Hello from Cornwall in the UK

Dear All,

What a terrific forum this is, I'm so impressed by the open friendliness and helpfulness of all the members. I've been reading and learning for a couple of months and have made my first hammock, a plain gathered end job. Slept out in it this weekend and was delighted how much more comfortable it is than being on the ground. I'm in my 60s and had more or less given up on camping because I got so stiff on the floor. "Hanging" gets me outdoors again, hurrah'

My next job will be to make a Turtle Lady stand, what a fine piece of design it is.

I would very much like to see other sorts of hammocks and associated kit before making anything else. As I shall be visiting friends between Washington DC and Baltimore next month, I wondered if anyone could recommend a store in that vicinity which displays good stocks of hammocks and gear that I might visit to check it all out. Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

I shall continue to read and enjoy being part of this lovely online hanging club, thanks for having me as a member,

Regards, Sharon

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Warm welcome to the forum, Sharon.
    I'm sure others will help you out with your request for help.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyebren View Post
    Dear All,

What a terrific forum this is, I'm so impressed by the open friendliness and helpfulness of all the members. I've been reading and learning for a couple of months and have made my first hammock, a plain gathered end job. Slept out in it this weekend and was delighted how much more comfortable it is than being on the ground. I'm in my 60s and had more or less given up on camping because I got so stiff on the floor. "Hanging" gets me outdoors again, hurrah'

My next job will be to make a Turtle Lady stand, what a fine piece of design it is.

I would very much like to see other sorts of hammocks and associated kit before making anything else. As I shall be visiting friends between Washington DC and Baltimore next month, I wondered if anyone could recommend a store in that vicinity which displays good stocks of hammocks and gear that I might visit to check it all out. Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

I shall continue to read and enjoy being part of this lovely online hanging club, thanks for having me as a member,

Regards, Sharon
    Well, first off welcome to the forum and secondly as far as a store goes, alot of us prefer our cottage venders over store bought hammocks hands down but if your in the northeast section of the usa around october 10,11,12th then there is a group hang where you can check out dozens and dozens of set ups in action,, look into our trip planning threads under northeast and find the PA, Mahha, it's a 3 day event of hangers the likes of that you have to see to believe

Thanks for your friendly welcome, doesn't look like there's any suggestions for stores, what a shame.
    I'll just have to go on reading here. Regards, Sharon

And thanks for your welcome and invitation, Zilla. Alas it won't be possible for me to get to the group hang.
    Maybe I'll just wander around a few big outdoor stores around Washington to see what I can find.
    Regards, Sharon

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    welcome to the forum, Sharon, i am turning 60 this month ,and this is my 1st year / season in a hammock, i really wish I had started earlier I used to camp a lot in a tent ,but the ground seemed to be getting harder every year, plus just the pain in the a$$ of setting up and taking down a tent so I missed out on camping for a while until I got my 1st hammock, love it to bits,i hope you enjoy yours as much .p.s. this forum has taught me so much ,the people are fantastic

Hi Paul, it's lovely to meet a fellow old-newbie.
    It was amazing how comfortable the first night I spent in a hammock was, having learnt to lie "properly" on this great forum. The members here are so knowledgeable and generous in sharing their experience, skills and tips.
    I wish you many great nights' sleep in your set-up and I'm looking forward to the same - once I sort out an under-quilt, fly screen, tarp, footmat, sleeping bag, etc etc.
    Regards, Sharon

Hammock
    HH, wbbb,woodsman x
    Tarp
    Edge, hh asym, s/f
    Insulation
    Hhss/down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hello Sharon,
    Where are you too?
    I've got a variety of kit down St. Ives way. hennesey, blackbird and woodsman x hammocks, plus edge and Superfly tarps, if you want to have a try out some time, give us a shout.
    Cheers
    Jon
    To err is human,
    To aaarr is pirate.

Hi Jon,
    What a nice surprise to see the flag of St. Piran flying on this forum.
    I live up near the Tamar Bridge so not too far away.
    It looks like you've invested in very smart hammocks and gear and
    I'd love to come down to see some of it, thank you.
    It may not be possible for a few weeks as I'm getting ready for my US trip,
    but I'll definitely get in touch when I'm home again in November. Thanks again,
    Regards, Sharon

Hammock
    HH, wbbb,woodsman x
    Tarp
    Edge, hh asym, s/f
    Insulation
    Hhss/down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Ok no probs, I've been able to build up some excellent kit with help from this site. I'm now sleeping drier, warmer and more comfortable than I would've thought possible.
    Cheers Jon
    To err is human,
    To aaarr is pirate.

• + New Posts