WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps

Ridgerunner sleeping surface with a pad

I'm looking to upgrade my Lawson to a Ridgerunner. I like bridge hammocks since I'm a restless sleeper who shifts sleeping positions frequently at night. With my Lawson it is a fairly flat surface and works well for me. However, with the Ridgerunner I'm wondering if my sleeping experience will be similar.

When using an inflatable pad on the Ridgerunner does it tend to give you a flatter sleeping surface or does it just fold as if your not using anything? I weight about 160 so not a really big guy.

Also, I'm a fair weather camper and wouldn't be out on nights when it gets into the low 30's or below. My Sierra Designs Backcountry is rated for 17 degrees, would that be sufficient for an inflatable or should I look at an insulated pad?

I have a Jarbridge bottom and would like to substitute that with the pad if it will provide the same warmth.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    When I slept in my RR with a partially-filled pad (a ~25" wide Thermorest, I think), it felt wider than it does now with the Lynx underquilt. A gossamer gear pad felt cooler and not as wide.

I carry the (20 deg.) Lynx now on backpacking trips where I don't want to lug a pad around, but it feels more like I'm sleeping in the bottom of a narrow tube -- my feet tend to fall together now.

The Lynx UQ is certainly a very good fit to RR; I'm not sure how an underquilt designed for a gathered end hammock could fit the RR as well. Can't comment on your Jarbridge or the SD Backcountry, or how the RR will compare to your Lawson, though.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    I don't have a RR yet (its in the mail!), but I used a thermarest in my BMBH when car camping or in the back yard and I felt like it helped flatten it out and be a little more comfortable.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I use a 25" wide thermarest in my RR and inflate it well more than half way. Flat lay and no shoulder squeeze. If it's cold outside, I add a Lynx underquilt. Works fine for me.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    The wider pads (~25") will flatten the lay somewhat more and will stay in place better. When I use my 20" wide inflatable, i experience some movement, but not so much that I can't wiggle it back into place. I find that the temp rating of my inflatable pads is about right for insulating at the prescribed outside temperatures, but ymmv.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Exped downmat long/wide lightly inflated stays put, lies flat and makes a great sleep system. I'm a bigger guy, 215# and this is a flat lay!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Not to derail the thread - but do you folks lay on the pad inside the hammock or put the pad between the layers?
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Anybody with a double-layer Ridgerunner would likely put the pad between the layers, where it will almost certainly stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Not to derail the thread - but do you folks lay on the pad inside the hammock or put the pad between the layers?

Definitely between the layers. Never had a problem with it shifting around when I do this. Like others have mentioned the hammock feels a little wider with the pad vs without.

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I put my pad between the layers. I have tried using it on top of the hammock instead of between layers and it definitely feels a bit more tippy.

I use an exped synmat UL7 (78" x 26" x 2.8" @ 3.1R 30degF rating). I have used it below 30 degrees without any problems.

Pads have their own pros and cons, but in the ridgerunner I feel the pros outweigh the cons.

pro
    -i think the ridgerunner is more comfortable with a pad, than without.
    -the pad acts as an underquilt protector/windbreak, so it is better in windy weather than an underquilt.
    -easy to go to ground if necessary. I hike in the smokies a bunch, and they don't allow you to hammock at their shelters along the AT (or at LeConte or Laurel Gap).

con
    -some minor condensation/sweat since the pad is not breathable. My back can get wet on humid nights, but I have never noticed this as being more than minimal. I have noticed much more sweat when using a closed cell foam pad. Sweat formation may be minimized by the channels in the pad, or more likely it is still the same amount of sweat, but the fabric on the shell of the exped pad is better at wicking sweat away so it doesn't feel as clammy.
    -a pad is heavier. My exped synmat ul7 lw is 21 ounces. A full length Lynx 20F underquilt is 17 ounces.
    -a pad takes more time to air up and deflate. I use an exped schnozzel pumpbag to air it up quickly, but attaching a quilt would be easier. The pumpbag doubles as my stuff sack for clothing, top quilt, and air mattress, so it is serving double duty. Deflating the pad is pretty easy. Before I get out of the hammock in the morning, I pull the open the air nozzle and waller around until I stop hearing escaping air.

Anyway, since I find the pad more comfortable, I can overlook the cons that I have thought up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast