Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    So far I've had three nights in my new NX250 hammock. Two of these nights it rained pretty hard and continuous. I stayed dry & comfortable. The 1st night I used a milsurp CCF pad. On nights 2 & 3 I didn't use anything except a lite fleece blanket & camp pillow. I was pretty comfortable except for the ambient humidity. I'm looking forward to cooler temps.

I like my set up pretty well so far, been tweaking things a little, learning what works best for me. Installed an inside shock-cord ridgeline to hang some small gear & an overhead LED light. So far so good, I was able to read comfortably for several hours while lounging and listening to the critters at night.

I also really like the drip rings that came with it, a video on Clark's website shows how to use them & the polypro ropes as a tensioner to set & adjust the hammock suspension. These along with a couple climbing biners & tree hugger straps makes the setup a breeze. Much more easy than trying to adjust the hang with a bowline knot. I'm using nitesize figure 9s on all of my guidelines on the tarp. These make tension adjustments rather easy. I think I'll also begin using a corded ridgeline on the tarp (it has a seamed ridgeline). I believe this will protect it better from wind gusts, the material & stitching is quality but I think I'll feel more comfortable with a standard ridgeline.

Some other observations: The NX250 has a lot of room, I'm able to move around in it, lay diagonal, lay on my side, and back with relative ease & comfort. There is no significant shoulder squeeze, there is plenty of elbow room and it is long enough to lay relatively flat. The hammock base is long enough to put my pack inside with me, I just need to figure a way to secure it & keep it from sliding to the middle (I'm planning on some kind of web handle/biner or a cargo net to secure my pack?). I'm glad I went with the NX250 vs the NX150 or the NA. The overall construction & materials are top notch. I also like the pockets underneath, it is easy & convenient stowing & retrieving gear while inside the hammock. The new tarp (RX250) is plenty large (124"L x 98"W on the head end & 74"W on the foot end) and has a catenary cut configuration.

I picked up a new pad, Exped Multipad 39"x79"x.12"(3mm) EVA ccf foam covered with ripstop nylon. It is big & seems to stay put. I'm looking forward to using it when the temps are cooler. I suspect I'll purchase Clark's UQ when they become available. The bug net canopy works well, easy to open/close on either side. The Weathershield is also easy to adjust, zip & upzip or stow away.

So far, I'm pretty happy with my new set up. Can't wait for the cooler weather to get out and really break it in.

Great trip report I am glad it's working out for you and hope you have years of continued success with it...........

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

jealous

I am both jealous and envious of all of you that have the 250 my day will come soon. Then I will be on here telling all the great things of the 250 I am glad that so many of you have them that I get to read about there good things and bad things before I buy one..

Keep posting the good word I am watching..........

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Some more impressions:

I spent the past two nights in my Clark NX-250 and I really like this setup... I can understand now the loyalty to the Clark brand.

Since the weather was forcasted to be clear I did not set up the tarp. I slept on top of an open cheapo ****'s mummy bag and had a fleece blanket as a top cover. I'm definately going to invest in a top quilt as this seems to be the easiest way to go. Still trying to decide what to sleep on (pad, quilt, blanket, bag). I expect to buy Clark's UQ setup when available...

I was completely comfortable on top of the open mummy bag w/o a pad in temps of 53* both nights. I had the "weathershield" closed to 80% length which added to the internal warmth, when zipped 100% it was a little too warm... but not bad, this will be a great feature as the temps drop, I expect to get all 4 seasons out of this setup. I slept in boxers & a cotton tee shirt, barefoot... but I had my feet in the mummy bag foot box... I also wore a fleece skull cap. I slept great at night and slept in a little...

I even took a mid day nap... expected to nap 20-30 minutes but slept for about 3 hours! This hammock is really comfortable. I've never slept this long or this comfortably on the ground. I've been missing out the past 40+ years of camping comfort.

As before, the set up is a breeze (about 2-3 minutes if that).

This time I used my Black Diamond Zenix IQ headlight to read for a few hours. Nice to be able to quickly stow the book underneath in the pockets when done and not wake up laying on it.

That's it for now...
    Last edited by Kankujoe; 08-24-2009 at 03:48. Reason: to add - sleep clothes...
    KJ

Well, the Clark was dropped off yesterday. First some initial impressions. This is a well-made hammock. For the price it ought to be. I went over it and could find NO, NO bad sewing areas at all.

The initial setup took 20 min but that included lots of looking, reading and pic taking to make sure I didn’t mess it up. I only had to re-adjust it one time. The set-up is rather straightforward. The poles slip in with no problem and from what I can see, that is the major difference between this hammock and the rest.

I like the fact that the tarp is not connected to the hammock. I put it up last just to see how it covered the hammock. It looks as if it will be just right. Clark has put some thought into this one.

When in the hammock, the poles keep the fabric well clear. You feel as if you are “not confined”. I had no trouble moving around and it never felt “tippy”

After the initial flop down and wiggle to check the stability I sat up and scooted to the foot. Pulling out the bug net, I zipped it up as I was moving back into position and had no trouble at all. With the net up, you still have full vision. It seams as if you have a light pair of sunglasses on, no darker.

I then un-zipped the net and repeated with the storm cover. Again no problem however, with the temp at 94, I didn’t leave the storm cover up long enough to see how hot the oven would get.

Take down and returning the hammock to the stuff sac took two min with no problems. It is a tight fit tho.

Will set it up as a tent tomorrow just to see how it will work and take a few pics.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I can't tell from the pictures, but is there a tie-off line coming from the top of the curve of the poles/netting/weathershield, that goes to the tree??
    TinaLouise

C

NO there is not.

Just the main lines to the tree [or porch pole].

When setting up as a tent, there is a line from that position, there is a tab on the hammock just for that. You tie off there, then run that line over a pole and stake it down.

The "spreader poles" are not used in the "tent" configuration.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Cypress View Post
    NO there is not.

Just the main lines to the tree [or porch pole].

When setting up as a tent, there is a line from that position, there is a tab on the hammock just for that. You tie off there, then run that line over a pole and stake it down.

The "spreader poles" are not used in the "tent" configuration.
    From looking at the pictures, I flat out would not like that netting/weathershield down on top of me. I like to sit up inside my hammock and yours looks like you can't do that. At least not without having all that right on you. I would try putting on both ends, a cord, with shockcord tensioners on it, on the higest part of that arch and pull both ends towards the trees so that the netting is lifted up.

Allmost forgot... I'm only familar with the reg clark hammocks, maybe you're doing something wrong in setting this one up?? I don't know!!! You could try e-mail or calling Clark hammocks and asking if it's supposed to look like that.
    Have you tried sleeping with that netting down on your middle section??

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Sorry to hijack my own thread

But.... if you set up the NX-250 correctly there is no issue with the bug netting being anywhere near your body or face.

And once you enter the hammock the netting and weathershield become rather taunt.
    KJ

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

NX-250 Set Up

I have had an NX-250 since May 2009 and have been out in it over 20 nights. During my trips, I have not experienced any sag problems in the netting or weather shield. I usually set up the NX-250 hammock in a taught configuration with just enough sag to allow the zippers to slide freely. That way, the netting and weather shield conform to a good "peak line" down the length of the hammock. I can't really see how Bald Cypress has set things up in his pictures. But, I think some adjustment might help him remove the sag.

As a frame of reference, I am 6' and 204#. I can sit up in the NX-250 with my head just barely brushing the netting/weather shield above me. That works for me. The spreader bars create an open feeling inside the NX-250 that has to be experienced to appreciate.

FWIW, I also have an Eno Singlenest and an Eno Bug Net that I enjoy. With the Eno set up with the Bug Net, I can sit up and extend my arms above my head before touching the peak. So, I can also appreciate having a great deal of room above my head. That is good too.

If the NX-250 is set up properly (not difficult), I think most people will feel like there is more than enough room inside for practical purposes. Personal preference is really all that matters.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    Snugfit underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps

Where do you tie the ridge line cord?

I hauled off and ordered an NX 250, set it up between two trees in my yard within minutes of the UPS guy delivering it and promptly fell asleep. New experience to sleep in this type of hammock and its very nice and comfortable. As light as it is, I had a few minutes of trepidation when I was first laying in it which quickly gave way to zzzz's.

Anyway I was wondering how set to up the ridge line cord that people are talking about?

Very fun forum...giving me all kinds of crazy ideas like maybe throwing my hammock in the saddlebag of my motorcycle and just taking off up north. One thing there is a lot of besides lakes and mosquitos in northern Minnesota is trees.
    "I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early." Yogi Berra

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast