white lie here) that the use of tree straps give a way more comfortable lay in the hammock and decreases the chance that the tree may fall on you. I say it very seriously. They buy it or not.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    In all aspects of life people don't like being told they are doing something wrong. even if they know its wrong. For many years scouting was seen as the single greatesr threat to our parks. In part because of people like the one you are describing. Even now as BSA has removed the working of Leave No Trace ( for copyright reasons), it is still a struggle to get people to think of things from a global view.

I am in Law Enforcement and take my job to be compliance through education. I spend countless hours education people within my town, cubscouts, friends, family and thru all walks of life including this site. I feel the only reason to have knowledge is to share it with others. As I have gotten older, and of course throughout my LE experience, I have come to understand that education doesn't always work. You can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink, so to speak. I find that if my education is not working, I stop trying. If the situation warrants it I go above them or as in my job I enforce with the given authority.

If the practices of leave no trace or common decency have not led this person to figure that out on his own, and you have given him a full understanding of the implication of his actions; including the damage to the trees (and all the trees both he and those he is teaching), the fact that all hangers will bare the brunt of his actions, among others.

I would try one more time to explain this issue to him and this time I would pull him aside and tell him that if he didnt fix this issue (or make grand plans to do so) I would be getting the ranger to fully explain LNT and proper hanging, and I would do so in front of all those we have invited to this event. I would also advise him that this information will be passed onto every organization associated with his troop, including the charter organization.

As you can tell from my attitude toward ignorance, I don't make very many friends. Actually I take that back, All those that know me including those in this forum know that I have ideals I believe in and if I feel someone is violating those ideals I am going to speak my mind. If it involves the teaching of our youth, then I am going to take action. I am not saying I would act like this if it was about the menu or schedule. Just like at work if I meet someone like that and its a simple matter, then I just walk away. My actions are directly proportioned to offense. I will almost go to no end with someone if they need education. I have spent many hours going over something if they are willing, but I have no sympathy for ignorance.

I find that in most walks of life birds of a feather, flock together. I am sure I wouldn't make friends with people like this, but I find that if you go high enough you get traction. BSA has gotten itself in a bunch of trouble with collusion and cronyism. If those people are the ones making policy them they need to be asked to move along.

Just my point of view and like I said I really don't do a good job of maintaining friends in situations like that but my goals are not to make friends, its the proper education of our youth.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    +1 to that ^
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Don't approach it from a "you're wrong" stand point, but more of a, "here's best practice" stand point. If he's as knowledge as you claim, he should be open minded about his set up. I'd approach is from a "leave no trace" stand point. The easiest thing to do is just point it out to him: "I noticed at the last camp out your hammock left some mark's on the tree's, and I'd love to show you what I do to help prevent that."

Images
    Is there any kind of Scouting Website scouts frequent? or A news letter all get?
    Maybe you could take some picture of rope damage as you come across it and some properly installed straps and write an article for the website.
    Talk about leave no trace. Maybe provide a DIY on how to make simple tree straps with knots and toggles since not every scout has access to a sewing machine.
    reference: http://www.buttinasling.com/tosyse.html

Find away to write your article asking them for help in getting the message out.

Good luck please let us know how it is going and if we can help in anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast