Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Best Insulation for Bottom Entry Hennessy Hammock

Hello,
    I own a bottom entry Explorer from Hennessy. I've been looking to switch from a pad to an underquilt or supershelter. I was just wondering what you guys use, Pros and Cons of the systems you use, and what you would recommend to someone new to Bottom insulation like me. I'm currently looking into the potomac from Arrowhead, the prodigy from Enlightened Equipment or the Basic Supershelter. I would love to keep it as light as possible and cost effective as possible. Thanks!

Nighthawk

Images
    Hi Nighthawk welcome.

I believe this UQ is specifly designed for your bottom entry hammock.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the-nest/

I would add it to your compare contrast list.

hth

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    As Outandback said above. Put the JacksRBetter The Nest and Winter Nest into your pile. They are both meant specifically to fit the bottom entry HH and have Velcro that matches up to your HH entry. I have 2 HH Bottom entry and use The Nest on them. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had purchased the Winter Nest but I am happy with all of my JRB products. I have The Nest and two Old Rag quilts that I uses as either UQ or TQ.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Nighthawk welcome.

I believe this UQ is specifly designed for your bottom entry hammock.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the-nest/

I would add it to your compare contrast list.

hth
    + 1 As mentioned, the Nest is made specifically for the bottom entry hammock although it can work on any top entry as well. It's a great piece of gear and well worth considering.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You might consider the Potomac by Arrowhead Equipment. Paul has a video on that page specifically addressing the bottom entry Hennessys.

Images
    All of the ones you mentioned will probably do just fine, plus the JRB products mentioned by responders. I have never used the AHE designed for bottom entry, but I have used a different quilt that they make, and pretty much agree with the very high rating that quilt gets around here.

I have always had great luck with the HHSS, as have some other folks here, though there are probably an equal number of ex users who do not like them. If you do a search, you can find about a zillion pro/con threads at HF, plus quite a few tests I have done over an 8 year period. My record is being toasty at 6F using the basic full length HH pad/space blanket + 3 oz HH kidney/torso pads. But that was a rigged test since I was wearing vapor barrier clothing which added an unknown amount of warmth, probably quite a bit. However, I also could have gone below 6F by some unknown amount, if temps had just cooperated, maybe below zero. That basic 1 pad system has taken me to low 30s with out VB clothing, weighs about 20 oz, about the same as a full length 30F down UQ, and packs down pretty small but not as small as an 850 FP quilt. It's best feature IMO is that a windproof/waterproof undercover is included in the weight and price. This is roughly the equivalent of whats known as an UQP(under quilt protector). It is also designed to add clothing you don't sleep in down into the UC for a BIG warmth boost. It seems to me very few people take advantage of that benefit. But I have done it numerous times when sleeping below 20F.

But those down UQs are mighty fine also, at least mine are (JRBs and WB Climashield Yeti and Speer Pea Pod), so there are a lot of good ways to go. Have fun deciding! Sometimes it is very difficult deciding which great option to use, unless I have friends who need a loaner which gets me down to whatever is left over. Whichever one you get, be prepared to master the learning curve that each one of them can have. You really need to understand how these things work, it's not as simple as zipping up in a sleeping bag while on a pad. Drafts or gaps or accordion effect, or condensation must be avoided at all cost. Easy enough to do, you just need to understand how they work.
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    All of the ones you mentioned will probably do just fine, plus the JRB products mentioned by responders. I have never used the AHE designed for bottom entry, but I have used a different quilt that they make, and pretty much agree with the very high rating that quilt gets around here.

I have always had great luck with the HHSS, as have some other folks here, though there are probably an equal number of ex users who do not like them. If you do a search, you can find about a zillion pro/con threads at HF, plus quite a few tests I have done over an 8 year period. My record is being toasty at 6F using the basic full length HH pad/space blanket + 3 oz HH kidney/torso pads. But that was a rigged test since I was wearing vapor barrier clothing which added an unknown amount of warmth, probably quite a bit. However, I also could have gone below 6F by some unknown amount, if temps had just cooperated, maybe below zero. That basic 1 pad system has taken me to low 30s with out VB clothing, weighs about 20 oz, about the same as a full length 30F down UQ, and packs down pretty small but not as small as an 850 FP quilt. It's best feature IMO is that a windproof/waterproof undercover is included in the weight and price. This is roughly the equivalent of whats known as an UQP(under quilt protector). It is also designed to add clothing you don't sleep in down into the UC for a BIG warmth boost. It seems to me very few people take advantage of that benefit. But I have done it numerous times when sleeping below 20F.

But those down UQs are mighty fine also, at least mine are (JRBs and WB Climashield Yeti and Speer Pea Pod), so there are a lot of good ways to go. Have fun deciding! Sometimes it is very difficult deciding which great option to use, unless I have friends who need a loaner which gets me down to whatever is left over. Whichever one you get, be prepared to master the learning curve that each one of them can have. You really need to understand how these things work, it's not as simple as zipping up in a sleeping bag while on a pad. Drafts or gaps or accordion effect, or condensation must be avoided at all cost. Easy enough to do, you just need to understand how they work.
    Bill
    Great breakdown bill. I have heard mixed reviews on the supershelter as well, that's why I thought I would ask. Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a JrB Nest. Works great on the bottom entry HH. Also works great on other hammocks. Have used it with my WBBB, DIY, and my wife currently uses it on her BMBH.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Seems like the Jacks R Better Nest is the way to go. I really like the design, but I was wondering if anyone used an underquilt that was a little cheaper, and worked close to as well as the Nest.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NightHawk! View Post
    Seems like the Jacks R Better Nest is the way to go. I really like the design, but I was wondering if anyone used an underquilt that was a little cheaper, and worked close to as well as the Nest.
    Short answer is no I have the JRB Old Rag and it is a great quilt but it does not work as well with the bottom entry on the HH as the Nest does. There is more "fiddling" getting it to stay in place (think Dutch quilt clips), the pull outs for the shape of the HH are not quite right, and it is a PITA to get in/out of the bottom entry.

What you can do, and I did do, is send your HH off to 2QZQ and have the Mod 4 done. That will install zippers on both sides of the HH. Then you can easily use any quilt you want. Bad news for this is, you will still want to use your bottom entry during bug season because the HH bottom entry does the best job of keeping bugs out of your hammock.

Personally I would use a WalMart blue CCF pad and sleeping bag while you save up $ for The Nest. It is what I did. Pads are a pain to get positioned correctly and not as comfortable as an UQ but it does work in the short term while you collect up funds. I used a pad/sleep bag my first winter in temps down to 20F.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast