Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps

Camping Locations

This may be a dumb question but....

Most of my camping has been in designated campsites in State & National Parks in designated campsites, on private land or established Hiking Trails, & Rivers where camping is specifically permitted. Most times a permit is issued or fee charged and you're expected to "camp" only in designated "campsites."

My question: Since hammocks can be hung just about anywhere there are trees, do you ever have issues with rangers or others for making camp away from sites that have specifically been designated for camping?

Many of the places I've been specifically state something to the effect: "Camping is permitted only in designated campsites."

Do you always get specific permission to "camp?" Or is it mainly a "don't ask, don't tell" situation?

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post

Most of my camping has been in designated campsites in State & National Parks in designated campsites, on private land or established Hiking Trails, & Rivers where camping is specifically permitted. Most times a permit is issued or fee charged and you're expected to "camp" only in designated "campsites."

My question: Since hammocks can be hung just about anywhere there are trees, do you ever have issues with rangers or others for making camp away from sites that have specifically been designated for camping?

Many of the places I've been specifically state something to the effect: "Camping is permitted only in designated campsites."

Do you always get specific permission to "camp?" Or is it mainly a "don't ask, don't tell" situation?
    I ALWAYS pay my camping fee here in Texas, but I may wander away from the designated campsite....always by accident mind you

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    my camping exp is the exact opposite of yours. I loathe paying to spend time in the mountains. That is why I mainly camp in unimproved/national forest areas. First sign of pavement I am gone.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I am with Plowhorse on this one, "Campgrounds" are a last resort. I know that in lost of areas that have tones of use, things very a lot due to land managers trying to control the impact on senetive areas. But out our way - the west- there is so much open land that if we try we can find spots to camp that will not negativly impact the land but is also away from others. However if it is neccissary to pay an access fee to help maintain the quality of the land we all share and enjoy then that's what we should do. Here in Idaho for several years we had a trail pass system in place in the Sawtooths, a 3 day pass was 10 bucks or a annual pass was 20 or 25 for a full year. The fees colect helped to fund trail up keep. I feel that if land managment requires fees for certin area, it is our choice to use those areas or not, and pay those fees regardless of our feeling of how much we are using the "facilitys" -- trails, fire rings, restrooms, trail parking........

But if it is my choice then I am out in the less travled, less restricted areas away from everyone else.

Paul

Hammock
    DIY hack-job
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Natural Blubber
    Suspension
    1 in webbing
    I pay to camp exactly once a year. Its state owned boat camping sites in the middle of Lake George. Otherwise, I use the magic that is the Adirondack Wilderness. There are designated campsites (first come, first served, no fee) but one can largely camp anywhere under 3500 feet above sea level as long as it is far enough away from trails and water..

The hammocks give us the opportunity to shy away from the designated sites because we can camp on a hill. This is a HUGE plus in selecting sites in the mountains.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Hey guys - let's not lose sight of what the original poster asked.

He acknowledged that HIS camping was mostly done in established grounds, and wondered what hammockers did in those situations.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

He acknowledged that HIS camping was mostly done in established grounds, and wondered what hammockers did in those situations.
    correct, I'm in Texas you either
    A) Camp in state parks and get as far away as you can
    B) Drive HOURS to the Canyons or Mountains. I do this a couple times a year
    C) take your chance on private lands in a state that thinks carrying a gun should start in the first grade. You're already in the middle of nowhere, it's easy to dig a hole

I go into state parks and go to the primitive campsites if available if not I wander into an area I feel is safe, I DO NOT do this from November-Jan.

Hammock
    DIY hack-job
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Natural Blubber
    Suspension
    1 in webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

I apologize... I misread.

When I do camp on a designated site that charges, we all pay. In our case, the sites are owned by the state, and that money goes directly back in to preservation of our wild lands. With much of that wilderness being less than 5 hours from New York City, that's very important.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post

When I camp at established camp grounds I usually don't have any problem finding an established or designated site that has ample trees for hanging. Its just about site selection but if you don't have a choice asking to or just taking a few steps inside the treeline shouldn't be too big a deal. I would just look at the sites for appropriate trees and you should usually be fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In my experience, most privately run campsites have zero problems with hammocks.

To answer your question; yes, I ask permission first. I used to call ahead, but I've realized the results are better when I'm standing there face to face. I think folks get defensive on the phone. State parks are generally not a good place for hammocks. They all have different rules, but many have some kind of rule against attaching anything to trees or structures.

Sucks too BTW.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast