diy 1.9 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    diy cat-cut hex
    Insulation
    diy ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Pfaff thrift find - good purchase?

I bought a Pfaff 262-261 for $12.00 at a local thrift. I'm not familiar with Pfaffs at all, so I failed to notice that it was missing a few parts: bed slide, bobbin case, bobbins. It was also missing a presser foot and needle, but I scavenged those off of a different thrift machine. Its stop motion knob had been broken off as well, though what was left of it was in the (falling apart) plastic case. I can obtain all of these parts except for the bed slide on ebay, but what I want to know is, should I, or am I throwing good money after bad? Replacing the missing parts would cost me about $40.

The fact that the stop motion knob was broken off (it looks like the screw part was sheared off) worries me (how on earth do you shear/snap off an approximately 1/2" thick steel screw?), and I'm concerned that perhaps it is missing more parts that I can't see. On the plus side, the foot pedal operates the balance wheel just fine (though due to the missing stop motion knob, the wheel doesn't turn any of the moving parts), and if I hold together with pliers the balance wheel and the place where the stop motion knob screws in and turn the pliers, the needle moves up and down.

Expert advice would be appreciated! Even though I can't currently use the machine, I've been reading the manual online and it seems very well designed. I also really like the looks of it, which is what induced me to buy it even though I knew the balance wheel wasn't engaging anything.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    The Pfaff 262 is a great, classic machine. My neighbour got one (free) and I helped him get it going, and that sorta started me on my collection of machines.....whether this was a positive thing or not is still an open question!

I wouldn't spend more than $75 or $100 on a 262 myself, but if you can get it running for less than that you would be OK. and, lots of 'play value' in working on a machine like that. It can be tricky to free up the needle position lever. Taking off the 'automatic' mechanism can give access if necessary.
    There's a Yahoo group for vintage Pfaff machines, and they have service manuals in the files there, as well as a number of very knowledgeable contributors to discussions.

You gotta wonder how those parts get lost and broken, huh?

Hammock
    diy 1.9 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    diy cat-cut hex
    Insulation
    diy ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the information, VictoriaGuy, that's very helpful. What to do, what to do...for slightly less than the parts to (hopefully) get the 262 in working order, I could buy off of Craigslist a Montgomery Ward clone of the Singer 15-91 that is allegedly in good working condition and is being sold, along with original case, accessories, etc. by the original purchaser. Trying to decide where my dollars would best be allocated...

I foresee that, like many on this forum, I too will become a vintage sewing machine collector - I already have the Pfaff and a White, and have my eye on several CL machines (Singer 301, Singer 404, Singer 201-2...). And there are a bunch of machines I'm currently drooling over on ebay, but will not buy because I'm setting my limit at $50 ($75 if I find something truly amazing).

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by jaye_p View Post
    Trying to decide where my dollars would best be allocated...

I foresee that, like many on this forum, I too will become a vintage sewing machine collector - I already have the Pfaff and a White, and have my eye on several CL machines (Singer 301, Singer 404, Singer 201-2...). And there are a bunch of machines I'm currently drooling over on ebay, but will not buy because I'm setting my limit at $50 ($75 if I find something truly amazing).
    I agree it's hard to decide about putting $$ into an older machine. Fortunately the most I've had to do is replace a few belts and tires, and buy some bobbins and an Elna cam - nothing major. (I don't count the $50 gear I had to buy to fix my wife's Pfaff 1222E which had the poor taste to fail while I was using it... )

Buying a machine for sewing is different than picking up something neat for the collection IMO. I do try to keep in mind that sewing machines were produced by the millions, so few of them are rare. That said, I find the European machines more interesting, but that's just me. Singers - and even the Japanese clones of them- don't turn my crank much, though they are well-regarded. I made an exception to my rule when I picked up a White trying to look like a Necchi a while back.
    Gotta stick to that dollar limit! (And, IMO, forget about having a machine shipped by an ebay seller...).

• + New Posts