Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'm about your size and I just got back from a 4 day trip to the Boundry Waters Canoe Area (BWCA). I was very comfy in a 1.7double layered Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB)http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/blackbird_h.htm. I used it with a JRB Shenendoh under quilt as a top quilt http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular%20Quilts.htm, a Thermarest pad (which I already owned) and a Claytor Diamond Fly http://www.mosquitohammock.com. This set up cost me $400, but you could use a sleeping bag as a top quilt and it would save you $180. My set up worked very well for a summer trip so it may suit your conditions perfect. I will need another tarp to make it a 3 or 4 season hammock for me though.

I was warned about shoulder squeeze (I have big shoulders) in a Claytor or Clark so I steered clear of them even though I liked the price of the Claytor. I get alot of room laying diagonally in a WBBB and it's very strong. I love it !!!

P.S. I did try a Skeeter Beater Pro (SBPro) first, it was comfy, but I found at our size I just sunk into far and struggled to get outof it. No problems like that in my WBBB.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spratto View Post
    ........ I've looked at the Hennessy Hammocks and they seem to be well built and cost much less, but only one model is made to hold my weight. When I called them, they guy at Hennessy almost discouraged the sale of that particular model saying that it was "not one they like to sell." It was a very odd conversation to say the least................
    Spratto'
    That does indeed sound like a very odd conversation. The (presumably) Safari( their only hammock rated for 350 lbs) is "not one they like to sell."? This is the same hammock(except without the net) as here, in the 1st post:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9863

And I can confirm that this is one Uber Comfy hammock, and I have a bunch of them for comparison. Including another HH.

Does that statement maybe mean they don't have a good enough profit margin, so they don't like to sell it? I have no idea.

I was warned about shoulder squeeze (I have big shoulders) in a Claytor or Clark so I steered clear of them even though I liked the price of the Claytor.
    Have a lot of folks here had shoulder squeeze with the Claytors? What about it, Neo? Admittedly, my Claytor No Net is the most narrow hammock I have tried, which is an advantage in some ways. Regardless, I have always been very comfortable in it, and I have never been aware of a shoulder squeeze problem. I am not exactly petite at 6'1" with size 45 coat and E.L. shirts. Now, I have had some shoulder squeeze if I pull them too tight and lay on the mid-line, as I have had with the Speer and some others. But I think that is more of an adjustment issue.

However, I weigh 210 lbs, not 300. Maybe if I was heavier, with much broader shoulders, I would have squeeze issue? Any one know- have any 250-300+ pounders here tried to use a Claytor and been squeezed?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Does that statement maybe mean they don't have a good enough profit margin, so they don't like to sell it? I have no idea.
    Having owned a Safari but not had that conversation with HH I would suspect they have the most complaints about that one in terms of not having the Super Shelter for it. So in order to make it something other than a strictly warm weather hammock they have to refer out to underquilts which they probably don't want to do since they don't market them. That's why I got rid of my Safari... to facilitate the move into cold weather camping. I am quite glad I did.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Having owned a Safari but not had that conversation with HH I would suspect they have the most complaints about that one in terms of not having the Super Shelter for it. So in order to make it something other than a strictly warm weather hammock they have to refer out to underquilts which they probably don't want to do since they don't market them. That's why I got rid of my Safari... to facilitate the move into cold weather camping. I am quite glad I did.
    Yes, that might make sense also. You would think they would just make a SS available for the Safari. But, I'm betting they don't sell a lot of them any way, due to the weight. I bet at least a slight majority HH customers are hikers who are very concerned about weight. So if they don't sell many, they wouldn't go to the expense and trouble of making a SS for it.

Hammock
    ENO, ABES
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Camo
    Insulation
    DIY FL Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wow, thank you all very much for taking the time to provide me with some good information. I will start taking a serious look at the Blackbird.

And yes, the HH was the Safari model. Unfortunately, that one contact with Hennessy has left me with a bad taste for their products. But I'm sure that will change over time. Again, thank you all very much!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spratto View Post
    Unfortunately, that one contact with Hennessy has left me with a bad taste for their products. But I'm sure that will change over time.
    Don't be too sure... hehehe.

I am a confirmed HH aficionado because their designs solve some very important problems for me. yada yada yada. But there are some things about their products and practices that have caused some hard feelings over time. Some of the issues are valid, some not so. IMO the fact is you will be better off with some other design as long as you do not _need_ the bottom entry.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    As an avid Clark owner of many of there products and the owner of the Black Bird hammock and superfly tarp and a half quilt. I can tell you that you will spend just about as much money getting everything you need to make it in the fall and winter as you would to buy a clark and get everything the first time.

I use all these hammocks and here lately I have been using my Black Bird more then the clark because it's not so hot compared to the clark in the summer heat. but when it comes to colder weather I tend to trust my clarks but I am going to use my Black bird this winter if I can ever afford a nice underquilt.. things hav been real hard for me right now so it will be a while before i buy one.

I think the Black bird or the Clark are your best bet in my best opinion...

Hammock
    ENO, ABES
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Camo
    Insulation
    DIY FL Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great thank you Cavediver!

By the way, I'm the P.M. of Hickory Hill, MO A.F.& A.M. #211.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A.F & A.M.??? too many initials, elaborate please for those challenged like me.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO, ABES
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Camo
    Insulation
    DIY FL Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sorry about that. From his Avatar, (Square and Compass) I assumed that Cave Diver is a Freemason and so am I. A.F. & A.M. Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and P.M. is a Past lodge Master.
    Last edited by spratto; 08-04-2009 at 22:10.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast